Popcorn! good or bad i'm really confused!!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I'm sure this can't be a bad food but does anyone know the calories in it?

x
  • One cup of air-popped popcorn is 31 calories. This is measured after popping, of course.
    You can get answers to calorie questions at www.fitday.com and it's free.
    Google is a good resource too.
  • I usually buy the light 100 calorie popcorn bags- those are a good snack.

I mean the popcorns with cheese and stuff aren't exactly low fat/low cal- those are the ones I'd stay away from as well at theater popcorn, they put a TON of oil in them.
  • People normally say it is bad for you because they think of it dripping with butter and salt. It is actually a great low cal fiber filled snack if you skip the butter. I am weird, I sprinkle a little time juice on my popcorn and it makes it taste delicious. I wouldn't recomment this unless you really love lime juice like me!
  • Jenny - try sprinkling a little salt and chili powder with your lime...amazing!
  • Good tips!
  • My favorite topping for air popped popcorn is Splenda and sea salt. Love the salty/sweet thing, and the taste is very similar to Kettle Corn, which I love!
  • I always eat air popped popcorn, usually 3-4 times a week. Its low calorie that way, the only thing I add is a little bit of salt free seasoning blend and some I cant believe its not butter spray, shake it up in a bag so it all gets some flavor and eat it up. Keeps me feeling full, its my go to late night snack so i dont wake up in the middle of the night with hunger.
  • I agree that popcorn can be an amazing filling natural snack. I am vowing to explore the more natural methods like popping in a paper bag in the microwave. For now, the 100 calories bags accompanied by some grape tomatoes, and some sweet/hot mustard (homemade with mustard powder, vinegar, Splenda) take me through some major snacky snacky times. If I add some thin sliced cheese from the deli (I get super thin sliced so a little goes a long way in terms of flavor) eaten alongside it is a mini-meal and really tops me up and keeps me out of trouble.
  • I think the jury is still out on whether microwave popcorn is good for you (not so sure about the chemicals), but air popped is definitely a good high fiber low cal snack!

I also love lime juice on my popcorn with salt and ground cumin. It's yummy.
  • I'm going to have to try the lime / salt / cumin thing -- sounds awesome!! I make popcorn with just a bit of oil in a Whirly-Pop on the stovetop.
  • I don't even know where to find air popped popcorn or how to do it..... anyone clue me in??
  • There are air popcorn machines you can buy.

For me, I buy bagged popcorn that is oil free and usually salt free.
  • We got a small air popper at Target for about $12.
  • Popcorn is a great snack.It also has alot of fiber.