Stir fry sauce

• Okay so the ONLY way i can get vegetables in my diet is if i make a stir fry with chicken breast and no noodles, and Pour about a 2-3 tablespoons of La Choy sauce. I buy frozen Broccoli stir fry mix btw, but the problem is the other day i read the labeling for the product i was using and i'm trying to stay clear of anything that has alot of sodium or sugars in it. To some people it's not alot,but to me it is. Here is the nutrition facts:

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 tbsp (16g)
    Servings Per Container about 25
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 20
    Calories from Fat 0
    Total Fat 0g 0%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 170mg 7%
    Total Carbohydrate 4g 1%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Sugars 3g
    Protein 0g
    Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 0% Iron 0%

TL;DR
    I need a Stir Fry sauce that isn't bad for me, Or easy recipe.
  • What is making it palatable for you is the combo of salt from soy and the sweetness from sugar. You could try mixing up just a tsp of lower sodium soy sauce, sugar substitute, bit of water and some garlic powder and if available fresh ginger grated or a light touch of powdered. A squirt of orange juice is nice too.
  • I usually make my own sauce with a bit of peanut butter, a dash of soy sauce, ginger powder, and chili-garlic paste. Combine then double in amount by adding water. Super easy. I haven't looked at the sodium in it but I really only put in between a tsp or a tbsp of soy sauce. I find I don't need a sweet taste in my stir-fry. Sometimes I do add a dash of lime juice, though. Mm.
  • I mix mine up with low sodium soy sauce, ginger, garlic, chili-garlic (sriracha), and sometimes add no-salt no-sugar natural peanut butter and agave nectar. I also go to Asian markets to buy hoisin, fish sauce, nuoc cham, etc, but those can be high in sodium.

If you want to buy a sauce prepared, there are some places that carry no-sodium products like Mr. Spice.

Have you tried any other ways of preparing your veggies? My favorite is just oven roasting fresh veggies with a little olive oil, sea salt, and fresh cracked pepper.

Frozen veggies aren't nearly as palatable to me, and sauces are good for covering that up. Maybe fresh veggies would give you more opportunity for variety.
  • You could try coconut aminos. Not exactly the same taste, but similar. Add some ground ginger, maybe stevia for sweetness.
  • Low sodium soy sauce is available, and so are sugar substitutes like Stevia. I've made a bulgogi sauce with stevia that turned out really well. It'll probably be easier to go the sweet-sauce route than the salty-sauce route to make the flavours pop, though. And of course adding meat to your stir fry helps...
  • I use rice vinegar when I first start my veggies. At the end I add a bit more with some lite soy sauce, garlic powder, and some ginger. If you like sweet then add a little sugar substitute.
  • I would not consider a portion (or 3) of that bad in the slightest. Eat on.

You gotta do what you gotta do.

Nice one on replacing the noodles with veggies. That's the kind of thinking you need.