Other Books For discussion of books other than Dr. Phil

Old 03-08-2004, 03:58 PM   #1  
clasparm

Default Ever Read "The New Glucose Revolution"

Hey Everybody,

I was just wondering if anyone had a review of "The New Glucose Revolution-The Authoritative Guide to the Glycemic Index" or any of the other of the "New Glucose Revolution" books. I tried a couple of the recipes this weekend and really liked them. I have changed my way of eating to reflect the ideas in the book and so far feel great. I was just wondering if if actually helps you to lose weight?
Old 03-08-2004, 07:10 PM   #2  

I do believe there's already a thread started about that book.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:29 PM   #3  
WW Moderator

I started reading the book, but honestly it was just too wordy for me. At the time I was reading it, I wasn't in the mood for all the biological reasons. I'm too impatient sometimes. Somewhere along the way I forgot I even had the book until now! However, what I did read seemed to be well researched. If you want to eat according to the Glycemic Index, it is probably a good, sound book. For more low glycemic recipes, check out the Sugar Busters and South Beach Diet forums.
Old 04-04-2004, 01:07 AM   #4  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Thumbs up Read it, Loved it, Recommend it!

I've read it, cover to cover, and highly recommend it. Jennifer's right, it is a bit wordy, while some of it isn't the most "tip-o-the-seat" reading I've enjoyed to date, I found all of the information to be really important to know. I'm a person who appreciates understanding the reasons behind things, so that I'm able to think for myself rather than just relying on the face value of the information reported to me. I just think you hear so many differing schools of thought on nutrition and weight loss -- all of them stated as irrefutable fact, of course -- and so I find it really important to get a handle on the science behind their claims before buying into it.

That said, I loved the book and love living low-GI. As you'll see from my sig, I've lost 20 pounds in 4 weeks, and I'm absolutely certain that following the principles of low-GI eating played a major part in my success. I've followed a low-fat, low-GI, low-cal (1500) program, and I haven't felt deprived in the slightest.

I'm a really big fan of Dr. Andrew Weil, and in reading his "Eating Well for Optimum Health," I learned that he really believes in the GI-load's impact on weight loss and more, and that was enough for me to check out the book. Then when I saw his endorsement on the cover liner, I knew I'd read it. After reading it, I was sold. The carb's don't weigh me down, they give me sustained energy, I don't have carb cravings, and I can enjoy some great food guilt-free, while losing at the rate of 5 pounds/week! Obviously there are other factors impacting that weight loss (exercise, sadly, not being one of them, but that's another story! ) -- but I know that eating this way will be a lifelong practice for me, and I'm sure that it'll be a positive change, from the standpoint of diabetes prevention as well.

I wholeheartedly recommend this book!! Someone mentioned here that there was another thread on the book, but I haven't seen it. If anyone could help me out with finding it, I'd be very grateful!