Old 10-18-2011, 12:54 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 220/196/160

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for all the feed back. I will probably try wheat/gluten again after a few more weeks just to give it a challenge but right now I am enjoying my awesome sleeps too much to try now. My paternal Aunt has Celiac's disease quite badly and there is a history of Crohn's/IBS on the other side of the family. So there is a history of people and wheat not getting along quite the best in my family.

I thumbed through the Wheat Belly book while I was at Indigo on the weekend and I would still like to read it (but not pay 30 bucks for it). I'm sure he has some interesting points but it sounds like (from my limited reading/skimming) that you are supposed to give up a heck of a lot more than wheat. I just don't think I could do it. But who knows? I didn't think I could give up wheat either and I did and feel okay and don't miss it.

Although every time I drive by KFC I want to shove my head in a bucket of chicken . . . but that's a different issue for a different day.
Lucky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:13 AM   #17  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Default Wheat Belly...

I could not belive it. I started reading this book called Wheat Belly..and i was stunned to read about the affects of wheat and gluten, especially on those who have an intolerance to it like myself... Anyone else read it?
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:33 AM   #18  
Life is about balance

S/C/G: 283/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Haven't read the book, but I've researched gluten to death. I have Celiac's so I steer clear of the stuff. Gotta say changing my life style (eating) really really helped. I also have MD (mild) and the gluten affects my muscles, literally after some form of bread, cereal, cake...whatever, I begin to ache. Not to mention, what it did to my stomach and intestines...funny, they never hurt, but they couldn't absorb the proper nutrients I needed to live. I nearly capoots last year from bleeding to death. I wasn't even bleeding that much, it was long and slow, but my body couldn't replenish since I had no iron in me. It's funny how one tiny little gluten protein could do that.

In a matter of two weeks in just cutting that out, nothing else, I started dropping pounds. So without even really trying to lose weight I was. Also I got less headaches. My bouts of physical pain has cut considerably...that right there is the greatest gift of not eating gluten. I haven't had to have an iron treatment for over 6 months and I believe my Vitamin D is leveling out. It is very very painful when you don't have Vitamin D flowing through your body. It's like a miracle. A lot of people are probably intolerant and don't know it, like me, b/c they don't experience intestinal discomfort. But there is so much more to that ugly little protein.
mamakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 198/193/145

Height: 5' 5"

Default Gluten Free for 3 years

I have Celiac's disease, and I tell you being gluten free does not help you lose weight...well, it does in the beginning...then you start eating the subsitutes and the weight goes back on. I would limit your gluten intake to maybe one meal a day...like breakfast (for the kick start to the metabolism). I'm going back on my cleaning diet, since I haven't been feeling well and think I may have eaten something gluten. The cleanse always helps me drop 15.
Utenatwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

As research continues, they are finding some people are predisposed to the "gluten" intolarence/celiacs and if you are Irish/Scottish/Welsh decendents you are at a greater risk. I believe almost all that goes wrong with us, is inherited and we "aggravate" with food and environmental factors. I was tested at a very good allergy center in Syracuse NY and I tested postitive for everything they stuck in me and had to be given a shot to calm back down. The doctor said I should basically eat like a caveman (well cavewoman) Protein, nuts & berries and some veggies. Well, you know that doesn't happen totally, but I definitely try to stay in that direction. My symtoms cleared (several yrs now), open sores healed, severe aches, including headaches improved greatly. I think each person has to figure out what is best for them by eliminating and then slowly adding back to see how you react. by the way I am more than half Irish and part Welsh, interesting!
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #21  

I have stopped eating wheat. Noticed many health improvements. No more stomach pains/bloating, had that a lot while eating wheat. Eczema and different skin problems also gone. In general I have much more energy without wheat/gluten.
Gabbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #22  
Wife and Mother :)

S/C/G: bf 30%/16.5%/15%

Height: 5f 6

I have dermographism, which is a skin condition which means that if my skin gets scratched, hives (welts)form in my skin and they leave a red mark on the skin (which burns) for 10 mins and then fades.

I developed said condition around puberty and still lie with it now at 34 years old. There is no cure.

However, since i reducted my intake of wheat and refined carbs, my skin has become 90% better and certainly more manageable, no more itching

And the weight has also dropped off, as i used to eat alot of bread (my trigger food).

I feel amazing now I average one slice of wm bread a day
gamesmaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #23  

I'm gluten free. I was diagnosed with RA and saw a naturopathic doctor who led me down the road to better health. I started with IBS in my teens and had irregular periods (sorry TMI). The IBS got worse in my late 20s and I was given a prescription for Bentyl. It helped, but not totally. No doctors ever told me to cut out gluten or dairy or anything. I had GERD too. I'm thankful this doc helped me realize how bad it is for some people. I'm reading Wheat Belly now on my Kindle. I love reading books confirming what I already know to be true about wheat and how it affects us.

I still have a rash on my upper arms that really looks like a yeast type rash, so I'm giving up sugar too. I've been doing low carb, but it's been too hard and I have no energy on it, so I'm back to calorie counting while avoiding gluten still of course and many other grains. Even cornmeal can cause me problems sometimes and also rice. I have to be careful of the foods I eat.
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #24  
Piseag beag boidheach

Height: 1.79

I gave up wheat in April, and it helped me reduce the feeling of being constantly bloated, as well as losing 6 kilos in a month I have tried to keep as much wheat-free as possible, but I have had a few ocassions where I ended up being forced to eat wheat or severely wheat polluted things (or ate wheat without realizing it was in the food, like some stock cubes). Those few ocassions made me realize how bad wheat is for me (after one party where I decided to consciously eat wheat, it took me like one week to be back into my weight and belly size ).

Regarding withdrawal symptoms, I had bad cravings, though not any other bad symptoms. What I usually miss a lot is bread, as the supermarkets where I live are very scarce in gluten free products (well, to be fair, the whole country sucks regarding gluten free products) I get good pasta, some rice cakes and cookies (full of fat, yuck), but not much else, so I tend to be quite creative with bakery. The only problem is that I have realised that xhantam and guar gum bloat me awfully, so that also limits what I can eat

I have been in the UK for the past 2 months (less than two weeks more here now ), and I have been tempted by all the delicious gluten free stuff at the local supermarket (mmmm, gluten free brownies).
Teacher2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #25  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Wow, MrEvil, you can't argue with those results!

I found that giving up wheat items was much easier than I thought it would be, but going too long without it was driving me nuts. So I compromised! I allow myself two whole wheat items on the weekends (usually in the form of a wrap or toasted sandwich). It's much easier to make lunch by throwing some chicken and veggies in a bag during the week anyway!

I'm still a firm believer in calories in vs calories out for my weight, but I've seen some great results when I limited my wheat intake that I can't really ignore
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #26  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I avoid grains. They don't make me feel good... I avoid things that make me feel yucky!

When I first took it out of my diet it was hard. Now, when I do eat it... I feel nasty, too. It's obvious that it doesn't agree with me.

It can't hurt to try removing it all from your diet again and seeing how you feel. It takes a few days/weeks to get it fully out of your system. Hang in there! Everyone is different.

Last edited by ValRock; 04-22-2012 at 07:58 PM.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #27  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

I've read it's pretty common to develop sensitivities/intolerances after taking foods out of your diet. Sensitivities/intolerances can actually be very transitory in the big scheme of things, and often point to bigger, other health issues. I do think modern wheat poses a large, often unrecognized challenge to many people - partially from the hybridized proteins themselves, and often exacerbated by the systemic damage that our modern diets/environments have on our bodies.

Last edited by Desiderata; 07-06-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #28  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Ugh...no more bread in the morning for me. I wanted an English muffin and my policy is not to deny myself things for too long because I'll go crazy. So despite my "weekend only" policy regarding bread, I decided to have the English muffin with my egg. It was whole wheat, high fiber, etc.

I'm SO HUNGRY!! and I've eaten more than I usually do (and most times I have to consciously remember to eat). Funny, I don't have this problem when—on the weekends—I have my flatbread with lunch. I'm also tired despite getting more than enough sleep last night and waking up refreshed.

No more bread for breakfast AT ALL. Just eggs, meat and veggies like I've been doing.

Last edited by sontaikle; 04-24-2012 at 12:02 PM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:36 PM   #29  
dirty labour daughter

S/C/G: 318/301/155

Height: 5'10"

I don't eat any wheat and I use gluten free substitutes VERY VERY rarely - almost exclusively to make breakfast muffins for my husband occasionally. We plan to transition 100% away from GF substitutes this year. We don't buy GF pasta, cookies, chips, etc. as we try to avoid all grains and grain-like seeds (quinoa, amaranth, etc.) most of the time.

We do occasionally (think once or twice per year) go out for gluten free pizza, which we'll probably continue to do even after we've cut out 100% of the substitutes at home.

Last edited by merilung; 01-21-2013 at 11:37 PM.
merilung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #30  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
If we avoided all of the foods that are promoted as bad for us then we'd probably just sit around eating lettuce all day
This made me laugh. My MIL has issues. I think she needs a new doctor personally. She has GERD and according to her darn near everything gives her heartburn because it has to much acid. Including lettuce. Yet she won't give up the caffeine and soda that have been shown to cause issues.

Anyways....I gave up gluten for 16 days and then reintroduced it. Withing 30 minutes I was feeling nauseous and for the remainder of the day I felt 'off'. I ate it again the next day and felt the same way. So as of Monday I am gluten free again for a month. I've also decided to get rid of dairy. I really do think that I have something going on with dairy. I CRAVE cheese like you wouldn't believe even though I don't drink milk at all.
zinkemomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote