Old 01-30-2014, 03:55 PM   #1  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

Default Annoyed with labeling.

I have recently suspected that I have an issue with gluten because of some signs of nutritional deficiencies. I kind of went on a hunch of a relative, who had been misdiagnosed of a disorder with similar symptoms, but did not get better over time.

I have begun a gluten-free diet and have been feeling much better. I feel like I have a handle of the food part. However, I got very upset when shopping for gluten-free hair care and otc medicine. I 'thought' I had done my research pretty well, but delving deeper into the ingredients, I realized basically I can't buy any body care item from Wal-mart. There are mixed theories on the fact that gluten isn't harmful to those intolerant other than if it's ingested.

So I guess my question is, does anyone know of any gluten-free shampoos and possibly decongestant medicine?
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Asking Dr. Google revealed the following:

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/prod...Impprod4480119 <-- shampoo

http://www.weareglutenfree.com/glute...d-conditioner/ <-- list with shampoo brands

http://www.glutenfreedrugs.com/Glutenlist.pdf <-- list of medications
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:03 PM   #3  
Goal is health

Thank you. I've been googling a lot, and there is much conflicting information. That shampoo is very expensive. Wow.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Take care.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #4  
diamondgeog

You might want to try grain free. Google going grain free. I started out just wanting to cut out bread and pasta because they were keeping my hungry and the high glycemic index of whole wheat was for me making me very overweight.

So it was a weight thing and health thing to start (didn't want to become diabetic). But I felt awesome. I started to research more about grains. There is not one single thing that make grains essential. EVERYTHING can be gotten elsewhere in better quantities.

But here is the real kicker, grains have 'anti-nutrients'. Essentially they bind unto nutrients and do not let your body use them. Long story short we've been eating them at most 10,000 years and there is compelling evidence to me humans have not adapted to eat them. They don't kill you straight away obviously, but they are not good for you at all.

So after reading all this I finally gave up corn which I liked in Mexican restaurants. And WOW!

Since going grain free I have no allergies or back pain anymore. Makes total sense because people say they inflame the body. Hence the allergies and the back pain. Best thing I EVER did. And it gets so rapidly not hard. Especially now that I am not at all afraid of good quality fats like grass fed butter and virgin coconut oil.

Tons of great things to eat now, just not grains and I could not be happier. So since you are wheat free you might consider researching grain free. It might provide a lot more additional benefits.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:45 PM   #5  
Goal is health

I haven't been eating any grains, and have been accidentally glutened and have been feeling bad the past two days. Even the slightest bit of gluten sets me off! I can deal with not eating grains, what I cannot deal with is purposely avoiding gluten, and getting cross contamination glutened, or trace amounts of gluten to be deemed gluten-free glutened! So annoyed right now!
Old 02-20-2014, 07:43 PM   #6  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Height: 5'9" Age: 50

Gluten intolerant over here too. I avoid gluten containing personal care products as well.

Basically you need to hit up well stocked health food stores or regular grocery stores with a gluten free and/or organic/natural food and health care aisle. You will not find a lot of stuff in Walmart.

Buying online can work out well. You can take your time and read the labels, research unfamiliar ingredients, and buy in bulk when things go on sale and the best part is nothing spoils. I buy a lot of my health/hygiene and supplements from Swanson, which carry a wide range of brands. If you spend $50 shipping is free and they don't charge sales tax. Their site has features that allow you to actually search by health concerns http://www.swansonvitamins.com/

Last edited by ReNew Me; 02-20-2014 at 07:43 PM.
ReNew Me is offline   Reply With Quote