Old 01-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #1  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

Default Low Sodium Lunch Meat-Does it Exist???

Is there such a thing as low or lower sodium lunchmeats or deli meats? I love the stuff, but don't want all the sodium. I miss having some in the fridge. Does anyone know if Whole Foods or Trader Joes might have something that will work for me?
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 275/142/150

Height: 5'11"

Applegate Farms and Koch's have really good low sodium lunchmeat and I have seen both at trader Joes and whole foods. Applegate Farms oven roasted turkey is sooo good with trader joes chipotle hummus.
jessisaokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #3  
Empress/Queen

I'm a vegetarian now but had a period of meat eating of some years and I liked the low sodium lunch meats at Sprouts, which is in some southwestern states.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 225/197/123

Height: 5'1"

I actually bought some Boar's Head 58% lower sodium turkey yesterday and also reduced sodium provolone cheese... Not sure if that helps! good luck
WannaBe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

A much cheaper solution to lower sodium lunch meat is just drinking extra water on days you eat the meat. Sodium won't actually make you gain weight, and won't actually hurt you at all if you drink a little extra water.

With the economy so tight, that's just my thoughts.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #6  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Ask at the deli counter. When I was looking for deli meat without added sugar, it was also the choice with low sodium. The employee figured out which one it was, but it wasn't promoted on the front of the deli case. I'd recommend just buying a slice or two and tasting it before buying a whole lot. I didn't care for it. I'd rather cook extra meat on the weekend (chicken, lean roast), slice it and use in place of deli meat. In a pinch, it'll work though.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:30 AM   #7  
Becoming Less Fluffy

S/C/G: Then: 286 / Now: Ticker

Height: 5'4"

Cheryl:
I like having lunch meat in the fridge too, but find the regular stuff too high in sodium. The lowest I've found is Healthy Ones Oven-Roasted Chicken or Turkey slices. One serving of the chicken has 410mg sodium (17% of the RDA) and the turkey has 440mg (18%). I read every lunch meat package at the grocery store, and this is the only brand I found lower than 600-700mg per serving. Hope this helps.
One Fluffy Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:44 AM   #8  

Default Low Sodium Deli Meat

I recently found turkey in the Albertson's Deli with less than 300 mg of sodium. That's the lowest I've seen. Boar's Head is just a bit more with over 350.
nanajodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #9  

I use Applegate as well and they are great on sodium, and delicious as well! I'd highly recommend that one!!!
Jentry07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

This website is great! It lists low salt products:
http://www.lowsaltfoods.com/food_cen...foods/meat.htm
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #11  

Default Depends Where You Live!

I live in Massachusetts and have been asking this same question for years. I find that all deli meats, even the low sodium ones, are too high in sodium content for my liking. A friend out in Boston recommended to me that I try Old Neighborhood Foods. They are based out of Boston and have a Sister company, Thin 'N Trim. I've compared all the numbers against other brands and they are by far the healthiest deli meat out there. Only problem is that there products are tough to find outside of the Northeast. I know they are trying to branch out, but it could take awhile as they grow. You best bet would be to write to them and express the demand for their product in your area!

Hope this helps!
MFed3 is offline   Reply With Quote