The Slow Carb Diet

You're on Page 2 of 34
Go to
  • TwoTots, good idea, and if anyone else is doing the Slow Carb Diet, modified or not, I hope they'll feel free to join in! It's nice to have a place where we can talk about this specific diet, what we're eating, if/how we're exercising, how it's going along the way. You are down two more lbs?! It is just falling off you! Good luck with your weigh-in tomorrow! Hey, cheat day was a little scary to me at first too, lol! Let's face it, we're not used to eating like that! We've always had to stick to strict diets, and now here this diet is saying eat what you want, you'll gain a few lbs, but it will come back off and then some. That takes a lot of trust! How do they know it will come back off? But it does, lol! As long as we can be patient, it always comes back off. I've learned to become a lot more patient with all water fluctuations now, because our weights do fluctuate day to day, no matter what weight loss plan we use or how "on plan" we stay. Hormones and natural bodily processes all play a part in it. Now I just accept that my weight is going to go up and down and maintain on different days but in the big picture, it just keeps going down! I know what you mean about being amazed by this diet. It still amazes me! Well now, I have some big news! I hit my 2nd mini-goal this morning! I weigh 178 this morning, which is the lowest I've weighed in 13 years!

Week 15--High 181, Low 178
    11/9-181 Cheat Day
    11/10-180
    11/11-181
    11/12-179.5
    11/13-179 Back down to my lowest weight since 2009!
    11/14-179
    11/15-178 Back down to my lowest weight since 2000!
  • Good morning. Well done Jacqui. What a fantastic feeling. I wonder if I can hit my first goal by Christmas. It's the morning of my cheat day! I'm excited.So this week although I went up 4 lbs after cheat day I have lost those 4 plus another 3lbs making my weightloss 10lbs in a little less than 2 weeks!!! Going good. I'm finding that I am cooking more, preparing more foods to have on hand, particularly meat and veg. I'm using my crockpot loads. this week Ive made, stew, lump of ham, pulled pork, a meat and bean chili. I used to avoid going out to try and avoid the temptation of food and alcohol but this allowed cheat day makes it doable.
  • TwoTots, 10 lbs! That is fantastic! If you don't hit your first goal by Christmas, I bet you'll be awfully close! As for me, I'm down another lb today to 177! I've had a lot of luck dropping pounds this week. I'm not sure why. I have increased my green tea consumption and I wonder if that has something to do with it. I've also added Mio flavoring to my water so I think I'm drinking more water too. I'm not drinking much Diet Dr. Pepper right now, just 2-3 little sips a day (and that's only because I always have a can next to me). Normally, I have one cup of green tea in the morning and maybe one in the evening, but I've been drinking 2 pots a day the last few days. I've been battling head congestion this week with the weather changing and the hot green tea has been soothing. I went online to see if I might be drinking too much green tea because 2 pots is at least 6 cups, and there was one doctor that recommended 8-10 cups. Many recommended 4, so I'm not going to worry about drinking 6, especially if it might be contributing to my losing pounds! Oh and crockpots are wonderful! They were just made for the types of foods that are right for us to eat! The dishes you made this week sound delicious! Besides the crockpot, I'm also making use of Ziplock Zip n' Steam bags, which quickly steam foods in the microwave. They are very handy for whipping up steamed veggies in no time! My hubby is a meat and potatoes kind of guy, so the steam bags make it easy for me to make my own healthy veggies on the side. They also steam chicken and fish, so they work out really well. And hey, it's my cheat day too! I had a piece of carrot cake for breakfast, lol! I think cheat day is just brilliant. I don't know if I've ever stuck to a diet over Christmas because who can resist Christmas dinner and Christmas treats? But this year, I'll just make sure I save cheat day for Christmas Day! I'm looking forward to it, and then I'll be able to go right back to low carb as usual! Love it!

Week 16-
    11/16: 177 Cheat Day TOM
    11/17:
    11/18:
    11/19:
    11/20:
    11/21:
    11/22:
  • Hello!!

I've been hearing about this program and doing some reading, and I think it sounds like a good fit for me.

I'll be starting slowly, as I'm not in a position to just throw away the groceries I have and the upcoming week is challenge filled enough without adding a whole new list of dietary demands to it.

Any words of wisdom on the "detox" phase, when coming off carbs? Ideas to overcome the urge to eat an entire cake after a bad day, or something like that? I think the biggest reason I've always had a knee jerk negative reaction to no carb is that I know full well I self medicate with food, so the junkie coming off the drug analogy isn't really that far off for me.

I'm encouraged by the numbers progress that everyone is having, but more encouraged by the change it seems to be making in how everyone is feeling. Looking forward to reporting progress of my own.

Edit: Also, what are your thoughts on juice while on this? Am I okay as long as I'm only juicing no or low carb veggies? I know I was on WW for a while, and juicing on Points is just setting yourself up for failure. Any body have any experience with this?
  • Hi Shel! Since you will be starting slowly because of the groceries you still have left, why don't you focus on weaning yourself off carbs? Just slowly start cutting them out. That might make the transaction easier. However, I would wait to have a full-on cheat day until I had been off the "bad" carbs for 5 days. As for emotional eating, well, going low carb helps with cravings associated with blood sugar levels, but emotional and/or boredom eating is a whole other ballgame. The good news is that's where 3FC comes in! Whenever you want to eat because of emotions or boredom, come on here and post instead. Post in as many threads as it takes but stay out of the kitchen! And repeat this mantra: "I can have it on cheat day." That phrase, especially when I was starting out, made all the difference for me. The way I figure it, I am just so happy to be on a diet with a recommended weekly cheat day that the least I can do is wait till cheat day to cheat, lol! I do think the longer you are on this diet, the easier all kinds of cravings will become. You just won't think of food in the same way. As for juicing, well, I'm not following the Slow Carb Diet as it's written in the book, so I'm all for modifying it to work for you, as long as the modification does work for you. I'd recommend giving juicing with low-carb veggies a try and if it doesn't interfere with your efforts, keep it. Of course, someone following the book plan to the tee may have a different opinion and if you are following the book diet, you may want to try to find out what the book recommends. Anyway, that's my 2 cents! I hope this diet works for you as well as it has for me!
  • Yay! Yesterday was cheat day and I only gained a half-lb! I'm surprised because I had a big slice of carrot cake with cream cheese icing and lots of York Peppermint Patty Pieces (which are like mint M&M's), a slice of pizza, and a double large helping of spaghetti and meatballs! I thought I'd gain at least a couple of lbs. Not only that but TOM came to visit so I figured that would add at least another lb or 2! I did continue to drink 2 pots of green tea, as well as drink Mio water, so maybe that helped. In any event, I hope it's going to be another good week! Even if it's a slow week, I've already lost 6 lbs this month so I'm pretty happy!

Week 16-
    11/17: 177.5
    11/18:
    11/19:
    11/20:
    11/21:
    11/22:
  • You guys are doing so great !!!
    I am really wanting to jump on the low carb/hi protein diet, is there a protein gram goal I should be aiming for daily?
  • Hi napper! I personally do not count carbs or protein grams, but I believe the actual 4-Hour Body Slow Carb Diet recommends that you consume at least 20 grams of protein per meal, especially breakfast.
  • I'm up another half lb today, which is no big deal. I've accepted that daily fluctuations are all a part of the weight loss process. The big picture is all that matters!

Week 16-
    11/18: 178
    11/19:
    11/20:
    11/21:
    11/22:
  • J.D, Your my IDOl
    Usually when I commit to a diet (and I have "committed" to a few), I usually make a sweep of the good stuff in the kitchen ~~~ only to replace the same good stuff in a week or so . Knowing I will have a cheat day seems to really change my attitude this time. Hope to set-up my ticker and stats and such sometime this week. Thanks for being such an inspiration.
    Cheryl
  • How sweet, thanks Cheryl! I hope this diet works for you! I have yo-yo-dieted for most my life, and this is the first time I feel "calm" about my diet. It really is a great fit for me. As for your "goodies" that you normally clear out of your kitchen, if you think they might be too big of a temptation until cheat day, you could always designate a section of your cabinets and/or refrigerator for cheat day foods and then cover them up (with a dish towel or grocery bags or aluminum foil, anything) until cheat day. If you don't think they will be hard to resist because you know you have a cheat day coming up and you can have them then, then great! I have all kinds of goodies in my kitchen because my hubby is not on a diet and he absolutely loves carbs and I mean the worst and yummiest out there, lol! In fact, we just went grocery shopping last night and as we were walking through the bakery section and he was picking out cookies, I kind of marveled by how unaffected I felt in being surrounded by all the breads and baked goods. For the first time ever, I feel like food really has lost its power over me!
  • I got busy yesterday and definitely didn't drink enough water (a no-no, especially with TOM visiting). I want to improve on that today!

Week 16-
    11/19: 178
    11/20:
    11/21:
    11/22:
  • Ok, Jacqui after reading that book you recommended on another thread (at least I think it was you!) (why we get fat and what to do about it[?]) I am gonna give this whole low carb thing an actual try instead of just watching my carbs and trying to keep them nearish to 100. You said earlier in this thread you don't count carbs or protien but do you have a guesstimate for carbs? are you counting cals at all? the whole idea of ditching counting cals is kind of anxiety causing for me lol
  • Hi Pixikat! Maybe Joy recommended the book since she's a librarian. It sounds like a good one! And no, I have NO idea how many carbs or calories I eat! I just eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. That's it! I agree this diet can be scary at first. You're not counting anything, and you're trusting that you'll lose the weight after cheat day, but when I started, the way I figured it, what did I have to lose in trying? Counting calories wasn't working for me because I couldn't stick to it, and the only other option I gave myself was not dieting at all, so I didn't have anything to lose if this diet didn't work out. I'm so glad it did! In fact, I am down to a new low this morning! I weigh 176.5! So my advice is give it a try. That's the only way you'll know if it works for you. I hope it does!

Week 16-
    11/19: 178
    11/20: 176.5
    11/21:
    11/22:
  • Good morning all.My weight this week is stuck. I went up 4lbs after cheat day, TOM came along and I haven't dropped any more this week. it is a bummer, but I will take it in my stride and see how it goes after the next few days. I'm crazy busy in work. lovely to see some new posters. Welcome pixicat and napper. Well done you Jacqui, do you notice no weightloss around your periods?