Old 08-07-2014, 11:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 223/197/120

Height: 5'5

Default Supplements: What are you taking?

Hi everyone!

I'm rethinking supplements. A couple of years ago I took Omega-3 supplements and found they didn't do much so I stopped (they are expensive..!).
My diet is mostly vegetarian and I'm thinking of starting the Omega-3s again as well as adding magnesium.

I also heard B6 was a good one to take for PMS. Or a Vitamin B complex supplement.

Do you take any of these? Or other ones? Let me know how supplements are working for you (or not working).

Thanks!
muguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:16 AM   #2  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

I would recommend getting bloodwork done to see if you actually have any deficiencies before blindly taking supplements, if you are able. Then you can pinpoint exactly what you may need. You may also be able to change your diet to fix any issues that may pop up.

On that note, I just started taking my multivitamin again (recommended by my gyno). I used to take a calcium supplement as well (also recommended by my gyno), but my calcium levels are fine without it so I don't take it anymore.

Last edited by nonameslob; 08-07-2014 at 11:17 AM.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 223/197/120

Height: 5'5

I hadn't thought of getting new bloodwork done, thanks for suggesting that! I've been reading about hormone balancing lately and thought it would be a good idea to start taking supplements again. The doctors at my clinic tend to not care much about supplements unless you're really deficient. I do feel that I'm imbalanced though and I feel it might help with weight loss.
muguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:36 AM   #4  
Stiff Yoga Pretzel

S/C/G: 218/ticker/145

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
I would recommend getting bloodwork done to see if you actually have any deficiencies before blindly taking supplements, if you are able. Then you can pinpoint exactly what you may need. You may also be able to change your diet to fix any issues that may pop up.
I agree with nonameslob. I thought taking iron would be good for me because I had a lot of qualities that anemics had. Turns out after blood work that I didn't need any and was told I would damage my kidneys if I took supplements. It's always best to check beforehand or you could be negatively affecting your heath.

As far as taking supplements, I take organic herbal supplements. It's more for the benefit of the herb than to replace something I'm missing in my diet.
MrUki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:50 AM   #5  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

I just take a daily multivitamin and garlic supplements (immune system support). I eat a decent amount of veggies, whole grains and lean protein, so I'm not all that worried about supplementing my diet. I am considering starting omega 3/6 supplements.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:52 PM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I eat a ton of fish. It is way better than Omega 3 supplements.

Eat a can of sardines every day for a month and come back to me. You will be feeling and looking fantastic.

But in terms of supplements I do take, I take a multivitamin and glucosamine chondroitin to help my joints deal with daily running.

I also eat a few spices every day with my breakfast: a teaspoon of cayenne pepper, a teaspoon of cinnamon and a teaspoon of tumeric.

Last edited by IanG; 01-17-2015 at 07:53 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 275/263/160

Height: 5'4"

I take a ton of supplements. I have a weird genetic mutation (MTHFR) so I have to take methylated forms of B12 and folate in order to properly absorb them, otherwise they just free float in my system, tricking my doctor that my levels are fine.

I also take Vitamin D3 (was on rx, now OTC), alternate between NAC (n-acetyl cysteine) and ALA (alpha lipoic acid) to boost glutathione levels for my mutation, and CoQ10 and carnitine for fibro fatigue. I try to eat Brazil nuts frequently to boost selenium. Just recently added fish oils to the mix, although I prefer to eat fish at least twice a week.

I worked in nutrition and then in pharmacy for a total of 13 years, so I feel comfortable finding my own supplements and discussing with Dr, but ymmv. Always consult with Dr or pharmacist.
MsAnthropist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:21 AM   #8  

Multivitamin: for a little of everything, Calcium Magnesium: for the bones, B12: for the supposed energies, C: mostly for healthier skin and hair, D: for the lack of sun that comes with this awful winter season, Fish Oil: for the omegas, Glucosamine: for the joints, Green Tea: for the antioxidants (Not a supplement per se. I grind up organic green tea bags and add 2tsp to my morning smoothies)

I do notice a difference with all of these, but I also don't take them every day. Mostly it's an 'I'm feeling kinda low' type thing. The only ones that are a must for me are the Women's Multivitamin, Calcium Magnesium, and the green tea powder. If I'm not planning on being active, I'll probably skip the glucosamine. If I'm eating a lot of fish in one week, I'll skip the fish oils. If it's sunny out, I'll skip the vitamin D and just go outside. Most vitamins are found in the foods we eat when on a properly balanced diet so it helps to really know when, how, why to use them, and what foods they're naturally found in so you can adjust accordingly.
BlackBoxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:06 PM   #9  

I am currently also using just fish oil.Also sometimes I use whey protein.
NerdWellness is offline   Reply With Quote