Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 07:14 PM   #481  

S/C/G: 181/132.8/130

Height: 5'3.5"

The scale wasn't too mean today. We went to our distant neighbors' 50th do and I only had a small glass of sherbet punch. I weeded the early garden and made some ribs with the help of my instant pot. Four weeks of school left...

Break - goetta, sausage, fried egg, sourdough toast
Snack - sherbet punch, pineapple spears
Dinner - ribs, leftover fried/baked mushrooms, salad
Snack - cran water
Old 05-02-2016, 06:26 AM   #482  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Sorry PrairieQueen! Didn't mean to leave you talking to yourself! I've been staying busy, but I didn't realize it's been a week! And of course, whenever I get away from 3FC, my mind convinces my mouth that I can eat things I shouldn't, lol! I'm back up to about 180! My wedding rings are getting tight. My jeans are getting tight. I am mentally not in it like I need to be. It'd be nice if the weather would get warm and stay warm. I tend to want to eat salads when it's hot outside, lol! You are still doing great! I hope the tests turn out well for your brother! That is scary. I hope he's okay!

Carol Sue, Happy Belated Anniversary!!! That is so sweet that your DH and you met when you were just 14 and 17 and you found each other again! Thank you for the birthday wishes!

ZCA72, you're leaving us? You don't have to go over a discussion about meats and veggies! We already know we all disagree on the nutritional value of various foods, so no big deal. We all agree that one plan is not right for everyone. We're just discussing foods. I'm sure none of us is trying to be confrontational, just conversational, lol! I'm sorry you feel you need to stick with ZC forums, and you are welcome here any time. EDITED TO ADD: On 2nd thought, I suppose you would fit in best with those who are like-minded with your way of eating, so I wish you the best. Good luck!

Rennie, it's May! Looking forward to hearing from you in a couple of weeks!

So although I'm not eating and drinking as well as I want (overeating and drinking too much Diet Dr. Pepper), I am sticking to Carb Days, and so not eating high glycemic carbs every day is still a good thing! May 3rd marks 1 year of doing this! I do have to get the snacking under control though. I said I was taking protein bars off the list and then went out and bought protein bars again! I said I was going to slow down on Diet Dr Pepper and drink more water and then I started drinking more Diet Dr. Pepper again! So right now, that's my weakness. I have to dig down deep and tackle this!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 05-03-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:28 AM   #483  

Whew! Got on the scale this morning and I am 181.5! It just got real. When I looked in the mirror, I noticed weight back on my face, and when I sat down to breakfast I told my DH my weight and absentmindedly he said, "Yeah, you've put on weight," and suddenly he looked up like a deer caught in headlights and quickly added, "But I mean I've put on weight too. We've both put on weight again." I'm glad he said it! I need a harsh reality check. Just knowing I'm eating more isn't helping me stop, so maybe this will! I have to keep weighing myself, and I have to be mindful when I eat again. So today I did what I used to do: I put down my fork between each bite and paid attention to chewing and then took a drink of water before picking up my fork again. I ate a cutie with breakfast but now I'm wondering if I should cut fruit back out. I haven't made up my mind about that yet. I have two weeks until I leave to spend two weeks with my Dad (i'll be taking my computer with me so I'll be coming on here) and I want to be solidly back in the mid 170s by then, so that's my short-term goal. And of course, my long-term goal is to get back down to 164 and hopefully beyond so I'll have a little leeway while still in the normal weight range. So speaking of reality, protein bars are back in the house. Diet Dr. Pepper is still in the house. I don't want to just throw them away, although I should, but I'm not going to, so I have to be smart about this. I have to stop using the protein bars as a sugar craving fix or as a snack and only use them as I originally did, as a meal replacement when I can't sit down to eat lunch. As for the Dr. Pepper, I have to try to wean myself off it. I had started that a week ago, but the more stressed I get, the more I turn to it. I have to THINK. I cannot just grab it without thinking about it. I have to become more mindful of everything that is crossing my lips.

Week 52:
5/1--180
5/2--181.5
5/3--
5.4--
5.5--
5.6--
5/7--

Today's Meals:
Breakfast:

2 fried eggs
2 slices of bacon
Fage yogurt with Mio
Cutie (clementine orange)
Mio water

Lunch: @ local sports grill with friends
Large salad with chicken, craisins and ranch dressing
Water

Tea Time:
Crystal Light Mango water
Yogurt with Mio

Dinner:
2 Cheeseburger patties
Baked beans
Water with Mio

Today's Exercise:

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 05-02-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:39 PM   #484  

I've been taking prescription strength ibuprofen the last few days. I hope that's not going to get in the way of me trying to shed water weight after Carb Days. My RA has really been acting up, so I am trying to help it without going back on RA meds. I have a nerve pad in my left foot that has acted up off and on from the time I was diagnosed with RA about 20 years ago and it has really kicked in over the last two weeks. I would go walking today if it weren't for that, but I'll have to wait until it's under better control or I'll just make it worse. My knees are giving me fits too, and my middle finger on my right hand is really starting to lean to the right like arthritic hands do. The knuckles on both hands hurt but that one in particular. The ibuprofen helps, so although I don't like taking any meds, I'll take it until things start to feel better, which I hope will be very soon!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 05-02-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:10 PM   #485  

Oh Jacqui! I hate to hear you are having such pain Hopefully, when warm weather finally gets to Ohio you can get out and about more, things will turn around.

I'm counting the days u till summer holidays are here! Once we get back from England, I've got so much cleaning and projects I want to get done.

Break - goetta
Snack - tangelo
Lunch - sloppy joe filling, tangelo
Snack - tangelo
Dinner - sloppy joe sandwich, sweet potato oven fries, spinach salad
Snack - cran water
Old 05-03-2016, 09:46 AM   #486  

Yay! I'm down a lb, so apparently the ibuprofen is not going to get in the way. I'm so glad!

PrairieQueen, thank you. I'm hoping I'll get it back under control soon! Oh, how I remember those days of counting down to the end of school! I still think the teachers were happier for summer than the kids! I know I was, lol! You're taking a trip to England, how wonderful!!

Hi Carol Sue and Rennie!

Week 52:
5/1--180
5/2--181.5
5/3--180.5
5.4--
5.5--
5.6--
5/7--

Today's Meals:
Breakfast:

2 fried eggs
2 slices of bacon
Fage yogurt with Mio
Mio water

Lunch:
Sliced pepperoni with melted mozzarella cheese on it (my version of a pizza)
Water with Mio

Tea Time:

Dinner:
3 medium boiled eggs (need to go grocery shopping!)
Fage yogurt with Mio
Water with Mio

Today's Exercise:

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 05-03-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:22 PM   #487  

Oh hey, today is my 1-year anniversary of slow-carbing! I wish I hadn't relaxed my plan recently and jumped back up on the scale, but hey, I'm still here and I'm still at it and that is a feat for me! At this time a year ago, I weighed 220 lbs! Never again! I may not be perfect at this (none of us are), but I am so much better off than I used to be! And I am learning as I have my slip-ups that I REALLY can't be away from 3FC. Yes I am busy. I have other things I need to do. I have a DH pressing me for time. But whenever I get away from here, even if only for a week, I slip up. So this morning, when my DH once again tried to involve me in work without giving me time to get online, I said, "I can't! I have to get on 3FC. It's a priority because if I don't, I'm going to keep getting bigger. This is the only way I have a chance of keeping my weight down, so I have to do this first." I know he doesn't understand. He thinks I'm just playing around on the computer, but it really is more than that. When I'm not here, I make decisions I wouldn't otherwise make, decisions I don't want to make. It's just too easy to think, "Oh this little bit won't hurt." It will, and deep down I know it will! (I know because I don't want to have to write it down here, lol!) So as long as I am coming here and writing things down and talking things over with my friends on here, who are so supportive and encouraging and who tell me like it really is when I need them to, it's easier for me to stay on track! So one year today of slow-carbing and sticking with 3FC! That's a record for me! And you can bet your bottom dollar my jeans will be loose on me again very soon! (They better be since I donated all my bigger sizes, lol!)

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 05-04-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:38 PM   #488  

Yeah Jacqui! I hear you on 3FC keeping you (and me) honest. That's why I've been talking to myself for a week; I need to keep track of my days and what I'm eating, weigh-ins, etc. I also like to lurk and read about successes and try to help others that ask.....you know the teacher in us doesn't turn off easily you'll be back on track in no time. I'm just waiting for Carol Sue to jump in with some "encouragement."

Break - goetta, V8 juice
Snack - tangelo
Lunch - bunless French dip, tangelo
Snack - tangelo
Dinner - chicken quesadilla, lite beer
Old 05-03-2016, 08:38 PM   #489  

Sometimes Carol Sue takes a break and now may be one of those times. Hopefully she'll be back soon! You are SO close to your 1st goal! That's so exciting! Definitely keep posting! Believe me, when you stop, it is so easy to slip up. I won't let you talk to yourself for a week again. Sorry about that!
Old 05-04-2016, 08:43 AM   #490  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Ok. I really need to come back and be accountable!

I have been OP now about 9 days and happily dropped 6 pounds of bloat.

I feel huge. This is the biggest I have ever been! So here I am. I am back
Old 05-04-2016, 08:44 AM   #491  

I'm back into the 170's! This plan works so well for me when I do it properly! For about 3 months, I was so hungry though. I had such a hard time not overeating. I really do believe in the leptin theory that says your body sabotages you to try to get your weight back up. I don't know if the researchers have it all right on that theory but I do think there's something to it. I feel like I'm in a good place again now though. I overate for 3 months but I kept my plan going, sticking to eating high glycemic foods only on Carb Days, and now after the jolt of finding out I was back in the 180s, I feel ready to get back down to business! Now if I can just get past the Diet Dr. Pepper! But hey, 179! I'm on my way back down and it's great to be starting here instead of at 220 again!

PrairieQueen, it looks like it's going to be a beautiful day! I hope you'll have time to spend in your garden after school!

Hi Carol Sue and Rennie! Miss y'all! Come back soon!

Week 52:
5/1--180
5/2--181.5
5/3--180.5
5.4--179
5.5--
5.6--
5/7--

Today's Meals:
Breakfast:

2 fried eggs
2 slices of bacon
Fage yogurt with Mio
Mio water

Lunch:
Ham
A handful of walnuts
Mio water

Tea Time:

Dinner: @ local sports grill with friends
Large salad with chicken, craisins, and ranch dressing
Water with lemon

Today's Exercise:

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 05-05-2016 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:44 AM   #492  

SUM! Yay! So glad to have you back!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 05-04-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:35 AM   #493  

Here's the original "Fat Trap" article about the Leptin Theory: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/ma...trap.html?_r=0.

I just came across this video on Yahoo today about former Biggest Loser contestants gaining their weight back, which also mentions leptin: https://gma.yahoo.com/biggest-loser-...wellness.html#.

As I said above, I do think there's something to the Leptin Theory. I don't know if they have it all right, but I do think leptin plays a part. What I wonder is if you need to give your body (and mind) a break from dieting if you've been doing it a long time before it will start to lose again. I got down to 164 ("normal" weight) in January. I got back up to 181.5 on Monday. I stuck to my plan except for the fact that I was no longer feeling full after meals, so I kept snacking on protein bars. Plus, I was drinking Diet Dr. Pepper instead of water. I think drinking water is major for effective weight loss. Now I'm mentally ready again and I'm not feeling that hunger like I was. I'd love to know what happened to make things click again. It'd be easy to say it was the shock of the scale and my hubby's "you've gained weight again" comment, but I don't know for sure. I've gained all my weight back and then some plenty of times, and the scale and my DH's comments didn't stop me then. Then again, maybe the scale/comment made me realize I don't want to throw all my hard work down the tubes this time. Anyway, I do think leptin has something to do with the body trying to get you to eat more and burning fewer calories, but I also think when you get to a certain point, you can flip that switch again. Of course, my opinion is just based on my own experience and we all have different experiences. I just know I've been a yo-yo dieter all my life, and although I've always gained the weight back and then some, I've also always been able to take it back off. I'm hoping that will hold true this time too. Up and down 20 lbs is still yo-yoing in my mind. I'm willing to allow myself a range of 10 lbs for maintenance, but 20 lbs is more than just maintenance to me. Even with my mind made up that I will only allow 10 lbs, I still go beyond that though! Is the Leptin Theory the reason? Lol, sorry for anyone reading this! I'm thinking out loud so it's rather stream-of-consciousness writing!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 05-05-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:06 PM   #494  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Hi. I'm here. I had a good talk with myself, and I came to the conclusion that I joined 3FC in an effort to lose weight, but I have lost nothing the whole time I've been here. I lost that first 20 lbs before, and miraculously kept it off, but can't get lower. I believe I got a new set point and my body is happy with that. I have never gained it back, thankfully. I thought if I would get away from talking and thinking about weight all the time, something would change. Nope. Still no loss, or gain. Now they came out with that story about Biggest Loser, where all the contestants except one gained their weight back over 6 years. It seems the body will forever be trying to get that weight back. The one woman who did not regain, but instead kept losing, was not a winner. She only lost 80 lbs (compared to huge losses of the others), and they think that the reason she did not regain is because she lost much slower than the others. It's true that it has to be a lifestyle change, not a temporary diet change. But there's more to it than that. Even people who do not go back to their old eating habits get long plateaus and some regain. The study says that losing weight makes you body require much fewer calories than a normal person of the same weight. People get stuck at a plateau and keep trying every trick in the book to get that next pound to come off, or even keep them off. Everyone gets so frustrated over it. All we think about is food, what and when we are going to eat or not eat. I can show you people who followed every different plan and lost very well. But on the same plans, my weight just sticks there. All my bloodwork has improved, my heart tests all come back good, so my doctors are thrilled. But I want to fit into those pants I have that got a little too tight. I'm not asking to be back to 135 again. I would be delighted to lose just another 20 lbs.

So instead of worrying about my weight, I will just talk to the friends I have made and cheering for them and giving encouragement. And let the chips fall where they may.

Jacqui, I knew you would not have a problem getting back on plan. Your slow carb plan works so well for you!

PQ, you have done very well, also, and I get an education, googling some of the foods you eat. LOL

Sum, welcome back. I hope being accountable helps you get that weight back off.

I am not normally one to list my meals, but so far today I have had one meal. I don't know if it was breakfast or lunch. I had onion, cabbage and kale sauteed all together. It was delicious, but I didn't have any Feta Cheese to sprinkle on top. I wasn't real hungry, but wanted to eat something before I exercise at 12:30.

EDIT: Jacqui, we were typing at the same time. For some reason, I have not been able to open links on 3FC for the past couple weeks. I can open them only if I hold down the Ctrl key while clicking on them and can open links anywhere else. Go figure. I will have to come back after exercise and read your links.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 05-04-2016 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:53 PM   #495  

Welcome back Sum and Carol Sue! Being a scientist first and teacher second, I do a lot of research and always have. I totally agree with you Carol Sue...slow and steady wins the long-term race. I am a firm believer that long-term zero carbs is not a healthy lifestyle with serious risk factors. Short-term I can see it being great to kick start a weight loss plan. There's more cons than pros, though, for following it in the long-term. I've found that limiting my "cheap" carbs and keeping all the good ones is working well for me. When my mom stays on track she actually loses a bit too. You're not going to drop a baby overnight but it slowly comes off.

I just started taking half my dose of bp meds and it was 116/71 today!! Doc had told me when I reached the point of dizziness, it was time to halve the tablets and monitor more. The school nurse is a friend and so supportive....I'm going to go 3x a week until schools out to monitor.

On another note, I have had a wild idea for several years now hiding in the back of my head to start a new summer/weekend business that hubs and I can do together (or not). I've researched it to death for my state and county, including costs, business plans, and small business loans. This week I've started committing things to paper. If I'm still excited about it in two years, I'm going to do it.........

Break - sausage McMuffin
Lunch - bunless French dip, pineapple spears (which gave me a bellyache later)
Snack - tangelo
Dinner - homemade beef quesadilla w/guacamole & sour cream
Closed Thread