Old 04-04-2015, 06:45 PM   #31  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Height: 5'9" Age: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by chihuahuameme View Post
What can you eat for 800 calories and aren't you hungry all the time? How do you keep within your macros?
Also where can I put my weight ticker? I can't find edit signature.
It has to do with what you eat, the percentage of fat to protein to carbs, specifically. If 65% or more of your total calories come from fat, 25% (or less) from protein and the remainder from carbs (ideally less than 50 total grams per day) your body eventually enters a state called ketosis, which means it is using a byproduct of breaking down fat for fuel as opposed to glucose. When you are in ketosis your appetite is naturally suppressed. Eating very low calorie or intermittently fasting on low carb/high fat (ketogenically) is really easy.

You can't have a signature until you have a minimum number of posts, I can't remember the number but you can check the FAQs.

Last edited by ReNew Me; 04-04-2015 at 06:46 PM.
ReNew Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:03 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 90.9/88.6/80

Height: 163cm

I just discovered I have to count calories too. I'm sticking with 1100 ish. It seems ok. I'm not hungry. And don't usually feel the need to eat before 1pm. I am new to keto. I've done Atkins in the past. First time was ok, second time I think I had too many calories and probably too much protein which knocked me out of ketosis.
Jodaleeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:13 PM   #33  

Default Low cal, low carb, low fat

For the past four or five days, my calorie intake has been below 300, carbs and fat below 30. Since I usually don't have an appetite anyway, this is very easy for me. Will I lose any weight if I keep this up for at least one week? Many say I do not lose weight because I do not eat enough, but what the 'average' person eats in one sitting takes me two - three days to eat. I just can't eat like that. Also, I once lost a lot of weight without trying because I was walking a lot. Now I have a treadmill, but am reading negative stories about that as well. Isn't walking walking?
BestGmaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:11 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 188/143/135

Height: 5'5

I'm doing the same thing. My calorie goal is 1200 but most days it's closer to 1000 (and with exercise at times a little lower than that). I was showing good results until this past weekend when I cheated. Back at it today hoping to lose the 2 lbs I gained and get back on track.
ketobride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:30 PM   #35  
Claiming Victory!

S/C/G: 283/273/245 1st

I am doing the Zone plan. I am to take in 14 blocks a day but lately I have been capping it at 10 because I am just not hungry. Tonight it was 11 and I thought of keeping it at that but I don't like to eat when I am hungry; however I have eaten only 2 meals today. The others were snacks. I am losing very good. Even with my tom I snuck on the scale (I kept walking by it and it was calling my name lol) and I am at 271 from 283. When I started I was not keeping track and I had a 3 day stall. Then I got my tom where I always retain fluid. Always so I stalled then but today I am losing now I guess since it's almost gone now. I am going to try the 10 block since I seem to do well with it. If I want more food I will add no more than 2. I won't go over the 14 that I am required. They say 14 blocks are 1200 calories so I have no idea what 10 is. Before when I consumed lots of carbs it would be months before I was no longer as hungry as I was. I have been low carbing less than a month and I am like this. GREAT!!!
LuvMyMr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:31 PM   #36  
Claiming Victory!

S/C/G: 283/273/245 1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGmaof2 View Post
For the past four or five days, my calorie intake has been below 300, carbs and fat below 30. Since I usually don't have an appetite anyway, this is very easy for me. Will I lose any weight if I keep this up for at least one week? Many say I do not lose weight because I do not eat enough, but what the 'average' person eats in one sitting takes me two - three days to eat. I just can't eat like that. Also, I once lost a lot of weight without trying because I was walking a lot. Now I have a treadmill, but am reading negative stories about that as well. Isn't walking walking?
What negative stories are you hearing about treadmills? They are great for me when I want to walk and it is either raining or too hot outside.
LuvMyMr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:27 PM   #37  
Jiggle, BE GONE WITH YOU!

S/C/G: 256/185/170

Height: 5'6

I do. I calorie cycle between 1300-1600, depending on how active I am, and I don't eat carbs after lunch. That's pretty much what I do!

I track everything on My Fitness Pal.
dietcokehead98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:27 PM   #38  

I am also counting calories, fat grams, carbs, fiber (to get net carbs), and protein. I am trying to keep to a 1,100 cal. diet, with a maximum of 55 grams of carbs per day. So far, I've lost about 26 lbs and am still going strong. I use supplements, esp. B-12, to keep my energy up.
Heidi256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:12 PM   #39  

I guess I kind am doing it. Work in progress. I'm taking prednisone and it causes problems on several fronts....all greatly contributing to rapid weight gain:
This week I've done the following, with good results....
average of 1050 calories per day
Salt/sodium 1500 grams per day (at times a little less)
Reduced carbs (not got a handle on this yet)
No flour (sort of makes it naturally low carb)
Lean meats
Dairy...somewhat reduced...lonly small portions of low fat yogurt and/or low fat cheese
Lots and lots of vegetables
Low glycemic fruits
Lots of water

Knock on wood, it seems to be working

PS If you don't eat carbs after lunch, do you only eat meat after lunch? It sounds like it could very well be helpful. Thank you.

Last edited by Fun Size; 08-20-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Fun Size is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:02 AM   #40  

Hi, I am tracey and i am new on here but really enjoyed this thread, i have been on keto eating 1200 cals a day, I have lost 20lb so far!!! I have hypothyroidism so struggling with my weight is a constant challenge! I reached 15st1lb and had never been so heavy, at only 5ft2 this was a huge shock! I have had 4 children and I'm waiting for a hysterectomy do to menopausal complications, I'm 42!!!!
Last week a started the 14:10 window (I was told this was better than 16:8, for women) and from today cutting to 800 calories!! I still that terrible old fashioned mindset that too few calories will stop loss! But all the comments on here have given me hope and encouragement, so thanks all, and any advice will be greatfully welcomed, I am still relatively new to keto but loving it so far
Trace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:11 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 259 ??? 180

Height: 6'

Hello, new here. Well, kinda. I was on here before and lost 100 lbs in one year.

I did that by strict calorie counting, no processed foods, lots of exercise, and for the most part healthy eating. When I reached my goal weight, same as my new goal is, I went back to "eating regular" for maintenance. I put the weight back on in slightly over a year!

This is some 8 years later and I have to do it again, this time for my health. As I started out this time I had no idea of how I was going to do it. I cannot exercise as before, my feet, knees and back will not allow that.

I have type 2 diabetes, obese 259 lbs as of three weeks ago, current weight unknown but considerably less, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, some arthritis and susceptible to gout.

I, like a few who posted on here thought that weight loss was simply a matter of taking in less calories than was needed for weight maintenance. I took a fresh look at diets, looking into Atkins. Reading up on it and learning how this thing of eating all the fat you want but severely restricting carbs worked, I have decided to do more or less keto/Atkins type diet. That took a lot of research and learning, but it seems well worth it. I started curtailing my eating a few weeks back as I continued learning what was what with this type of diet. I think I have the hang of it for the most part.

I am lucky in that I don't care that much for sugar nor sweets and already ate little of them in helping control type 2 diabetes. I have been losing desire for meats for some time, so I had to put them back in my diet. After researching I learned which vegetables to eat and which not. I am not that happy about giving up bread for the most part along with pasta. But it is going easy.

I went back to eating eggs and bacon. My breakfast each morning is 3 eggs fried in the bacon grease from my 3 crispy slices with jalapeno chilies.

I was surprised that breakfast alone knocked out hunger for most of the day.

I don't know how much I have lost but my shirts have a lot of room left over now.

My maintenance calorie amount is about 2500. I have been keeping my total intake down to about 1300, some days a little more, some less. Over a thousand calorie daily deficit and no hunger. The no hunger is the part I like best.

The result of this so far has been lowering my glucose way down from what I was. I was seldom under 140 and up to 250. It now dips to under 100 and except for shortly after a meal it has been down between 100-135. Blood pressure went down from 175/80 to 135/65.

This was a long post, but it lets you know a bit about me and has me started on 3FC again.

I will try to post a few times a week.

Harve

Last edited by Harve; 05-31-2019 at 04:17 PM. Reason: adding more info
Harve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:19 AM   #42  

Do you often eat bread? I really love it. Recently came across this recipe.

club.cooking/recipe/keto-zucchini-bread/
Very glad.

Steps
Step 1
Place all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir gently.

Step 2
Add the vanilla, eggs, grated/shredded zucchini. Stir gently.

Step 3
Place into a lined loaf tin or silicon loaf tin, and bake at 180C/350F. Cooking times seems to vary considerably with this recipe. Depending on your oven, it may take anywhere between for 20-40 minutes. Always test the bread. You will know when it is cooked when a knife comes out clean when pushed into the centre
BreadMen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:44 AM   #43  

I try and cut back on carbs. I still eat them because, finances make it difficult to buy the healthier stuff. If I eat carbs at one meal I don't the other two. When counting calories I try to keep it at 1200. keep up the good work.
stluee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:08 PM   #44  

So far the Keto diet is working out for me! Has anyone else had good success with this diet program?
Jossy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:27 PM   #45  

Yes, many people are calorie counting and doing keto or low carb.

The ketogenic diet is a very low carbohydrate, high fat diet that shares many similarities with the Atkins and low carbohydrate diets. It involves drastically reducing carbohydrate intake and replacing it with fat. This reduction in carbs puts your body into a metabolic state called ketosis.
When this happens, your body becomes incredibly efficient at burning fat for energy. It also turns fat into ketones in the liver, which can supply energy for the brain.

Ketogenic diets have been around for centuries. They were originally used to treat epilepsy in children. Today, they're also being used to help people lose weight and fight cancer.
MrHelpful is offline   Reply With Quote