Green Supplement

• I'm curious if anyone has any experience with taking a green vitamin supplement. I just ordered some Vitamineral Greens which have rave reviews on Amazon. Does anyone have any experience with this supplement or any others?
  • Quote: I'm curious if anyone has any experience with taking a green vitamin supplement. I just ordered some Vitamineral Greens which have rave reviews on Amazon. Does anyone have any experience with this supplement or any others?
    Not with that particular one, but before I improved my diet to the point that it is now, I took another greens type of supplement, though the name escapes me. I think I got it at GNC. Anyway, I felt good while I was taking them, so they're worth trying
  • If you are unable to get in lots of green vegetables I can see the point, but I can only report that friends who took or drank them, after a few weeks, realized it was more in their heads than their bodies. The interest in improving health also lead them to eat more thoughtfully so it was a "chicken & egg" kind of thing. They did not notice a diff when they stopped the green supps. My personal opinion is that I would invest in fresh lovely organic green produce with the money that would go to a supp. There are lots of recipes here and on the net for smoothies, for example, that can get you started eating "green" in a big way. Good luck!
  • I wonder what quantity of a green leafy vegetable would give you the same result as a green supplement?
  • I think it is almost impossible to determine since there will be discussion of the loss of nutrients in the processing and the like.
  • I drink a green drink to get more veggies in, but would prefer the tablets. I'll have to look them up. thanks
  • My mother in law is a food scientist and fwiw, she thinks those are a waste. I'm going to start making green smoothies tomorrow and this is my first one that I"ll try: http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/dr-ozs-green-drink
  • I have a strong suspicion that a spinach salad, or some spinach in a smoothie or what have you, would be just as good. Not as convenient as tablets, but if you're eating a wholefoods diet it's not that hard to eat green leafy vegetables several times a week, and you'd probably get much more out of a single serving. As Tommy said, those supplements are processed and will presumably have lost nutrients as a result. That plus the fact that "superfood" or not, you're eating a tiny quantity when you have a supplement, as opposed to the far more substantial quantity you eat of the fresh vegetable - which also includes fibre and water and other important things.

Are seaweeds meant to be superfoods? I try to remember to put a bit of wakame in when I make miso soup, which I generally have a few times a week. The quantity is much smaller than the amount I'd be eating of spinach or pak choi or what have you, though, but certainly as far as flavour is concerned, seaweed is very concentrated stuff.
  • What, this is very difficult to determine. I think the tabls can be of great help in this situation.