Old 07-24-2014, 04:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/150/120

Height: 4'-11 3/4"

Default protein intakes

I am curious about how much protein I should take, and whether there is a difference between protein from animal products(non grass fed vs grass fed) vs plant products vs powder.

What are you guys taking to rebuild your muscle?
hardworkwillpayoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:39 PM   #2  
patpatpatpatpat

S/C/G: S: 89kg -- C: 78,8kg -- G 49kg

Height: 145 cm

a wild variety... meat, fish, eggs, milk products, tofu, legumes like peanuts, veggies.... but only whole natural products, no powders or such. I think the natural stuffs provide more than just the plain protein and I dont want to miss out on the "extras"
PatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:39 PM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Just fish and the occassional egg. Beans as well I suppose. Fish is lean and low in saturated fats. And a complete protein, unlike most plant-based. And it has omega 3s if you eat a lot of oily fish like I do. I only use powders if I am in a pinch. I prefer real food.

I eat about 0.8g-1g of protein a day for my bodyweight. I work out a lot.

Last edited by IanG; 07-24-2014 at 05:40 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 150/150/120

Height: 4'-11 3/4"

Thanks!

I asked because I've spoken to body builders, and they told me that they eat 300+grams of protein a day. I think that is way too much for me.

Should I be eating protein that is less than my body weight in order to lose weight? Or is eating protein that is equivalent to the body weight important to maintain the muscle I have now?

I prefer to have the lean look over the bulk look.
hardworkwillpayoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:04 AM   #5  
patpatpatpatpat

S/C/G: S: 89kg -- C: 78,8kg -- G 49kg

Height: 145 cm

it depends what else you eat really. it is all calories. I only count calories and try to eat less of carb heavy foods but more protein and fat. but as I said I dont count. I think it will be okay
if you dont want to have the bulk look do not listen to bodybuilder advice.

I think around 90-100g is good for your current weight, given you eat low carb.

And, of course, you need to work out
PatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

My macronutrient goals are to get 30% of my calories from protein, 50% from fat, and 20% from carbs. This works out to just over 100 grams each of fat and carbs, and 150 grams of protein for me.

The amount of protein you need is supposedly based on your lean mass, so it helps to have an idea of your body fat percentage. I have about 140 lb of lean mass, so 140 grams of fat would be a good/high target (1 gram per pound of lean mass is what most bodybuilders aim for I think). 300 grams sounds like way too much.

I'm on high protein because I'm trying not to lose too much lean mass while I lose weight, which is especially difficult for women (my understanding is that testosterone helps you hold onto lean mass, which may explain why women have more difficulty losing weight as well). I'm not working out, but I'm relatively active.

I should note that while my goals are set per above, I have yet to actually hit my protein target in a day. I've gotten close but 150 grams is a LOT of chicken and fish to put in a day of food for me. It's easier to look at it as a percentage for me, and try and make sure I'm as close to 30% as possible... if I drop below 20% I make an effort to have more at dinner.

I don't worry about where my protein is coming from (plant vs. animal). Instead I eat the things I want to eat that fall under the whole/real foods umbrella. Usually I prefer meat over beans and tofu, so I eat meat. I eat red meat just as much as chicken. ...yeah, I eat what I want. I'm tired of the medical profession changing its mind about everything. Now apparently red meat is good for you again, but even if it wasn't I'd just eat it. It's a whole food. It fits in my plan.

Do I sound bitter?
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:53 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardworkwillpayoff View Post
I am curious about how much protein I should take, and whether there is a difference between protein from animal products(non grass fed vs grass fed) vs plant products vs powder.

What are you guys taking to rebuild your muscle?
Protein is protein, weather it is from a cow or a legume, so you just have to take different amounts. For about 150 pounds you should eat about 175 grams a day, if you are just being healthy, if you want to workout then yes, 300 grams a day is right. Grass fed will always be better then non grass fed. I believe that the real thing, i.e. plants vs.powder will always be better for you. Hope this helps. Good luck!
KickinIt23 is offline   Reply With Quote