Old 12-16-2005, 06:11 PM   #31  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertW
Mental activity is a major reason your BMR is so much higher when you are awake and at rest.

Maybe you need to "think harder".
Robert, I've never heard that before. Got any articles or sources you could point me to?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:19 PM   #32  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire de Ravin
But then someone said to multiply your weight by 10 to see how much your body burns without help? 110 x 10 = 1100. So that means I have to exercise more, not counting walking all over school and exercising in gym.
The problem with 'someone' telling you something is that 'someone' is often wrong. You need to be careful with information you read on the Internet - some of it may be right, but some is dead wrong, and some is completely off the wall.

A general rule of thumb for maintenance calories is your body weight X 15 (not 10), which would be 1650, right about what you're eating now. So your calories are just fine for maintaining your current weight. Of course, the best way to figure out your maintenance calories is to see if you're gaining weight, losing, or staying the same at a certain calorie level. We all have unique bodies and no formula is ever going to beat personal experience. .
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:47 PM   #33  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

Default how?

Quote:
Maybe you need to "think harder". I have heard that puzzling out chess problems takes alot of ATP, and that some grandmasters do a lot of cardio to help their stamina for chess matches.
adenosine triphosphate (atp) is the bodies short term energy system that can maintain exercise for approximately 10 seconds. i.e sprinting. chess is a sedentry activity (sat still) so the body is in no desperate need for high energy levels.

i'd be interested to read up on theory behind what you say do you have anything on it?
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:04 PM   #34  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmingsi
adenosine triphosphate (atp) is the bodies short term energy system that can maintain exercise for approximately 10 seconds. i.e sprinting. chess is a sedentry activity (sat still) so the body is in no desperate need for high energy levels.

i'd be interested to read up on theory behind what you say do you have anything on it?
I personally think that's crazy, but then what do I know?

The problem here is that these people - whoever it is making this claim - can make others believe that they can actually lose weight by thinking harder.

I mean, come on. You have to admit the whole idea sounds completely crazy. I know people that use their brains for a living and are overweight.

My point is that if you're someone that "thinks" hard, fine. But it's not gonna help you drop any pounds, whether this theory is true or not.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:08 PM   #35  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
Robert, I've never heard that before. Got any articles or sources you could point me to?
I see here that just being awake ("arousal") accounts for 5-10% of your BMR.

http://www.nap.edu/books/0309085373/html/112.html

I am sure their must be research measuring the effects of mental exertion on BMR, but my glucose deprived brain isn't coming up with the right keywords for my medline search.

We certainly spend alot of our energy on mental/neural activity, but I doubt it varies much day to day and so is just buried in our BMR.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:29 PM   #36  

Wow, I started a debate. But seriously, perhaps that's why I tend to lose when under a lot of stress from my homework and then gaining it back on by stress eating...arg.

Oh, and Meg, that weight x 10 things was said in this thread, I swear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues4miles
As a rule of thumb, you can kind of multiiply your weight by 10 to get an idea of how many calories your body burns naturally with low to no activity. Usually they suggest you eat 200 calories or so less than that, and try to work out an average of 200 calories or so over that. Of course, your metabolism can be a factor and if you plan to be very active you shouldn't go too low. Definitely don't go lower than 1200.
Oh, I forgot about planning to be active. Never mind, sorry. I will probably aim for 1400-1500 then (I plan to lose a few more pounds).

LLV - 100 is my around goal, I am not planning to exactly be 100 (heck, that'd be anorexic for my 5'4 height), but that's a goal until I see if I am satisfied at 105, or 107, or 103, etc. If I am satisfied, I will obviously not try for 100. Thanks for being concerned though

I'll change my goal to 105 though...more logical and attainable.
Claire de Ravin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:38 PM   #37  

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmingsi

All life ultimately uses ATP for energy, although energy is stored in various forms. The brain uses glucose and ketone bodies to generate ATP

Pumping potassium and sodium ions across a membrane, as activated neurons do, requires a vast amount of energy. The more neurons you are firing, the more energy the brain draws, and as everyone knows, your brain has a huge demand for blood to provide oxygen to fuel its expenditures. Of course the same can be said for your kidneys, given all the pumping and filtering they are constantly doing. There must be a review out there breaking down the contributions of various organs to the BMR.

I don't play chess at the grandmaster level, but one of my college professors who did claimed it was extremely taxing on his physical reserves. If I run into my friend Oliver (molecular biologist and son of a famous chess coach) I will ask him what he knows about the energy requirements. He would know what sort of research has been done. I definitely remember seeing studies on glucose utilization by different parts of the brain when various mental tasks were being performed by I can't remember the details.

LLV,
Didn't you used to snack when you studied? Studying always made me hungry, and dieting really creates a mental fog. I don't think my brain runs as well on ketone bodies.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 08:23 PM   #38  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

thanks for the link that will come in much use when it comes to assessment times 3000 free pdf books is great its funny you should say you dont' study well when dieting, i generally study best after having been to the gym then had an hour in bed with no food till i get up
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 08:29 PM   #39  
LLV

Quote:
All life ultimately uses ATP for energy, although energy is stored in various forms. The brain uses glucose and ketone bodies to generate ATP
Well, yes, of course. That's probably a given. But my point is that "thinking" isn't going to help me lose anymore weight.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:32 PM   #40  
LLV

Quote:
LLV - 100 is my around goal, I am not planning to exactly be 100 (heck, that'd be anorexic for my 5'4 height), but that's a goal until I see if I am satisfied at 105, or 107, or 103, etc. If I am satisfied, I will obviously not try for 100. Thanks for being concerned though
5'4?

I expected you to tell me you were only like 5' or maybe 5'2, lol.

I'm only an inch taller than you and when I was 120, I had people telling me I was so thin that I looked ill.

However, we all have different body types and a weight that works for some may not work for others
Old 12-16-2005, 08:40 PM   #41  

Yeah, I have a pudgy stomach. Gotta do those ab workouts.

OH NO...it's my brother's birthday tomorrow, and he brought cupcakes and cookies for his friends at school and we have leftovers...I am craving them now...dang it. I did manage to skip the cupcake because it was nearly 300 calories (I was in control!) But I did eat four cookies
Old 12-16-2005, 08:43 PM   #42  
LLV

Quote:
Yeah, I have a pudgy stomach. Gotta do those ab workouts.

OH NO...it's my brother's birthday tomorrow, and he brought cupcakes and cookies for his friends at school and we have leftovers...I am craving them now...dang it. I did manage to skip the cupcake because it was nearly 300 calories (I was in control!) But I did eat four cookies
Don't sweat it, hon, I do that too. I ate a chocolate chip cookie and 2 Hershey Kisses tonight, lol.

You have to allow yourself some treats every now and then. As long as they're eaten in moderation
Old 12-16-2005, 08:48 PM   #43  

I'll eat the serving size then...then I'll read Serendipity's Harry/Ginny fanfic and then sleep . See you!
Old 12-16-2005, 08:53 PM   #44  
LLV

Quote:
I'll eat the serving size then...then I'll read Serendipity's Harry/Ginny fanfic and then sleep . See you!
That sounds good, cozying up with a good book. Unless you're talking about online reading, lol.

Night
Old 12-17-2005, 07:00 PM   #45  

LOL! what a debate!
Does thinking burn more calories.... !!!

I used to play a lot of chess (not at grandmasters level!) and yes it was hard work! i think for me it was trying to think ahead and memorise the what if's before i made every move! I used to feel physically exhausted!
so maybe there is something in that, maybe it is just those finer nutrients and chemicals that are used to keep the brain more stimulated and the body needing those replenished makes up for the hunger, not necessarily it needing more calories??? like if you a anemic ,you don't go craving particularily iron high product, you just crave more food in general!
If anyone finds out, please pass it on! that is interesting.

Clare De Ravin, if you just maintained for a while, you will grow into those extra 5 pounds anyhow! don't start stressing over weight at 14! just make some better choices, and be a little more active! start up some healthy habits now, and you will never have a problem! Most people here and on a "diet" have struggled from a very young age, and sometimes i wonder if it is because it was such a concern in our teenage years, that we end up gaining a lot of weight, then losing then gaining..... Make some healthy changes for yourself and don't let yourself start the starvation then binge cycle, save yourself the pain!
icedragon6669 is offline   Reply With Quote