Old 05-16-2006, 11:51 AM   #1  
Recovering Shopaholic

S/C/G: See tickers for latest!

Height: 5'3"

Question How to up my protein?

Hi everyone.

I am a calorie counter who has always sort of just done her own thing - lol - not really following any one specific plan. Anyway, I have been looking at my ratios of percentages on Fitday recently. I want to get my diet more balanced between the carbs/fat/protein ... it seems like a lot of what I eat are carbs. Although I am not a low-carber, I would like to get my diet more balanced and up the protein/decrease my carbs.

Any suggestions on what to eat to get a more balanced diet? How do you increase your proteins without seeing a drastic increase in fat and calories?

TIA!

Kelly
HandbagAficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:36 PM   #2  
my baby with bubbles

S/C/G: 180/152/140

I would like to learn this too, I have started working out, and everyday that I work out I CRAVE meat. I think I could eat a whole cow, in fact I think last saturday my husband may have let me. I have never eaten that much steak in my life. The gals here at work say I need to add more protien to my diet. however, I don't want to go over my ww points.
40poundsago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:43 PM   #3  
South Beach Life Style

Check this site out.. click on a food and it will give you the calories and all nutrition value,, Hope this helps you

http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php?...87072737eb99d1
MsCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:44 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Try to add at least one high-protein snack per day. My favorites are beef jerky, hardboiled eggs, or some sliced turkey spread with a garlic and herb laughing cow cheese wedge. All are fairly low in calorie, high in protein, and relatively low in fat.

The beef jerky, especially, feels like a treat. If you're worried about sodium, buy it at a natural foods store, where less sodium is used. If you're not worried about sodium, you can buy this at any convenience store (great if you need a snack and you're on the go!). A single-serve bag of beef jerky from 7-11 has 120 calories, 1.5 g of fat, and a whopping 20 grams of protein.

I find it a lot easier to add protein to snacks than to meals, although I try to add it in wherever I can. Just have a high-protein snack and maybe add some protein to your breakfast (egg beaters, some lean meat, vegetarian sausages, etc) to bump the protein as well.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:35 PM   #5  
Recovering Shopaholic

S/C/G: See tickers for latest!

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for your replies!

Mandalinn, I never thought of beef jerky. I am not sure if I like it! lol! But, I will give it a try. Honestly, I would have thought that it was much higher in fat than that.

Anymore suggestions? Keep them coming!
HandbagAficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:48 PM   #6  
Working My Way Back Down

FF cottage cheese has a good amount of protein, and 1/2 cup is 2 WW pts. I like to add a tsp of vanilla yogurt which gives it a tiny bit more flavor, and then stir in some fruit (and splenda if needed). I second the hard boiled eggs, or eggwhites. You can also try a Luna bar for a snack - it has 10 g of protein and 3 WW pts.

Lots of threads talk about the cottage cheese/eggwhite/oatmeal pancakes. Take 1/3 cup of each (3 eggs give you 1/3 cup of whites) and mix them well - I use a stick blender - and cook into a pancake. If you like thin pancakes, add some water til the "batter" is the consistency you want. Top with fruit, yogurt, whatever you like and works with your plan. It's 5 WW pts, but very filling.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:54 PM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Egg whites have no fat and 3 grams of protein with only 17 calories each. Try making veggie omelets with them, fake noodles by cooking non-stick and then slicing or throwing them into a shake. You can buy them in cartons rather than separate whole eggs.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:03 PM   #8  
Meg

Try this list of protein sources (with portion sizes) :

Protein Sources

Eggs, Cheese, and Dairy

Cheese, light or fat free = 2 oz
Yogurt, low fat and sugar free = 8 oz
Egg whites = 4
Eggbeaters = ½ cup
Cottage cheese, low-fat = ½ cup

Fish

Any fish or shellfish = 4 oz

Meat or Poultry

Skinless chicken or turkey = 3 – 4 oz
Lean beef or pork = 3 – 4 oz
Lean deli meat = 3 - 4 oz

Meat Substitutes

Soy chicken patty = 1
Soy burger = 1
Soy hot dog = 1
Soy cheese = 2 oz
Soy milk = 8 oz
Soy nuts = 1/3 – ½ cup
Tofu = 4 oz
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:00 AM   #9  

Height: 5'8"

I am so glad that I found this thread yesterday! I was not really paying much attention to the ratio's of protein/fat/carbs and when I went into my fitday after reading this, I realized that my carbs are much higher than protein and fat.

Yesterdays ratios were 53% Carb, 26% Protein and 21% Fat. I think that I need to work on cutting down the carbs and maybe it will help me get back to losing again.

Meg, thanks for the list of proteins with portions, that will be very helpful as I work on upping protein and lowering carbs. BTW, I read your story and saw your pictures and what an inspiration you are....thanks for sharing!

Darcy
nail-lady is offline   Reply With Quote