Old 12-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 160/123/???

Height: 5'7

I'm going to go with the actual, reputable science on this one and continue having artificial sweeteners.
vabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #47  

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs View Post
I'm going to go with the actual, reputable science on this one and continue having artificial sweeteners.
Same.

I've read as much as I could find about them over the years and am not convinced that they are harmful either physically or in weight loss efforts. I would prefer to not use them, but I don't want to use sugar anymore or go without sweet taste. I guess I consider artificial sweeteners (Splenda) a 'necessary evil', use it in moderation, and have had no negative reactions after years of use.

By the way, 'Natural' is not synonymous with 'safe'. There are many natural compounds derived from plants that are very dangerous. I would never use anything touted as 'natural' unless it's been in used widely for many, many years.
jansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:15 PM   #48  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

"All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous." Paracelsus, who pioneered the use of chemicals and minerals in medicine.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:41 PM   #49  
Empress/Queen

Same, to an extent. I use small amounts of Splenda now & then. I think it is fine for me. I am no longer influenced by the dietary philosophies of others & just don't see much problem for me in the use of Splenda. I do feel I get headaches from some sweeteners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs View Post

Last edited by Amarantha2; 12-31-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:45 AM   #50  

Personally, I cannot digest artificial sweeteners. They make me incredibly sick. Even a stick of sugar free gum is enough to cause a really upset stomachs and severe headache.
TheLauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:08 PM   #51  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

The Shocking Story of How Aspartame Became Legal

http://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/201...ame-legal.html

Last edited by Annik; 07-07-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #52  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annik View Post
The Shocking Story of How Aspartame Became Legal

http://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/201...ame-legal.html
I personally enjoy good fiction as well but Aspartane has been studied quite a bit. Sure, some people will have Aspartane problems. Some people will die if they eat peanuts. It doesn't mean we need to ban peanut M&Ms.

By the way - I can link you to some other good fiction. Did you know we never actually went to the moon? It's true, just google it.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:52 PM   #53  

S/C/G: Started Cal Counting on 1/4/16

Height: 5'10"

Betcha we can argue this issue until we are blue in the face.

I personally don't touch artificial sweeteners.

Bottom line....none of these chemical ladden artificial sweeteners were around way back in the day - you know, when people were actually cooking real food and baking their own bread and buying their milk from farmers.

I've read enough about them that I wouldn't touch them. They are proven to cause cancer in lab animals. And the FDA is worthless, folks.
JerseyPAGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:03 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 163/142/130

I dont touch it either, not because of what might happen, I just cannot stand that oversweet taste in my mouth enough to spit it out. I decided to limit sugar in general because to be honest I might love that piece of cake but it bites me right back. Easier to avoid than control for me that is.
Michou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:50 PM   #55  
maintaining since 9/2013

I've come to view sugar as a toxin worth avoiding.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:36 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 283/213/130

Height: 5'6"

I tend to think that people are going to have positive and negative things to say about EVERYTHING. At the end of the day, you have to look into it yourself and make the decision for yourself because there is just so many determining factors and arguments to be made either way. Chemical sweeteners/herbal sweeteners/organic sweeteners... who is to say what is the best choice for you??? ... Only you!
Kuualoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:04 AM   #57  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharmsluv View Post
I recently purchased a pack of artificial sweeteners called Lo-Kal which has Asparatame. I read on the internet (after buying the sweetener) that Asparatame is not good for your health.

I got the artificial sweetener to add to the lime juice that I drink almost everyday (once a day). I am trying to lose weight and I add the artificial sweetener to the juice hoping it'll have a positive effect on my body. Please let me know if its safe to consume and if it would help me lose weight or not. Thank you

Oh and I stopped drinking Diet Coke because I read this article that it increases the fat levels in your tummy area. Is it true?
I think it is safe for consumption, but probably isn't very good for you. As for if it helps you gain weight, very slowly it does over a long period of time, but as long as you do some physical exercise then it shouldn't really make you gain weight. Good job on giving up the soda. I did so recently also. I just allow myself one a week and it seems to be working. Hope this helps. Good luck.
KickinIt23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:47 PM   #58  
Yes.

I'd say consume with moderation as with anything in life. I personally don't use them as I hate the distinct taste artificial sweeteners have.
Forseir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:12 AM   #59  
Gettin' Healthy!

S/C/G: 265/258/140

Height: 5'4"

I personally prefer not to use them. If you are going to use things in moderation I would rather use raw sugar or honey.

My husband gets terrible stomach issues when he has anything with aspartame in it.
Firecracker777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:46 AM   #60  

S/C/G: 181/132.8/130

Height: 5'3.5"

Aartame is poison...personal opinion based on years of experience and reading the literature. It goes deeper than surface Calories and structure. It changes your body chemistry and how it functions short and long term.

I knew it was bad for me but I loved diet soda for almost 20 years. I have a lot of Side effects that weren't too bad early for n but have become a problem in the last few years. I really didn't connect the dots; I was in denial. Over the past year I had decreased my consumption to 1-2 sodas a day , and some of the side effects decreased but I still gained weight/had cravings. I went cold turkey 5 weeks ago and my of my what a positive difference (including weight loss).

Just my two cents worth and I am a former food scientist turned science teacher.
PrairieQueen is offline   Reply With Quote