Old 09-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #1  
Guy on a Diet

S/C/G: 448/253/183

Height: 6'0"

Default Market Deli Fried Chicken vs KFC Extra Crispy Calories?

Hi everyone,

I wasn't sure where to post this one. Trying to diet while being forced to eat not-so-healthy food is a challenge right now. I did manage, by some miracle to maintain this morning the scale.

At any rate, my father brought home some market deli prepared fried chicken breasts, and I'm trying to find the calories for this, and it's a real challenge, let me tell you.

And, I'm getting all sorts of numbers, and none of them agree. My diet calorie counting program says - 700 calories (?!), that's a lot of calories for ONE piece of chicken, I had two.

So I compared this to KFC original recipe, which was half of those calories at 360 vs the Extra Crispy 510. I went ahead and added the custom calories for the extra crispy because I usually err on the side of caution, so it's not a big surprise if I am up on the scale the next morning.

But I am wondering, what is your opinion on market deli chicken vs the Colonel's extra crispy? Is it truly comparable to the original recipe or extra crispy? In my case, I'm in the Southern California area so it's Stater Bros. markets if you've had theirs. To me it tastes very similar to the extra crispy, so I used those calories.

What's everyone's opinions on this? Naturally avoiding fried chicken altogether is the best solution, I know that. :P But I am being forced to eat what I am served and what is available to me, which is a lot of crap, so I have to basically work around it and limit calories that way, and it's not easy.

Last edited by Thin Desire; 09-26-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Thin Desire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #2  
it's always something

The difference could be due to the weight of the pieces of chicken (assuming they are the same cuts) as well as the recipe for each. You may be left guessing.

You could peel off the breading and skin and blot off as much oil as you can before eating it. That should make a huge difference!
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I would do as Suzanne says, do not eat the skin, but it will still have a lot of calories.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #4  
Guy on a Diet

S/C/G: 448/253/183

Height: 6'0"

I know, I"m just trying to gauge if the deli chicken was equivalent to extra crispy or original since the difference is like 200 calories. What is everyone's opinion? They seem similar to me. Already ate it, thankfully, there was no scale penalty.

But yeah, I'll probably just remove the skin next time.
Thin Desire is offline   Reply With Quote