Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 10:04 PM   #346  

S/C/G: 175/175/120

Height: 5' 0"

Default NEW Here and SOON to be new to this diet!

Hi everyone.. I opened a new thread in Other Reduced Carb Diets about THIS diet and both Rennie and Jackqui came to my aid.. They both suggested coming in here, so here I am.. I'm currently on the Fakeout Nutrisystem Diet, but I'm constantly hungry and I know I'm getting too many carbs.. I mean, I think that's all I"m having practically on this diet.. so as soon as my supply of frozen foods are gone, I'm going to start this diet. I was going to do Atkins, but when I read that this one has Beans and a CHEAT DAY, I was mega happy.

I SKIMMED through this thread and have some questions (I hope I don't have too many, I don't want to be tossed out, lol).

1) Should I weigh each day?
2) Butter is ok, right?
3) Nuts? Really? Like how many and when?
4) Peanut Butter? Why? All Natural or regular?
5) What about cheese?
6) Some people are drinking milk? I think I may have read that wrong?
7) What would be some good snacks.. I usually get snacky after dinner.. And unfortunately, I have a big ole Weight Watchers bag of popcorn.. I need to break that habit..
8) Heavy Cream is ok with my coffee? (By the way, coffee and creamer is going to be a hard one for me, waaaaaa)
9) Green tea is talked about lots?
10) Are you tired of me already? lol

I think that is it FOR NOW..
Pamela
Old 01-11-2014, 10:07 PM   #347  

Forgot something.. I take a B12 each day, sometimes 2... I think it's got carbs in it because they are those melt in your mouth ones.. I need to stop taking that right? And I take a Fiber pill and a women's daily pill.. nothing prescribed, just something I've been taking for a while now...

Thanks
Old 01-11-2014, 10:43 PM   #348  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

dt, I'm glad you aren't gonna let the scale derail you You have made so many adjustments to your eating and with that know that it will pay off. Slow and steady PLEASE DO NOT GIVE UP … read over the thread again and see how I screwed up, I had Jacqui worried for a bit … but she kept me focused … please read the post here and on 3FC in general … they are so motivating … YOU CAN DO THIS!

Missy at least you are still smiling and that's great any thing close to the 4 is still a VICTORY, even a pound loss is better than a gain … We'll do this. Let's say we'll lose it together, goodness knows I'm trying and I know you are

Thanks Jacqui, I did pretty well today with going eating them back but I had to plan ahead. I also decided that the new treadmills don't give me the challenge that I like so I had a much better burn today I believe.

Pamela, I read your thread this morning and the comments about the L/C, S/O, H/C meals. I did that diet on my own in 2010 and it did work. I had a shake for breakfast or 2 eggs w/cheddar and ham or bran flakes w/ ff milk and a banana, then for lunch and dinner most of the time I had a frozen meal with some added veggies. I always ate a white grapefruit with each meal and had at least two to three of some type of snack. I walked 6 days a week 3.5 miles a day and lost 30lbs in 3.5 months. Now with all of that said I didn't have type 2 diabetes back then so I don't know if I'd try it again. I like this way of eating, it does work for me when I can eat without limits. Right now I am on a fast from sweets, breads, most meats since I eat eggs and cheese, junk food, white potatoes and rice. I think you should come on and start with us and use your frozen meals for lunch or dinner but not both. Just a thought then you can wean yourself away from the parts that the diet is limiting you too instead of giving them up all at once. Just my two cents LOL I asked tons of questions, you can't be kicked out

1) Should I weigh each day? By all means weigh when it is convenient for you. If it will drive you nuts to see a different number on the scale every day then no. But if you can take it like a grain of salt and move on go for it

2) Butter is ok, right? I use spray butter for cooking, but if it is something that I want butter on I use light promise spread

3) Nuts? Really? Like how many and when? I eat ¼ cup of nuts for a snack most days

4) Peanut Butter? Why? All Natural or regular? I also eat natural pb, I know Jacqui uses regular and hasn't had an issue. I have to measure 2 tbsps out in a container because I have no control and would eat a ½ of a jar

5) What about cheese? I use sprinkles of shredded cheese, but I believe the book says no. I don't eat an abundance of it and I don't believe it causes me any issues

6) Some people are drinking milk? I think I may have read that wrong? I used ff evaporated milk in my broccoli cheddar soup but other than that I haven't had any

7) What would be some good snacks.. I usually get snacky after dinner.. And unfortunately, I have a big ole Weight Watchers bag of popcorn.. I need to break that habit.. that's a Jacqui question

8) Heavy Cream is ok with my coffee? (By the way, coffee and creamer is going to be a hard one for me, waaaaaa) When I was drinking coffee I used the sugar free caramel machioto creamer, I haven't had coffee in awhile though but that would be what I'd use so I hope it's ok since I know I will probably add coffee in next month occasionally

9) Green tea is talked about lots? I heard it works not sure for what but I like it so I drink it before work, on my way to work, and after work

10) Are you tired of me already? lol LOL no Jacqui will shine some light on these I'm sure

I wouldn't stop taking any natural supplements, but that is just me. My doctor has me on Vitamin D, magnesium, and Omega-3/Fish Oil, I also take Vitamin C and I did take B12 but I ran out.

I did 4.5 miles on the treadmill and burned 527 calories. I bought some lentils for the first time. They don't taste bad. I put two slices of turkey bacon in them, not sure if it helped or not. My kids and my husband like turkey bacon, reminds me of rubber so I don't eat it, hope it's good for something and adds flavor . Hoping for a good weigh in tomorrow. I got all of my water in today also

Last edited by love2b150; 01-11-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:18 PM   #349  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Hi Pamela! I'm so glad you're posting with us!

Everyone is doing something a little different and might have a slightly different take, so here are my answers to your questions:

1. You weigh when you want to. I weigh everyday because I like seeing the daily fluctuations. I think it has helped me to understand the overall process of weight loss better. I don't freak out anymore like when I was younger when the scale goes up or stays the same. I know it's going to come back down eventually and it's no big deal. But you weigh when you want to, or don't weigh at all if you'd rather use your measurements or clothes as a weigh loss indicator. Do what works best for you!

2. Butter is on my plan! I use it to cook. I believe Tim Ferriss prefers ghee, but butter works for me.

3. Yep, nuts! Really, lol! I try not to eat more than a handful a day, although I have eaten more before. I have to be careful because they are a domino food for me, and they can be hard to stop eating. I prefer unsalted but if we only have salted in the house, I'll eat them.

4. Peanut butter is a slow carb food in moderation, so it's allowed. Tim Ferriss prefers all natural. I prefer regular Jif!

5. Cottage cheese is allowed. Regular cheese is not. Dairy does not have a lot of carbs, some cheese has no carbs, but dairy does spike insulin which is why it's not allowed. (For some reason cottage cheese doesn't spike insulin in the same way.) I add a little sprinkle of shredded cheese to my salads though and sometimes to omelets if I have them. There are some studies that say dairy actually helps with insulin resistance, so I have no problem allowing my little bit of shredded cheese.

6. Not regular milk but almond milk. Tim Ferriss allows unsweetened almond milk. Oh and I just saw that Rennie uses some evaporated milk for cooking, so that's a modification that she allows. We all do what works for us!

7. I'm afraid popcorn is a no-no on this diet. No grains, not even whole grains. If you like crunchy, nuts are a good substitute. So are seeds like pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds. Celery with peanut butter works. Or celery with tunafish or chicken salad. I don't know if you eat pork rines or would be open to eating them, but those work. I also like to snack on cottage cheese or olives. Really, anything that is allowed, you can snack on. If I liked beef jerky. I would snack on that. I do like summer sausage and I sometimes snack on that. Tim Ferriss prefers you go with organic lean meats, but I eat any meats I want. With that said, bacon makes a pretty good snack, lol!

8. Now see, I personally would make coffee with cream a modification if it meant that much to me. I mean, it's not like it's a lot of cream, so how much can it hurt really? But I'm pretty sure Tim Ferriss would be against it. I'm not sure what his stance is on coffee since I'm not a coffee drinker.

9. Green tea is very healthy. It has lots of antioxidants, and it has a reputation for being an appetite suppressant. Plus, it's great for flushing the body of extra water. (Your body will have days when it holds onto water. It's just natural for it to do that.) I drink Celestial Seasonings Honey Lemon Ginsing green tea. (Some green tea can taste "grassy" and if you get one of those and don't like it, just add a few drops of lemon juice to it. That's the reason I buy the type I do, because of the lemon in it. Plus Celestial Seasonings has one of the best shelf lives for grocery store tea, and shelf life is important to the effectiveness of the antioxidants in green tea.) I add Splenda to mine to sweeten it. Green tea is not a requirement. I've just always been a tea drinker.

10. No! Lol! Being informed is a good thing so ask anything you want! We all learn through each other!

And no you don't need to stop taking your vitamins. You're not trying to go no-carb, just low carb. Your vitamins are fine!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 01-12-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:12 AM   #350  
~Rennie

Ladies and Gentlemen I reached a new low but only by .2 because in mid December I weighed 172.6

This morniing I weighed in at 172.4 (I also got to see 172.2) made me smile, but I recorded the 172.4. BS was as low as it's been in a while 117. Gotta start some where and hope for better/greater because I know it's coming.

Have a great day Everyone
Old 01-12-2014, 10:50 AM   #351  

Congrats Rennie!!! And I am SO glad to see that your blood sugar is under 120! Good for you! Doesn't it feel good to be healthy? Keep going!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 01-12-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:54 AM   #352  

After cheat day, I weigh 171.5. Not too shabby!

Week 26:
1/11: 170 Cheat Day
1/12: 171.5
1/13:
1/14:
1/15:
1/16:
1/17:

Today's Meals:
Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs, a teapot of green tea, Mio water
Lunch: a large veggie salad topped with rotisserie chicken, walnuts, and ranch dressing, Mio water
Snack: pumpkin seeds, Mio water
Dinner: broccoli-cauliflower salad, rotisserie chicken, cottage cheese, a teapot of green tea, Mio water

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 01-12-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:00 PM   #353  
Gary C

Joe congrats on your 32 yr anniversary, and for the 2lb success!
Rennie, So funny how our mind works with the craving's way to hang tough!
Pamela Welcome to slow carbing!
DT, keep the momentum going
Jacqui, Missy, set for success this week.
Speaking of success, picked up some celestial cleanse tea yesterday, moved the scale as well!

Week 2 of 4
1/08 ~ 177.00 (1200cal)
1/09 ~ 176.6 (1000cal)
1/10 ~ 175.8 (1000cal)
1/11 ~ 175.8 (1300cal)
1/12 ~ 173.8
1/13 ~
1/14~
Results Week 01~ -8lbs
Jan 1st> 184.8
Goal > 165
Old 01-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #354  
~Rennie

Thanks Jacqui It does feel good My hopes are to actually stick with it this time and actually get off the meds period. I hope that being in the 130's will do just that.

Thanks Gary, good job on the 2lbs down I'll tell you the grip that food has on a person is insane. Is it a tea that contains senna? If so read the side effects on it. I have some called Smoothe Moves, it has senna so I only drink it if absolutely necessary. I dropped 4lbs after drinking a cup once. It truly moves everything out

B ~ lentils, banana, green tea
Old 01-12-2014, 01:48 PM   #355  
Gary C

Rennie That's a great story! On the 24th I have a Colonoscopy scheduled, one of the joys of turning 50 so "that" experiance coming soon.

NO senna; Natural Detox combines milk thistle, an herb used for centuries to promote healthy liver function, with immune system-supporting echinacea and healthful botanicals like dandelion root, red clover and green rooibos. The result is a tea that helps cleanse your system and supports your body's natural defenses.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:15 PM   #356  

S/C/G: 425.6/366.6/220

Height: 6'2

Good work everyone. Welcome to the new people. Congrats Rennie on the new low! Great job on the 2 pound loss Gary

Week 2:
1/11: 390.2(no cheat day because of last weeks mistakes)
1/12: 392.0(blah, shouldn't have cheated yesterday but oh well)
1/13:
1/14:
1/15:
1/16:
1/17:

Last edited by dtretv100; 01-12-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:21 PM   #357  

Thanks for the welcome everyone..

Jacqui, you are a wealth of information. Ok, I wrote down my grocery list and I think I will get this at the end of the week..

More Questions:

1) Beef Jerky.. a certain carb count? Or any of them? I think once I found these turkey jerky ones that were no carb, or maybe less than, something like that.. What should I be looking for?

2) I originally found some download cheat sheets for this diet and I found one labeled "The 4 Hour Body Food Matrix Slow Carb Diet" And it's a longer list of the foods allowed than one that I had seen that only has a few list of food items to eat. I'm particularly interested in what is listed under Vegetables Continued: Yams and Sweet potatoes are listed.. now.. if I don't ask, I will eat one with my steak and have lots of butter on it.. so I need to ask.. lol Is this really something we should indulge in? It's a starch! Carrots too, but I don't eat cooked carrots, I only sprinkle thin carrot sticks on my salad for cruch.. so I don't think it's a problem.. but yams, sweet potatoes are allowed?

3) I'm really confused on the cheese thing... beans and cheese, that just makes me giddy just thinking I can have it.. so I was thinking jack cheese and refried beans for lunch sometimes.. NO-NO? Should I just say no to cheeses? I can't add cottage cheese to beans, that would be gross I think? Should I just get the shredded and use it sparingly and get over it?

4) Pork Rines for snack.. I can handle

5) OMG, Nuts or seeds for a snack.. I think I can handle that.. lol

6) Heavy cream with my coffee and maybe a splash of sugar free french vanilla flavoring.. I can handle that I think.. plus, I'm trying to cut down to one coffee a day.. it's hard, but I"ve been doing it for a while now.. every now and then I get a craving for it in the middle of the day or in the evening, that's because it's cold.. but weather is changing her in California already.. so hopefully just saying NO will work.. I think out of the week, I have 2 days where I might have more than one coffee a day now.. Before I would have at least 2-3 a day.. WITH fat free creamer, but loads of sugar in that.. yikes!

7) I have a recipe for a slow-cooker turkey chili that is basically pinto, kidney, black bean, ground turkey, then a bunch of veggies of tomato, onion, jalapeno and spices.. this sounds like it's perfect for this diet? Should I post the recipe and you can see and maybe everyone can enjoy? If this is a good to eat recipe, I will be so happy.. I LOVE this chili.. and I have a slow-cooker Pork and Green chili stew recipe that sounds good to go too.. I'll have to post that recipe too.. ??

Pamela
Old 01-12-2014, 02:28 PM   #358  

S/C/G: 425.6/366.6/220

Height: 6'2

Pamela

1) Should I weigh each day? That is your personal preference. If you find the weight natural weight fluctations discouraging, maybe every 2-3 days may work better or once weekly. That is totally personal preference.
2) Butter is ok, right? I would say it is, but because we are allowed to have more carbs then other low carb plans, I would say limit the bad fats and use sparingly. Only my opinion.
3) Nuts? Really? Like how many and when? This is something you are going to have to figure out on your own and how your body reacts. Nuts are triggers for some of us and we don't know when to stop, for others they are perfect filling foods and snacks. Try them out a little bit at a time and see how they work for you. As for when, I don't think time matters but probably best in the more active times of your day.
4) Peanut Butter? Why? All Natural or regular?I don't think it's required for you to eat Peanut Butter. And for us that do, why, is because it is filling and satisfies the sweet tooth. But then you have me, and I can eat eight spoonfuls at a time so am learning to stay away for now.
5) What about cheese?I would say stick to the low fat cheese, as once again we are allowed to have carbs so we should focus on the good fats. Cottage cheese is allowed, and I would say the white string cheese. But I wouldn't say you can't have the others, just limit them.
6) Some people are drinking milk? I think I may have read that wrong?I don't think anyone is bingeing on milk and a lot of us here drink Almond Milk. Which is lower calorie, lower sugar, lower fat, higher in nutrients and very tasty.
7) What would be some good snacks.. I usually get snacky after dinner..
And unfortunately, I have a big ole Weight Watchers bag of popcorn.. I need to break that habit..
I don't see anything wrong with one bag of weight watchers popcorn, I personally would say stick with that. That's my opinion. Because you want to be realistic and know that you can live eating this way.
8) Heavy Cream is ok with my coffee? (By the way, coffee and creamer is going to be a hard one for me, waaaaaa) I am not too sure about this one. I would say use artificial sweetener with some low carb cream yes.
9) Green tea is talked about lots?Not by me lol. It is said to boost metabolism and keep you regular. I don't know too much about it. I limit my caffeine personally.
10) Are you tired of me already? lol Welcome, and come here for support whenever you need it!
Old 01-12-2014, 03:21 PM   #359  
~Rennie

Gary I heard about milk thistle from some one that just happened to hear me talking about diabetes. I never looked into it though. :

Thanks dt, when I go back to having cheat days, they are gonna worry me for sure. I have a ton of trigger foods so it may be best that I never have one. My drooling food right now are these garlic bread sticks that Walmart makes. They smell so good and taste even better and every time I open the pantry they snack me in the face, The other is my husband sitting beside me eating a bag of Utz chips Temptation sure is busy

Pamela, you just gave me some ideas (actually reminders - baked sweet potato with cinnamon, nutmeg an vanilla, splenda, yum; bean and cheese lettuce wrap, yum … please post your chili recipe it sounds really good
Old 01-12-2014, 03:45 PM   #360  

Thanks Gary! I will post the 2 recipes I have. Also, what about sugar free, fat free jellos? I love them and would love to use them in the evenings for a snack.. or sometimes during the day?
Closed Thread