Old 06-30-2016, 07:01 AM   #61  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharmsluv View Post
I recently purchased a pack of artificial sweeteners called Lo-Kal which has Asparatame. I read on the internet (after buying the sweetener) that Asparatame is not good for your health.

I got the artificial sweetener to add to the lime juice that I drink almost everyday (once a day). I am trying to lose weight and I add the artificial sweetener to the juice hoping it'll have a positive effect on my body. Please let me know if its safe to consume and if it would help me lose weight or not. Thank you

Oh and I stopped drinking Diet Coke because I read this article that it increases the fat levels in your tummy area. Is it true?
I stopped using all "fake sugar" several years ago and it was the smartest thing I have ever done. Yes, they are very bad for you.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:03 AM   #62  

S/C/G: SW: 323 CW: See Ticker GW: 180

Height: 5'8

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharmsluv View Post
I recently purchased a pack of artificial sweeteners called Lo-Kal which has Asparatame. I read on the internet (after buying the sweetener) that Asparatame is not good for your health.

I got the artificial sweetener to add to the lime juice that I drink almost everyday (once a day). I am trying to lose weight and I add the artificial sweetener to the juice hoping it'll have a positive effect on my body. Please let me know if its safe to consume and if it would help me lose weight or not. Thank you

Oh and I stopped drinking Diet Coke because I read this article that it increases the fat levels in your tummy area. Is it true?
I used to drink 2-3L of diet coke a day... When I stopped drinking it a month ago I lost 11 pounds in 4 days JUST by not drinking diet coke (I didn't change anything else!)

I know, in general, artificial sweeteners are not that good for you. Have you tried a more natural sweetener like Stevia or Agave? (Unfortunately, I cannot have those because I'm diabetic, but I have switched from using Aspartame to using Splenda, in very limited quantitates.)
JesikaBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:29 PM   #63  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I went through a two year phase of having serious issues with health anxiety. I was convinced I had every possible disease and discovered along the way all sorts of facts about things that could kill you (did you know mushrooms are a bit carcinogenic if you eat them raw?). Believe me, I searched all over the place for any confirmation that artificial sweeteners were bad. Here's what I found.

-Sucralose may cause problems with insulin sensitivity
-People who use artificial sweeteners tend to be fatter (In my opinion, correlation, not causation)
-Stevia, in massive doses, increased death rate in rats from all causes (possibly because it mimics estrogen)
-Stevia may INCREASE insulin sensitivity in massive doses
-Don't heat up any sweetener but sucralose- there's a good chance they could become carcinogenic when heated

But overall, I found very little indicating that most people have any problems with artificial sweeteners. There's more problems with other soda ingredients like carbonation or caramel color. If you can show me a study that says otherwise, I will listen, but I haven't.
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:30 AM   #64  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabernetKitty View Post
Not trying to be argumentative, just curious: Can you post the names of the studies you found that show it causes these symptoms? How do you know it was the sweetener that was causing them? How much of it were you using?
Thanks... not interested in a debate. We all make our own choices and I was just sharing my own personal experience. And the research is there and plentiful for anyone who wants to find it.

After more research, I have since given up most processed foods, chemicals, GMOs, fake sugar, etc. -- including not only what I eat but what I put ON my skin and hair.

But I just had a complete comprehensive blood work analysis and the results were... in their words... "absolutely fabulous; we are so proud of you."

If others want to consume that stuff, fine. I am aware that many people think it is okay. Not I... never again.

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 07-02-2016 at 06:31 AM.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:50 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 181/132.8/130

Height: 5'3.5"

MistiI am so with you on ^^^. I am also a fan of Michael Pollen, although I didn't know about him until after I cut out all the proceeded "junk." I am a former food scientist, now high school chemistry teacher. I never did eat too much processed foods, but I sure did down the Diet Coke and low-fat dairy. Once I elminated the aspartame from my diet, I had a great turnaround with my weight, cravings (always hungry), blood sugar, etc. I know Stevia has its faults as well, but I don't consume that much of it. It does not have negative effects on me, although I know some are sensitive to it. I am trying to grow it in my garden this year, but must replant as the weeds took over that row when I was out of town for a couple of weeks. The no/low ultra processed food lifestyle keeps me satiated better, therefore I can control my portions better.

I use local maple syrup in my sweet vinaigrettes and hubs' granola as well as honey in some things. I do use organic sugar in my pies and jam (I have many fruit trees), but I always reduce the typical amount. We prefer the taste anyway....we rarely had desserts or cookies growing up as my father was very anti-sugar, anti- processed food country "hippie" of the 60s and 70s.

Last edited by PrairieQueen; 07-02-2016 at 10:50 AM.
PrairieQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:55 AM   #66  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieQueen View Post
MistiI am so with you on ^^^. I am also a fan of Michael Pollen, although I didn't know about him until after I cut out all the proceeded "junk." I am a former food scientist, now high school chemistry teacher. I never did eat too much processed foods, but I sure did down the Diet Coke and low-fat dairy. Once I elminated the aspartame from my diet, I had a great turnaround with my weight, cravings (always hungry), blood sugar, etc. I know Stevia has its faults as well, but I don't consume that much of it. It does not have negative effects on me, although I know some are sensitive to it. I am trying to grow it in my garden this year, but must replant as the weeds took over that row when I was out of town for a couple of weeks. The no/low ultra processed food lifestyle keeps me satiated better, therefore I can control my portions better.

I use local maple syrup in my sweet vinaigrettes and hubs' granola as well as honey in some things. I do use organic sugar in my pies and jam (I have many fruit trees), but I always reduce the typical amount. We prefer the taste anyway....we rarely had desserts or cookies growing up as my father was very anti-sugar, anti- processed food country "hippie" of the 60s and 70s.
Great post! Actually I too cut out a lot of the junk before I learned about Michael Pollan and his teachings. He actually goes out to those factory farms and films stuff so we can actually see on the free YouTube videos what we are eating! UGH!

And I agree... eating "real" food does satisfy the cravings so much better. I honestly believe the manufacturers *intentionally* put ingredients in the processed foods which are addictive and make people eat more; plus people just simply do not get the nutrition from all those chemicals and stuff.

That is neat that you grow your own Stevia. For me I consider that in the "fake sugar" category and do not use it (because of the way it is processed). But that would be great having your own in your garden. I don't like things that sweet anyway so I don't even have any sugar in my house. For things such as oatmeal, etc., I find that pure vanilla works great.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:00 AM   #67  

Height: 6-1.5

It has probably been written above somewhere, but Aspartame is an Excitotoxin. The two most common to our food is Monosodium Glutamate, and Aspartame. Excitotoxins stimulate glutamate receptors, which are receptors that attract glutamate (one of the amino acids), and also the aspartic acid found in Aspartame. This messes up the gultamate receptors. These receptors are found all over the body but especially in the brain where glutamate (amino acid) is one of the chemicals that create neurotransmitters in your brain. This affects learning, memory, emotion, and also the endocrine system. The endocrine system includes the islet cells of the pancreas, which are important in regulating insulin-- the fat storing hormone. So yeah, there would be a connection between aspartamine use and weight gain. It is also a potential culprit in Parkinson's, Altheimer's, ADHD, Learning disabilities, and sleep disorders, as well as depression and other mental health issues.

I was never a huge "artificial sweetener" user. These days, I really would not want to risk it. I don't trust HFCS either. I don't trust that because one more step in processing and you are at ethanol, the gasoline additive.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:17 AM   #68  
banned

Default Yes it is bad for you

Indeed artificial sweeteners are bad. It has the word ARTIFICIAL. anything artificial and not organic can be harmful in our body.
scottymccall18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:20 AM   #69  
saggzz

S/C/G: 222/205.6/170

Height: 5'9"

This is an interesting thread. I suffered from heart palpitations a few years ago and when I quit drinking diet pepsi, they went away. Recently, I have had a few diet pepsi's and every time I drink one, the palpitations come back.
So for me, there is a direct correlation between the artificial sweeteners and the palpitations.
saggzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:17 AM   #70  

S/C/G: 95/80/65

Height: 5'5

Artificial sweeteners contribute more illness than benefits. Health organizations give cautious nod on them which people ignore. Why? because all want a short cut to get slim. One could go with honey. It's a better opt. Although if you are a diabetic consult your doctor before purchasing any random sweetener.
priyaaurora is offline   Reply With Quote