Old 04-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/138

Height: 5'4"

I like almond milk and it's super easy to make your own so you know what's in it. You can make milk with any nut. Or rice. I sometimes use tofu or soy milk, but I try to buy organic since soy today is gmo. But then, so is corn and a lot of other food we eat. My brother, a registered nurse and also health fanatic, told me not to give my boys much soy due to the hormones.
sunshauna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #17  

S/C/G: S-218/C-170/G-159 & 24.9 BMI

Height: 5'7"-BMI-26.6=OVERWEIGHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock View Post
How about Almond milk or Coconut milk? Those are my go-to non dairy milks . GOOD stuff!
I tried to go that route and I purchased both of them on separate grocery visits. Both of them taste like Mylanta. It was horrible in my opinion. I was hoping that I liked them but I was VERY disappointed.
LAgreeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #18  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAgreeneyes View Post
I tried to go that route and I purchased both of them on separate grocery visits. Both of them taste like Mylanta. It was horrible in my opinion. I was hoping that I liked them but I was VERY disappointed.
You might want to experiment with different brands, as they tend to vary a lot, but you might not care for any of them and that could be expensive. Some brands sell juice box size so you can try those. I like coconut milk in the can for making curries and soups, but the kind in the milk carton for drinking isn't my thing. My husband really likes Blue Diamond and Silk brand chocolate almond milk, too much sugar in those for me, but they taste good! I like to rotate my plant-based milks for variety, and some are better in certain things than others. The ones we generally buy other than chocolate almond are Temp hemp milk, 8th Continent soy milk, Pacific oat milk, and Good Karma flax milk. Not a huge fan of rice milk myself, but lots of people like it. There are so many options, you're bound to find something you like if you try a few different things.

Last edited by shananigans; 04-19-2012 at 10:50 AM.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #19  

S/C/G: S-218/C-170/G-159 & 24.9 BMI

Height: 5'7"-BMI-26.6=OVERWEIGHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shananigans View Post
You might want to experiment with different brands, as they tend to vary a lot, but you might not care for any of them and that could be expensive. Some brands sell juice box size so you can try those. I like coconut milk in the can for making curries and soups, but the kind in the milk carton for drinking isn't my thing. My husband really likes Blue Diamond and Silk brand chocolate almond milk, too much sugar in those for me, but they taste good! I like to rotate my plant-based milks for variety, and some are better in certain things than others. The ones we generally buy other than chocolate almond are Temp hemp milk, 8th Continent soy milk, Pacific oat milk, and Good Karma flax milk. Not a huge fan of rice milk myself, but lots of people like it. There are so many options, you're bound to find something you like if you try a few different things.
I will continue to try different things. Really the only milk that I really love is Very Vanilla Soy Milk but it has 16g of sugar in 1 cup.
LAgreeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #20  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

FYI - For those following this thread, there was a bit of a cleanup. It seemed to get way off topic and other mods got involved. We understand that some people can have strong beliefs about certain subjects but you should always look at health claims critically.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 172/170/130

Height: 5'7

I just want to point out that most soy and soy milk is not the soy our ancestors were consuming. Nearly every soy bean grown in north and south America is a GMO patent owned by Monsanto. Theses new crops really haven't been around long enough to know the impact they have on our health. There are the concerns about phytoestrogens which I find pretty scary and really don't think children or men should have soy for that reason alone.

Also most non-organic soy is fertilized using bio-solids(processed human waste) (I lived near soy fields in my home town and can assure you that is not a made up fact there is a distinct difference in smell between bio-solid fertilizer and animal fertilizer).

On a broader scale beyond health impact there is also the environmental impact. Soy is one of the most widely grown crops in north and south america and is used in both animal feed and for human consumption. Many areas of South America are using slash and burn agriculture to expand soy fields. I think soy is bad on many levels and really should be avoided.

On a side note I finally convinced my boyfriend to switch to almond milk which he says tastes the same as soy. I also know that by looking at him that making that change alone he has lost at least 5lbs. He also has lost some of the excess weight in he chest. It might be lower in protein but I think it is a much healthier alternative. Almond milk is also super easy to make yourself if you have a blender which can handle it you also know exactly what goes into it that way.
Veela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #22  
Just Me

Most soy milk I've seen is organic (which also means non-gmo) and the soy beans I buy are grown in Canada. I think the environmental impacts have a lot to do with agriculture as a whole and soy milk really isn't the culprit there. That is an entirely separate conversation though. I know it has been mentioned a few times but there seems to be no scientific reason that someone should avoid soy. Studies have been inconclusive at best.

Personally, I tend to mix it up. Even hemp milk once in a while but it tends to be expensive.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:45 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 13.3/12.10/9

Height: 5'4"

I love soy milk, I actually prefer the taste of it to dairy milk. Almond milk is also one of my favourites! I always go for the organic varieties since they seem to have fewer cals in, and when I was on atkins they were ideal for low carbing!
Psyence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #24  

Height: 5'8.5"

I avoid soy as much as possible also, because just the vast majority of it in America has been treated/sprayed with Monsanto Roundup.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #25  
Just Me

It is certainly possible that you could have some sort of intolerance to soy milk. I've never encountered bloating from soy milk myself.

I've actually started making it myself again. It is easy and fairly cheap. I bought some non-GMO beans online at a little over $1/lb and a lb of soy beans makes a good amount of soy milk. I'm also venturing into making soy yogurt because my husband loves it so it'll make that cheaper too.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #26  

Height: 5"6

Wow! Before reading this thread, I didn't realize there WAS a negative spin on soy! I use soy-based protein powder every day in my breakfast smoothie and I love it! I was once told at an Herbalife meeting that our bodies process more protein in non-animal sources. I can't recall the percentages, but it basically implied that even if cow milk has more protein, my body would absorb more of the vegetarian protein.

Damn...just when you have something figured out, eh!?

I personally will keep up with the soy. In regards to the soy milk, just make sure it doesn't have added sugar in it. I always get plain- it's tricky since it looks just like the Vanilla packs though!

Alright so, this week, I've had hummus and now soy milk derailed for me. If any of you ladies reveals that flax seed or anything similar is also harmful, I will hit my head on a wall :P
NorthernChick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:24 PM   #27  

S/C/G: tick'

Height: 5'8

I've never been a milk person. Even chocolate milk. Ever since I was weaned (not kidding) I've never drank milk. And when I ha my allergy test last year I found out about my intolerance. I LOVE almond milk. I'm obsessed with it. I really recommend trying it. I get the chocolate flavour. Gives me my chocolate fix and tastes delicious.
Remington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:46 AM   #28  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington90 View Post
I've never been a milk person. Even chocolate milk. Ever since I was weaned (not kidding) I've never drank milk. And when I ha my allergy test last year I found out about my intolerance. I LOVE almond milk. I'm obsessed with it. I really recommend trying it. I get the chocolate flavour. Gives me my chocolate fix and tastes delicious.
Can you tell me what brand you are using for the almond milk? I'd love to try it!!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:40 AM   #29  
Just Me

Well soy has a spin because there is a 'dark side to soy' in terms of Mosanto but the thing is, most of that soy goes toward animal feed and never makes it into human food. The human food that it does go into isn't soy milk (which is largely non-GMO) but rather processed foods like cereals, cereal bars, etc. Soy growing is a necessity due to the corn/soy relationship but again, most of that corn goes into animal feed along with processed foods like high fructose corn syrup. If people ate less processed foods and less animal products from factory farming then you'd see a huge decrease in GMO soy & corn.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #30  
Empress/Queen

I love soy and do well with it, but like all of our food supply, yes, there is a dark side to it and it can be problematic.

I also love dairy milk, almond milk, etc., have concerns about rice milk but like it.

I think in decades past there has been a bias against animal products (and I was a vegetarian for three decades), but our food supply, in my opinion, is messed up on all levels.

I try to buy the safest products I can find and also mix up my protein sources.

I like hemp milk also as a base, don't like the taste by itself.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote