Old 10-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #1  
Keeping it real!

S/C/G: 40/31/30 waist inches!

Height: 5' 4"

Default Talk to me about sugar alcohols please ..

So I'm just phasing out of IP and I'm at goal. I want to make some long term changes to some of the foods I've been eating by going lower carb mainly. It seems like everytime I pick up a packet of "low-carb" food (such as pancake mix, syrup, etc.) - there's always a listing for sugar alcohols.

I'm not diabetic or pre-diabetic so should I concern myself with these or not? Does anyone know exactly how our bodies react to them and what are "safe" limits?

Also - if you have a good idea for a change that you've made, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks!
healthyangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #2  

As far as I know, they're safe to use in reasonable amounts. I've never heard any kind of research linking them to cancer or anything like that.

I love sugar free syrup and sugar free peanut butter cups. However, be aware that they can cause gas if eaten in excess. Really, really, really bad gas and for some people diarrhea. This is because most of it can't be broken down by your body, but the bacteria in your digestive tract can break it down.

They also don't contribute to tooth decay like sugar does, so that's a plus!
CabernetKitty is offline   Reply With Quote