Old 04-07-2011, 08:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/209/199

Height: 5'9"

Default Disappointed

I am getting so frustrated. Scales are up again this morning. Went from 278 down to 270...now back up to 275.5. Have not changed anything in my routine. Still walking 20-30 min per day. Plus 1 hr kickboxing class Monday and Saturday. I just dont know what I am doing wrong. I think maybe I am just supossed to be fat forever. Its very discouraging!
sunlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

Don't be discouraged... you have to stick it out...

you didn't gain 3 pounds of fat... it has to be water weight. Are you drinking the same amount of water everyday? Try to do that and you will see less water related fluctuations.

are you counting carbs and calories? On low carbs quite often we replace the carbs with fat which has 9 calories per gram. Protein has 4 calories per gram. Make sure you are eating some good protein.

Stick with it... you can do this!
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #3  

Height: 5'8

I don't know how long you've been doing your routine, but it could mean you have to up the intensity of your workouts. Try walking for 2 minutes then jogging for 1 and repeat
dnnrca1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 278/243.2/175

Height: 5'2

Ive saw a 3 lb increase the last couple days and its frustrating! Im on plan--I DID up my water intake but its irritating to know you are doing everything you are suppose to do and the scale is going the opposite direction. Im trying to keep my mind straight and remind myself I should have a good whoosh of weight loss soon.

Im right there with you this morning. *sigh*
myhaloisintheshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #5  

I am ready to see a whoosh of weight loss. Finished my daily workout this am by trying a 25 min kickbox routine on Exercise on demand channel. Ate my usual breakfast of 2 eggs and 3 pieces turkey bacon. Already drank 32oz of water this am. Usually drink about 128oz per day. My lunch usually consists of a salad or some leftover chicken wrapped in lettuce. Dinner is usually a grilled chicken breast with some sort of vegetable. Snack is most always sugar free jello. I just dont get it.

Its just disappointing to know that I have been doing everything right and not seeing any results. Myhaloisintheshop have you lost 40lbs since March?? Wow...that is what I was hoping would happen for me. I am trying to keep my mind straight as well, but after a few weeks of watching that scale go nowhere or up I am getting depressed. If I could just see some kind of loss I think it would motivate me.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #6  

I actually started losing in December. REALLY started dieting Feb 1st. I joined 3FC in March.

I don't lose super fast--I would probably do much better if I excercised!
Old 04-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #7  

I gotcha...well. Good for you either way. That is awesome!
Old 04-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #8  

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #9  
...Live.Your.Dream...

S/C/G: 186/180/150

Height: 5'6"

I 100% know how you feel. Throughout the last 8 months I have only lost 23 pounds- BUT.. I have also lost 30.5 inches from my self. Everyone is different and looses weight/inches differently. I know a gal who lost almost 30 pounds, but didnt really get any smaller.

Are you taking measurments? Or only weighing?
WendeeLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:15 AM   #10  

Hi WendeeLou! I got measured by my trainer...on 3/28. So she will do again in 1 mth. Hoping to see SOMETHING there... I can't be the only one in the history of dieting that is unable to lose weight. LOL!
Old 04-07-2011, 11:25 AM   #11  

Sunlover--what diet are you on? Atkins? Calorie counting?

I honestly don't feel like I am losing inches either...lol BUT my clothes say different. Ive only went down one size but when I look in the mirror I see very little difference.

I know I am on the verge of change though. I want to give up. I keep telling myself that I don't have that option. So I need to figure out a way to "step it up" I know exercise is the answer but I haven't found anything I LOVE or even like enough to want to be consistant.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #12  

I am just doing my own thing with carb counting. I try to keep under 30g per day. Work out everyday but Sunday. I have a friend who is a personal trainer and has her own gym in her backyard where she teaches aerobics. I do her 1 hr kickboxing class on Mon and Saturday, and occasionally Tues. eve. I do a 20-30 minute walk with Leslie Sansone or something off of Exercise on demand the other days. I have not had any bread, rice, pasta etc for 1 mth today. I have not been able to quit the sugar in my coffee though in the am. I have 2 cups with about 1 tbs of sugar each...just cant stand any kind of sugar substitute in my coffee. I usually drink only water, with the occasional tea with splenda at dinner. Probably only once a week though. I am very motivated to do this once and for all, as I have been overweight pretty much my entire life. I am now starting to feel effects like joint pain now. I also have a heel spur. I just want to get healthier so that I dont feel like crap all the time.

I have noticed that my clothes feel a tad bit looser...not much though. I just SO want to see it in numbers!
Old 04-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 190/142/130

Height: 5'4"

Okay, I completely hear you on this. I got down to 185 and then went back to 189 and then stayed between those 2 weights for several week even though I was doing 2 hrs of exercise each day and restricting my diet!
What I did wrong was I was working out way to much while eating to few calories (only about 900-1000 daily).
I then decided to lower exercise to 1hr a day and eat 1400 cals a day. The weight was coming off now, but super slow.
I then decided to try the Atkins diet because my sister & a friend had great success with it. So far so good! I am 1 1/2 week into it and I have lost 6 lbs already! From what I can tell, I have only had great success so far from eating 20g or less of carbs a day. I don't have to count calories and I'm not hungry all the time and have more energy.
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlover View Post
I am getting so frustrated. Scales are up again this morning. Went from 278 down to 270...now back up to 275.5. Have not changed anything in my routine. Still walking 20-30 min per day. Plus 1 hr kickboxing class Monday and Saturday. I just dont know what I am doing wrong. I think maybe I am just supossed to be fat forever. Its very discouraging!

You're not necessarily doing anything wrong - except expecting the scale to "reward" you when you expect it to (whether it's every day, week or however often) for doing nothing wrong.

Fluctuations happen, and some bodies fluctuate more than others. I'm convinced that if I ate absolutely nothing I would still gain at least 5 lbs during TOM (as long as I was drinking water to retain).

The myth that weight loss should be steadily progressive and routinely rewarding (at least on a weekly weigh-in schedule) is a dangerous one. I think it's one of the leading cause of diet frustration (which I also believe is the leading cause of diet abandonment. It's not the hard work involved - it's the not seeing the expected results of that work. Unfortunately it's not because the results aren't there - we're just no seeing them when and where and to the degree we're expecting them.

Sad News! Weight loss isn't steadily progressive. Not for most of us. It doesn't have to be frustrating, it really doesn't. Frustration comes in when we don't get what we expect.

Imagine that you've only ever gotten paid by the week, and you get a new job which pays monthly or quarterly - only you weren't aware of it. How many weeks are you going to work before you give up (because with weight loss there's no way to ask the boss "when do I get paid?"

If you expect a weekly or a daily pay-off, you're going to be severely disappointed, and as a result severely frustrated, "maybe I am just supossed to be fat forever" is a way of telling yourself "this isn't working the way I want it to, the way it's "supposed to" so why bother."

The problem is we're telling ourselves a very big and terrible lie. It's not "supposed to" be linear, but we want it to be anyway. We're encouraged to want it. We're encouraged to think it's right and normal and if we don't get it, we must be doing something wrong and must work harder to MAKE it work (and it still doesn't).

Change your expectations. Stick to your plan and change your internal "schedule." If you're weighing daily, that's fine but don't compare today to yesterday. Compare today's weight to last months.

Some people are on monthly "paydays." I've even met people on bi-monthly paydays - boy that must suck. To work hard and not see results for six or seven weeks.

If you still aren't losing weight after more than a month on plan, you'll have to make additional changes, but it doesn't mean you were doing anything "wrong" before. Maybe you're not cutting calories enough. Maybe you're cutting them so far that you're exhausted and aren't moving as much (except during your exercise sessions), or aren't sleeping as well, or a billion other things that can affect your metabolism. But you can't declare failure by comparing today's weight to yesterday's or last week's.

Women need at least a monthly cycle, so you have to be on plan at least three months to really even begin to understand your cycle patterns (some people experience one water weight gain week per month, some women experimence two, and some experience none).

Experimenting is the only strategy you've got, but you have to go in willing to look for patterns, not determine ahead of time what they're supposed to be and try to somehow force yourself into the pattern you want (I know it's the way most of us have been taught to diet, but it's also the way most of us have been taught to quit a diet too. Most diets fail, and it's not a stretch to suspect that false expectations are a major cause).

Last edited by kaplods; 04-07-2011 at 12:35 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:31 PM   #15  

Congrats Lainey...I had lost 6 lbs the 1st week too. How exciting. I am enjoying eating this way really. I have found lots of good recipes online. I do not count calories either. The only thing I know is I am bound to be eating less calories than before, and I know that I am eating less carbs. Before I started all of my meals revolved around carbs.