Old 10-12-2005, 04:13 PM   #16  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Default OMG - don't get me started

Dreyers slow churned cookie dough....I buy small cones to put it in...no bowl to wash and you can't fit much ice cream into one of those cones. Something about the process of eating with a cone is more satisying to me...pretty much all of the vanilla based flavors are good (there's one they had earlier that had girl scout cookies in it....mmmmmmmmmm ), I find the chocolate flavors are harder and not as creamy...did I mention I'm a connoisseur?
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 04:15 PM   #17  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

I forgot sugar free creamsicles...35 calories...not bad for a quickie
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:22 AM   #18  
stbakd

try frozen yoghurt or sugar free ice cream glen
hefty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 04:56 PM   #19  
Living the Laguna life...

out in california we have "skinny cows" -- they are ice cream sandwiches that are about 100 calories each. i am also a HUGE fan of breyer's light ice cream bars -- they taste just like normal haggen daz bars but are about 170 cals and 9 grams of fat. YUM!
miss michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 05:01 PM   #20  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Amen on the skinny cows. Wasn't real impressed by the fudge bars (not my thing) but love the sandwiches.
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 05:51 PM   #21  
Determined

The slow churned rocky road is amazing! It's the best rocky road I've ever tasted and if I remember right it's 120 for half a cup. Yum!
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:26 PM   #22  
Eat well, Live well

Ice cream's on my "gotta have it" list, so here are some ways I have dealt with it:

1. Some frozen yogurt is as tasty as ice cream. I often buy Chapmans.

2. "Skinny Cow" ice cream bars and fudgsicles (available at WalMart and Real Canadian Superstore)

3. Once in a while: Small ice cream cone at a local shoppe. This beats buying the whole tub and eating the whole thing in a week.

4. Low-fat and low-sugar ice creams, sherberts, and ice cream bars. Just watch the labels for calories....sometimes "low-fat" is loaded with sugar, so be careful.
Allie Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 05:32 PM   #23  
Pending Email Confirmation

I like the skinnycow brand products, their icecream bars are great.

I almost think that going out and getting yourself a child size or small portion of the real thing rarely would be a much better treat then mediocre ice cream fixes every week. I'd suggest finding a place to get a gelatto as it's very satisfying, a very small amount goes a looong way. And I think it's even yummier than icecream.
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 05:45 PM   #24  

I like to have a cup of yougert with a cup of frozen rasberries w/splenda. It's sweet and cold like ice cream!
Valerie Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 04:03 PM   #25  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

For breakfast, or a dessert with a light meal, I love adding a 1/2 cup of the lowest calorie vanilla icecream I can find to a bowl of instant oatmeal (In the healthfood section of my grocey store I found a box of instant oatmeal without added sugar, I sweeten with a little splenda/cinamon, half a banana, or a little sugar free fruit spread). I used to make it with the little packets, and even with those the calories are much lower than a piece of pie or cobbler, which it reminds me of. Really decadent.

Mmmmm,

Colleen
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:14 AM   #26  
Egy Kis Lany

There is also a brand called "Skinny Cow" that makes ice cream bars. They are circular and come in regular, chocoalte, and mint ice cream. Not bad.

And I've talked with people who swear by some frozen whipped cream between graham crackers. I can't help but think that's a stretch, though...

It's good for me that sweet isn't a trigger for me.
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:16 AM   #27  
Egy Kis Lany

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysDom
There is also a brand called "Skinny Cow" that makes ice cream bars. They are circular and come in regular, chocoalte, and mint ice cream. Not bad.

Silly me... I only read the first page of replies...
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:54 PM   #28  

Thank you for all the helpful things! I tried to find low-cal ice cream at my local A&P, and my mom showed me fat-free...it was loaded with cals. Thanks once again to everyone!
Claire de Ravin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 11:29 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 212/155/140

Height: 5'7"

If the "real thing" is the only kind you like, have it. I measure it (1/2 cup), and I eat it slowly with a small spoon. I stay away from Haagen Dazs, just too obscenely high in fat, and I found if you get used to a "normal" brand the fat in the fancy brands is actually kind of gross after a while. I hate the greasy feeling on my lips. The other night I defrosted about 1.5 cups strawberries, added splenda & the ice cream and it was fabulous. 200 calories, and lots of nutrition for such a treat.

Sometimes substitutes just don't work, so ... measure measure measure!

cheerio,
Sue
suechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 08:11 PM   #30  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I often shop at Aldi's, the discount grocery chain. And they have an italian gellato (an italian icecream that has a lighter texture than regular ice cream - they have vanilla, lemon, and raspberry).

I tried the lemon gelatto, and it was SOOO good. Only 101 calories for 1/2 cup. I was sort of like sorbet or sherbert, but with a silky texture. I would never have guessed it was fewer calories than ice cream.

Colleen
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote