Old 02-28-2006, 11:41 AM   #1  
LLV

Question Berries (need tips from berry experts)

I need to eat more fruit, but I don't like fruit. Except berries. Blueberries, especially. I love blueberry anything. In fact I just had some blueberry sauce (made with Splenda instead of sugar) on a bowl of Breyer's Cal Smart ice cream.

Heaven

But! I'm not really experienced when it comes to using berries for different things. Can you give me some suggestions on how to incorportate more berries into my diet?

I'd much appreciate it. I have no idea how to squeeze these little nutrition-packed gems into my life!
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 11:47 AM   #2  

I love berries in oatmeal. Blueberries too are my favourite, although strawberries and raspberries work well too.

Raw baby spinach with raspberries, blueberries or strawberries with a low fat/non fat balsamic dressing.

Just as they are straight from the box, or even better, frozen, takes ages to eat, and really nice!

Mixed with other fruit, like apples, and baked with a low fat crumble topping made with oats.

In a fruit salad.

Sometimes I mix cut up strawberries with a teaspoon of maple syrup and top with fat free greek style yoghurt, that works with blueberries too (our foreign strawberries often need some help in the flavour department)

Mixed with yoghurt and skimmed milk and whizzed into a smoothie, if you use it you can add some protein powder.

Does that help??

I'm a berry addict, my dh calls me "the bear" as I live on berries, oatmeal and honey!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

kykaree,

great suggestions! I LOVE blueberries!

Linda, you can also bake berries into practically anything. Have you tried blackberries? I bought them on a whim the other day, and they were so good!

I think you can also buy some berries dried...I thought I saw cranberries at Superstore the other day.
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 02:38 PM   #4  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kykaree
Does that help??
Yes, it does, thank you so much.

Or should I say thanks, bear, lol.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:40 PM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_a_dreamy1
kykaree,

great suggestions! I LOVE blueberries!

Linda, you can also bake berries into practically anything. Have you tried blackberries?
Oh yes, I love blackberries. And raspberries, etc. Blueberries are, of course, my favorite. But I love other berries, too.

What a weenie I am. Here I've been trying to get more fruit in my diet and I even buy it at the store, but it sits and rots until I have to throw it away, I just can't eat the stuff. And this whole time I've always loved berries and my silly butt forgot completely about them.

I can't believe the price of frozen blueberries, though. Kroger had them for $7.99 a bag and that was ON SALE.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:53 PM   #6  

Frozen berries can be very cheap at Trader Joe's. I thaw them and use in oatmeal, any hot cereal and mixed with yogurt.

You can also bake with them.

I don't buy fresh one off-season--I am concerned about high levels of pesticides in imported fruit (especially Chilean).
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:41 PM   #7  

Most of our berries are imported, except for a couple of months, and I don't think I have ever seen English blueberries. I presume they exist, but I've only ever seen Spanish, South African and South American. We do get raspberries, blackberries and strawberries, but not for very long.

I adore berries, I am just so grateful they are good for me, I like them almost as much as chocolate, and used to eat them even before I was doing the whole healthy lifestyle thing.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:00 PM   #8  

Like others, I'll stir berries (bluberries being my favorite) into oatmeal, I make parfaits by layering berries with vanilla yogurt, I dip strawberries in dark chocolate melted with a tiny bit of shortening (makes it harden) and enjoy in moderation. I also stir them into my pancake batter and warm them with a little reduced calorie syrup to pour over the pancakes. Oh, and I love sliced strawberries sprinkled with a little equal and served over angel food cake. I serve them plain with fat free Cool Whip. I also like to make fruit salads - berries, chopped apple, pineapple, and mandarin oranges all mixed up with a little bit of equal.

We have a blueberry/blackberry farm that isn't far from us. At the end of every school year I take the kids down to pick baskets full. The are so cheap since you pick them yourself, I know they are at their freshest, and the kids have a blast - they eat as many right of the bushes as they put in their baskets! The farmers are a little old couple and they encourage everyone to sample as they go (they grow without pesticides, obviously).
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:33 PM   #9  
LLV

Wonderful suggestions everyone, thank you!

I had a couple of overripe bananas and made some 'lite' banana muffins last night, so I'll probably have one for breakfast in the morning. A little more fruit there. I really wish I could learn to love fruit, but most of it grosses me out. Or it has to be disguised with something. Like apples - I don't like apples plain but I love them dipped in peanut butter or melted caramel. And all that does is add needless calories. So I need to learn to eat the stuff as is.

I'm going to start tossing berries into my oatmeal or onto my cold cereal in the morning. I have a bag of frozen peaches. I like those sometimes sprinkled with a little sweetener.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:40 PM   #10