Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 03:04 PM   #376  
Bring sexy back

Height: 5'6"

I have the fitbit flex. It also adds some steps (not a lot) when I am folding laundry. My brother in law is a nurse practitioner and he does hospital rounds for his job...he said that the fastest way to get in steps is to give CPR. I hope I never find that out- card playing is way more relaxing LOL - If you have CPR training it is pretty strenuous so I don't think it's really cheating if you are shoveling or doing CPR...but card playing definitely isn't deserving of steps!

So I was down 4.5 today. I cut out all the allowed carbs except for 1-2 fruit. Maybe that will help, either that or no sweeteners. I hope I have hit on something and it's not just a one time thing.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:20 PM   #377  
maintaining since 9/2013

Mary Meant to answer your question about Navy Nurse Corps. I did it in the 1980s when there were too few medical support staff in the military to legally go to war. Then everything downsized, so I'm not sure where things stand now. They had just begun to institute weight & phys. fitness requirements. It was stressful--I always dieted before that yearly exam. There may be a new program now--definitely worth googling. EDIT, ask at your school's career planning office, too. That's how I learned about it. I learned about the close ties btwn Marine Corps & Navy when I got called up to prepare for deployment right before Kuwait invasion. Thinks I, "oh how cool, wear those cute Navy whites and live on a big hospital ship, away from danger". In reality, I was to be attached to a desert field hospital supporting the Marines. If you are with the Marines, you are right where the action is. But they never did call me up because the war ended so fast.

Oh WOWOW that's a great whoosh, Mary. Even if it bounces around a bit, you're headed in the right direction. WTG!!!!!!

Last edited by mars735; 08-01-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:41 PM   #378  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Carol Sue, I love Aldi's. Unfortunately, it's across town and I always forget about it. Kroger is so close, it's within walking distance. It seems as if the only time we make it out to Aldi's is around Christmas when I'm going to be making a big Christmas dinner and I'm trying to find the best priced items. I wish I'd remember it more! I'm sorry to hear that about your phone. Getting a new phone is nice but the cost sure isn't.

Bewildered, we probably all get a little blue sometimes when we think about how fast time has passed. I still find it hard to believe my precious little babies are in their mid-20's, married, and having babies! Even so, I really am enjoying this age, apart from the aches and pains, lol, so those blues always pass, and then things look up again! Hang in there! Thank you for the encouraging words on losing weight the 2nd time around! I hope it continues!

Mars, your braised lamb shanks sound wonderful! I've actually never had lamb. I've heard you really have to cook it right for it to be good, so I've never attempted it, and since I wasn't sure I'd like it, I've never ordered it from a restaurant. But it just sounds like it'd be really good.

Mary, woohoo on a fantastic weigh-in! You are definitely doing something right, even if you can't figure out exactly what's responsible, lol! Great job!

Rennie and Chickadeee, I hope y'all are having a good weekend!
Old 08-01-2015, 04:50 PM   #379  
Bring sexy back

I just wanna make it clear it's 4.5 lbs lost overall, not just overnight LOL

I would totally die if my husband found out my weight so I write in my journal how much from my start weight I am

Mars- I LOVE lamb...it is my favorite. I have never cooked it at home. I have only had it at really nice restaurants. I am not sure how to pick fresh lamb and I don't really trust the grocery stores for certain things (like the odder meats and fresh fish). There is goat in the grocery store here but I am a little nervous for that, too.

We
Old 08-01-2015, 04:50 PM   #380  
maintaining since 9/2013

Carol Sue that Goodwill pot could be a steal, esp with your discount. Here's a link to a website that describes & has a picture. http://www.kitchentotable.com/produc...lay-bakers.php

The unglazed clay has something to do with perfectly cooking things and retaining nutrients. I think it's a nice comfort thing. Crock pots are nice too. I like that this is dates back to antiquity.

Any news on the cell phone?

Jacqui Yes, I think lamb would depend a lot on how it's prepared--it has a strong flavor. The thing I liked about this recipe (which could work with beef) is the braising. The secret is that you have to sear the meat ahead of time. Otherwise it boils in the clay pot and is rubbery. But if you sear it well and then let if cook it ints own juice for 2 hrs in the pot, the meat is so tender it falls off the bone.

I ate a nice fig today, very sweet. And a lot of cheese. Also a store bought salad of heirloom tomatoes & peach slices. It looked good but I don't get the big thing about heirloom tomatoes. Nothing tastes like a tomato anymore unlike you grow it at home.

Bewildered As usual Jacqui has said summed it up, about regrets & the blues. I'd like to add that the process of life review seems to be a part of this life stage. There may be many regrets for time wasted. However once you are acknowledge those regrets as they come up, they fade. Then you are lighter and freer to go through your life. There's just that much less baggage!
Old 08-01-2015, 05:04 PM   #381  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Mars, after I posted, I googled and read up about the clay roasters and decided I wanted it, so I went right back to Goodwill and bought it. After what I saw online, I got a steal at $5.99. It looked like it was a little stained inside, but I soaked it in water and rubbed it with a dish cloth and now it looks great, so I think it was surface dirt. There are tons of recipes online so I can't wait until fall/winter until I'm willing to turn on my oven. Mine is Romeropf. It's a 4 qt, good size for a nice meal.

My mother used to make leg of lamb and I liked it. I've never cooked it myself. I don't think DH would eat it. Is gyro meat lamb? I thought I heard that it was. I like gyros and DH eats them, too. There aren't too many things I don't like, and I am usually willing to try new things. DH sticks with the same old foods, over and over again.

Jacqui, my phone is a Tracfone Android phone. I got it from HSN. For $99 I got the phone and 1 year of service with 1200 min, texts and data. This came out to around $8 per month, which is good for me, because I don't use it much. Minutes roll over, so when I got it I rolled over a ton of minutes from my old phone, and right now I still have 1600 minutes. That seems like more than I should have, but I'm not going to argue. Now I went to HSN and I can get the same deal with a Samsung Android Phone for $79.95. Comes out to $6.67 per month. Where can you get a cell phone for that? My year was going to run out Dec 15 and at that time I would have had to buy more time/minutes anyway. A 1 year card is $99, so doing it this way, I'm getting the phone free and saving $20. I realize I'm probably getting the cheapest phone out there, but the deal works for me. This might have been why the phone broke so soon. I probably could have submitted a claim with the 1 year warranty, but I was going to have to spend some money by Dec 15, anyway. Now I will have the 4.5 months leftover from the old phone, plus 12 months, with the 1400 rollover minutes from the old phone and the 1200 new minutes. I think I will be set!!! I need to get some more friends so I have someone to text and call. LOL I have used Tracfones for years, but they were just $10 flip phones until I "splurged" and got this Android. We still have our landline. I probably would not recommend this HSN deal for someone who's cell phone was their only phone.

Mary, I was an exerciser off and on through out my lifetime, belonging to gyms, the YMCA, etc. Then a long period of being dormant. LOL Now, at 69, I realize if I don't get back to being active I am going to be one of those people I see with walkers, scooters, etc. I'm not knocking it, I realize some people have medical problems and they need them, but I hope I never do. I have stairs in my house and I hope I never need a stairlift. Just with the past increase in my exercise, I have noticed it being better getting around, and less pain. Staying active is definately the key to mobility in the senior years.

When I am shopping at Walmart I am usually moving at a pretty good clip and my Fitbit adds a few flights of stairs. There are no stairs in Walmart! LOL
Old 08-01-2015, 07:18 PM   #382  
Bring sexy back

Ok dropping in quick to share...
been seeing you ladies eat a lot of yogurt. I love the flavor but I can only make it halfway through before the texture is just bleh to me. Tonight I took 2 cups of plain yogurt, 2 TBSP ff cream cheese (you really low carbers could easily use cream cheese or just skip it), 2 packets of true lime, 2 packets of splenda, and 2 bloomed packets of knox unflavored gelatin...I heated the dairy parts and mixed everything in (also a little bit of vanilla extract) then bloomed the gelatin in a tiny bit of water and mixed it quickly into the yogurt. It set after about an hour to a simulation of a no bake crustless key lime pie.

I am thinking you could also use sugar free gelatin in flavors to get cool flavors. If you want a crust some people use nuts, but I am just looking for a way to eat yogurt that appeals to me. It's just like baby food and the texture does nothing for me. Unflavored gelatin adds no carbs but adds a smidgen of protein.

Last edited by Dairy Fairy; 08-01-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:52 PM   #383  

Mary, that's pretty ingenious and sounds delicious! I'm curious, does the smoothness of pudding also bother you? I love the consistency of yogurt but I totally get it. I have a texture issue with adding anything like granola to yogurt. I have an aversion to that bumpiness. I'm not sure if I could do nuts in it or not. I like nuts in ice cream. Oh, and I can't do tapioca pudding. However, how different can grits be from tapioca's consistency and I LOVE grits. Go figure! And I figured you meant 4.5 lbs overall, so still yay!

Carol Sue, wow! That IS quite a deal! My DH would jump head over heels for a phone and plan for under $10 a month and yours is WAY under! We have no landline though, so like you said, that probably wouldn't work for us. I hope you'll be pleased with your new Samsung Android. That's what I have and I like it a lot.

Mars, oh my, that sounds wonderful! The next time I go to a really nice restaurant that serves lamb, I'll have to try it!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 08-01-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:29 PM   #384  
maintaining since 9/2013

Lightbulb

Mary 4.5 lbs is great any way it comes! The Key Lime sounds so good! I'm not a yogurt lover, but I would sure like it in that recipe!

Carol Sue You scored some great deals today. I still have my landline, not sure why as the voice recorder is almost impossible to discern. Mostly telemarketers call on that line. Maybe it's time to take the leap & let it go.

Re gyros, I've had it with other meats, even chicken. I don't know what is the official Greek version.

I'm having a delightfully lazy day. Got a Barbara Kingsolver book from the library. Hankering for one of chickadeee's brownies. Maybe I'll just look at the picture

Has anyone ever tried bullet proof coffee? My work buddy drinks coffee with butter and coconut oil every morning and doesn't feel any need to eat until she gets home for dinner. She said it tastes really good.

Last edited by mars735; 08-01-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:11 AM   #385  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I just lost a big long post!!!

Mars, here is Wikipedia's explanation of a gyro.

A gyro [ˈʝiro] or gyros [ˈʝiros][note 1] (Greek: γύρος, gyros, literally 'turn') is a Greek dish made of meat cooked on a vertical rotisserie, normally beef, veal, mutton, pork or chicken, or other alternatives such as feta or haloumi cheese, and usually served in a pita or sandwich, with tomato, onion, and tzatziki sauce.

I have never heard of any except lamb. At least I thought it was lamb.

BPC is a big thing on Atkins forums. I never tried it. I don't buy grass-fed unsalted butter but I guess you could use regular butter. It has to be made in a blender because no other way mixes it well enough. DH is usually still sleeping when I get up and I don't want to turn on the blender. Also, if I don't eat my eggs for breakfast it screws up my whole day.

Would it be any different if you just ate a spoonful of butter and a spoonful of coconut oil?

We don't get many telemarketers. For about a year we have been getting robo-calls for my step-daughter saying that they will start legal preceedings if she doesn't respond. But since this has been going on for over a year, they obviously aren't going to start any legal preceedings. She has a different last name than us and hasn't lived her for 25 years. My landline is tied in with my TV cable and internet and I just recently found out I can block up to 12 numbers so I blocked the 2 numbers the robocalls come from. They used to call daily, but we haven't had a call for a week. They COULD start calling from a different number, but I would block that one too. It's unlikely that they know they are blocked. Being a robo call, there is not a person there to hear "This party is not accepting calls from this number." We don't give out our cell phone numbers. Most people call our landline and leave a VM if we don't answer. Our family knows if we aren't home, call our cell phones. DH has a Consumer Cellular phone that is $15 per month. If we got rid of our landline, we would probably have to get better cell phones, so it wouldn't really save money.

One time on our way to Texas Roadhouse I called them to get our name on call ahead seating. After that, I started getting all sorts of advertising robo calls from them on my cell phone, wasting my minutes. I ended up telling them to take my number out of their system and I won't be doing that again. When I first got this cell phone number, I was getting tons of calls and texts for the guy who had this number before, but eventually that stopped.

I think I mentioned before that I'm not crazy about yogurt, but I like to buy the regular custard style yogurt (not Greek) and put it in the freezer. You can take it out at any degree of frozen that you like. My favorite is peach and when I freeze it, it's like sherbet. It doesn't really work with the yogurt with fruit in it that you have to mix. I haven't done that for a while because of the carbs and sugar in the yogurt are not really good for my diabetes. There are a lot more carb foods I prefer if I'm going to eat carbs.

I think I'm just hanging out here to be sociable. I have done well with my eating the past 2 days and I'm back down under 200, and hope to keep going this time. We'll see!
Old 08-02-2015, 10:13 AM   #386  
maintaining since 9/2013

Carol Sue I sure hope you do keep hanging out here to be sociable. You are such an integral part of this thread! Yay for getting under 200, I'm always rooting for you.

That's so obnoxious about Roadhouse hijacking the reservation system to send you advertising! I had that happen with a Walgreen's prescription, ended up opting out. They are getting sophisticated, too. Anyday I expect get a pop up saying 'You passed a liter of urine this morning, would you like to try a sample of Depends?" I was getting some robocalls even on the cell, and finally figured out how to block #s. Definitely sounds like a scam with your step-daughter.

Thanks for the info re bulletproof. i have similar issues with noise because of neighbors in my condo bldg. I don't think my body was designed to eat a lot of butter everyday. Maybe I'm too imprinted from all those yrs of being told it was bad for us. The same "experts" who told us that are the same ones who changed their tune. Butter is bad, now butter is good. What will they say in 10 yrs when they accumulate new statistics? I don't have all that much confidence in them. I'd rather make my own mistakes.

Interesting about the gyro. I assumed it was lamb as well. I think a good way to enjoy lamb would be a kabob, as long as it wasn't over done and dry.

Starting the new month, I used my SAD light this morning since it's noticeably darker. I also took a set of measurements, not necessarily in the right places but places that are easy to remember for consistency.

Up 1.6 lbs today from yesterday to 167; I thought it would be more because of how much cheese I ate. It's actually more uppage from the lower weight I saw this week, +2.4, so I will not get smug, lol!

Last edited by mars735; 08-02-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:08 PM   #387  
`

Morning everyone! Hoping for some much needed rain today!

Carol Sue, glad you got your new cell phone! I’m like Jacqui and don’t have a landline obviously and didn’t have one when I had a house either. I use my smart phone for so many things that aren’t voice related. I would be really lost without it. As far as just eating a spoon of CO or grass fed butter, no difference, I am sure. My problem is I just do not like CO by itself. Now, the grass fed butter is another story.

Mars, Wow! Your career is so impressive! I felt my mother hen come out when you mentioned deployment. I can’t even imagine.
carb day foraging! That reminds me that I’m already getting excited to go back to Trader Joes and gasp, look at the middle aisles.

Disclaimer: I have a bad habit of composing my comments as I read instead of reading and going back so any replication to others’ posts is purely coincidental.
Mars, I had already made my morning rant before seeing your bulletproof coffee post. Sometimes I think you are in my head… Anyway, adding to this now that it might make a meal because it is filling, but I have a tendency to sip on a big cup of coffee for several hours trying to keep from falling asleep at 6pm over here. I don’t do well when I skip breakfast, but it would be easy for me to skip lunch and that could be why. However, I didn’t know you were supposed to put both CO and grass fed butter; I thought it was just the butter. That makes me feel a little less guilty about what I wrote in my morning rant.

Mary, great job! Thanks for clarifying about your cumulative weight loss total. AT first I thought you had lost 9.5 lbs in two days and I’m like, GIGANTIC and shocking WHOOSHes! But, 4.5 lbs in two days is still a big whoosh! So glad things are finally coming together for you!

Jacqui, thanks for the hugs and words about my blue-ness. Yep, the aches and pains are a b!tch, but we have great futures ahead of us and what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger!
I have never tried lamb either. It always sounds delicious even with the little bo beep images running through my mind.

Morning rant: I’m up 2/10ths of a pound so yay for sort of maintaining. I feel so guilty eating all this fat, but it does make eating low carb less boring. It is hard to do this after 30 years of being told that fat is bad for you. I don’t even feel comfortable posting my menus and might not for awhile. My menus are usually the same thing over and over anyway. I will keep myself accountable by admitting to any added (non dairy) sugar or "bad" carbs. Now, into my 3rd week, I have only done that on Carb Day so far. I almost put OVCO AND grass fed butter in my coffee this morning. I have created a monster. I don’t have a blender, but I do like the taste. At least with JUST the OVCO, I feel like there are other health benefits besides the fat. BUT, I am enjoying the taste of the grass fed butter. Maybe I’m fooling myself. Sorry that I am saying this all out loud...with all this said, I will continue this experiment and not count the calories...for now. I have been weighing just about everything that isn’t veggies to stay at “serving” levels. Meeting in the middle, I guess.

Well, some idiot decided to set fire to my park across the river. The mountain range was alread looking a bit smokey when I woke up ysd because of the big forest fire to the South of us. By late afternoon, no more mountains, just smoke. Luckily, only 5 acres were scorched saved mostly by all of the hard trails but I could smell the smoke through the AC for a couple of hours. We haven’t had rain since I have been here; almost 3 weeks. So un-north-westerny.

I have to report that I stayed in bed until after 6am. Shocker! I haven’t done that in years. I think I got some good sleep in there amongst the peers at the clock throughout the night. I felt so lazy when I awoke. Like a real vacationer. I am off to some touristy spots tomorrow - mostly waterfall trails. Mountain views, but no climbing this time. I should get lots of exercise and am saving my strength.

Last edited by Bewildered; 08-02-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:28 PM   #388  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
Carol Sue I sure hope you do keep hanging out here to be sociable. You are such an integral part of this thread!
Carol Sue, I agree with Mars on this 110%!!! It wouldn't be the same at all without you here with us! Oh, that is so frustrating to lose a long post! I know it's happened to me a few times! Congrats on getting back into Onederland!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
They are getting sophisticated, too. Anyday I expect get a pop up saying 'You passed a liter of urine this morning, would you like to try a sample of Depends?"
Mars, you are so funny! Haha! I love it! I'm afraid I can't help with the coffee. When it comes to hot drinks, I'm a tea drinker.

Bewildered, oh no! That's terrible about the park being set on fire! How fortunate that more acreage wasn't damaged! Yay on maintaining! I know experimenting can seem a little daunting but by the same token, what's the worse that can happen? We get it wrong, gain a couple of lbs, and have to change course? I figure that makes it worth the try!

Chickadeee and Rennie, where are you?

So I just read an article that says researchers may have found another major piece of the puzzle to Alzheimer's disease: A sedentary lifestyle! I need to remember that when I think about skipping exercise!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 08-02-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:44 PM   #389  
`

Jacqui, that is interesting about the Alzheimers. I guess it means specifically lack of exercise? I think of people like Ronald Reagan and people really close to me who worked almost their entire life for over half the day, but in office type jobs. Terrible! I believe that was also one of the MCT arguments that had me almost trying it.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:48 PM   #390  

Not bad! I thought I would be up more today, but apparently I came down a pound from the jump up the day before but didn't come down all the way because of yesterday being Carb Day. I hope I'm back to 192 in a couple of days!

Week 14:
8/2--193.5
8/3--
8/4--
8/5--
8/6--
8/7--
8/8--

Today's Meals:
Breakfast:

2 fried eggs
Greek yogurt with Mio
Mio water

Lunch:
Field greens and veggies salad. topped with turkey, walnuts, and ranch dressing
Mio water

Snack:

Dinner:
Steak
Black beans
Salad with ranch dressing
Mio water

Today's Exercise:
15 minutes on my Weslo CardioGlide

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 08-03-2015 at 12:15 PM.
Closed Thread