3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Nutrition and Labeling (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/nutrition-labeling-175/)
-   -   Brown or white sugar (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/nutrition-labeling/280712-brown-white-sugar.html)

Joanne M 04-30-2013 05:55 PM

Brown or white sugar

Which do you think is better to have white or brown sugar?:)

Novus 04-30-2013 06:33 PM

Brown sugar is just white sugar with molasses added. They are both overly processed foods and not particularly "healthy."

PatLib 04-30-2013 10:09 PM

I found this:

"The Nutritional Values of White and Brown Sugar

Although many people are of the opinion that brown sugar is a healthier option than white sugar, the truth is that they only have marginally different nutritional values. White sugar is actually 99.9% pure sucrose, while brown sugar is 97% sucrose, 2% water and 1% other substances. A teaspoon of white sugar contains 16 kilocalories, whereas one teaspoon of brown sugar has 17 kilocalories. The molasses in brown sugar contains a number of minerals, which include calcium, potassium, magnesium and iron, but since only very small amounts of these minerals are present in brown sugar, they do not bring any health benefit to the body. It is known that sugar has very little nutrients, and both white sugar and brown sugar do not do much to promote health."

Depending on what you are cooking/eating/drinking you could try using honey. Which also has some downsides but it is marginally healthier but barely.

I like it better only because I feel like a little goes a long way compared to how much sugar I use.

Joanne M 04-30-2013 10:28 PM

Thank you

Novus 05-01-2013 06:04 AM

Try natural sugars like coconut palm sugar and date sugar.

Amarantha2 05-01-2013 09:08 AM

As far as the effects of sugar (including honey or any other type that is considered natural), to me they are all the same. Some is okay for me, some isn't. I do okay these days with a little of any kind of sugar but none of it is particularly good for me.

But that is just me, we are all different. :wave:

Ahri 05-11-2013 02:29 PM

Brown sugar tastes better but I try to go for stevia more often to cut calories. Adding too much stevia can make anything taste pretty gross, though.

Remington90 05-11-2013 02:32 PM

I've learned in certain recipes (obviously not all) that I can substitute sugar with natural things instead of sweeteners. I do understand some sweeteners are natural, but I'm just sayin. I've used honey in lieu of sugar in plenty of recipes and it's worked just fine.

I'd still rather not even eat sugar. But as far as taste goes, brown sugar wins in my books.

IanG 05-11-2013 02:35 PM

Ditch sugar.

I was amazed at how quickly my taste adapted.

Velvet bean 01-19-2014 04:26 PM

Although they have almost the same amount of calories, I always found brown sugar sweeter, so you can use less of it. Is that just me? :)

JerseyPAGirl 06-02-2014 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Novus (Post 4725795)
Try natural sugars like coconut palm sugar and date sugar.

Novus, I just tried coconut palm sugar and that stuff totally ROCKS! Plus it is low in glycemic, which is pretty amazing :)

Yeah, processed sugar is not good for us.

LettuceDoThis 02-16-2015 12:54 PM

I like brown sugar better because I think it's a richer and more complex taste. Especially in oatmeal.

Sugar = sugar = honey = brown sugar = = agave = white sugar. I firmly believe that sugar is sugar is sugar, however we dress it up or slap labels on it.

KickinIt23 03-13-2015 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joanne M (Post 4725202)

Both are pretty bad, but brown sugar is less processed. Instead try using coconut palm sugar or honey. Hope this helps. :)

Forseir 07-07-2015 01:28 PM

I usually just go for brown sugar, but I guess the benefits are really just marginal.

NerdWellness 07-29-2015 05:04 PM

Don't use sugar.Instead use honey or coconut sugar,that is a healthier alternative.

EmilyLarnder 11-01-2016 12:51 PM

Anything with sugar is good.

Brown sugar, white sugar, confectioner's sugar; I dont discriminate! :lol::m:

Camila415 07-30-2018 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joanne M (Post 4725202)

definitely brown or reed sugar ;)

Linda Kaufman 04-10-2019 06:38 AM

It makes absolutely no difference... Sugar, he and in Africa sugar. Even the one in the fruit. It is that more useful than the others.

Jennysan 09-01-2019 11:15 PM

the less sugar the better :) just try honey instead