Old 06-23-2008, 04:24 PM   #1  
One Pound at a Time

S/C/G: 190/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Default wine drinkers?

Okay, I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to wine, but I know that red wine is good for you and I'm interested in having a glass at the end of the day for health benefits (and just to unwind after work). Now, from what I'm reading, most wines are only "good" for a couple of days at most after being uncorked the first time. So how do people drink just one glass of wine a night? Do you just buy smaller bottles? I know someone who says he just drinks the entire bottle in one night, which I am NOT interested in doing. I just want a small glass a night, and I'm the only one that will be drinking it.
OnceUponADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:42 PM   #2  

hey there! i checked on amazon.com for "wine stoppers" and they have LOADS! and for cheap cheap - like $8... granted im sure wine accessories come in very high-end form too, but id give something like that a shot.

our stats are so similar!! good luck and enjoy the vino!
partypantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:03 PM   #3  
One Pound at a Time

Well, that's the thing. I have a wine stopper, but from what I've been told (and maybe this is completely wrong) every time you open the wine bottle it oxidizes a little more, and by the time you open it 2 or 3 times the wine is "ruined" in a sense. Not that it goes bad, but the taste and quality suffers. I don't know if this is a significant difference that most people would notice or if it's just something that frequent wine drinkers are aware of and concerned about. And I hear that the sweeter wines, which is what I like, oxidize even faster than the others.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:24 PM   #4  

Default RE: wine

Hi,
I am in the same boat. I have heard that the vacumn company Tilia makes bottle stoppers for use with their vacumn pumps that do a nice job on wine. They used to make a great wine saver I am told , but it is no longer available. So far I have just not looked into these stoppers so if anyone uses them, please post.

Good luck. Currently I have just lowered my standard and finish a bottle a week with no great distortion in taste.

Sheridan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:25 PM   #5  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

You know, if you're not a wine aficionado, I doubt you'll even notice the difference in the quality of the glass after the wine has been in your fridge for 4 or 5 days. I certainly don't, and I know enough about wine to notice...if I cared. (I work in the industry.) Also, if you're spending 5 to 8 bucks on a bottle, I don't really think this level of wine is "high-quality and delicate" enough for it to make a difference. So what I'm saying is, don't let what you read dissuade you from getting a bottle and keeping it in your fridge for a week and drinking it slowly. You'll probably find that works fine for you.

There's a wine brand called "Black Box" which makes mid-quality wines that come in a box, and the box is designed to not let any air in, so the wine will not oxidize at all while sitting on your shelf, even though you are drinking it over time. IIRC, it's about enough wine to have a glass every day for a month. I've been looking for it, but haven't been able to find any locally.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:31 AM   #6  
One Pound at a Time

Thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #7  
Chuggin' along...

I have a vacuum wine saver like this one and I use it often, b/c I don't drink a whole bottle of wine too often, and it might be a week or two or three before I want more.

I'm not a wine connoisseur by any means. I can't tell you when it's fruity or dry or any of those things, and I don't buy pricey bottles (I just graduated from box wine - I've finally decided that's too cheap for my tastes). But I can tell when a bottle has been in the fridge, corked (not vacu-sealed) for a few days, and the wine has oxidized. It just tastes off to me. I love my vacuum sealer!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:37 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 225/158/135

Height: 5'5

I love love love red wine but only have it over the weekends, so opening a nice bottle isn't really a waste. I'll finish it
Black Box is certainly drinkable, and if you want to go that route it's prolly the best box wine out there. I've never noticed a change in quality in the time it's taken us to finish one.
ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:07 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

There are also some wines that come in mini-bottle 4-packs. I think they're about a serving and a half per little bottle. That way, you only open what you're going to drink. They should be able to tell you more about it at your local liquor store.

Also, sometimes I buy a really inexpensive wine, like Charles Shaw from Trader Joe's ($3/bottle!) That way, if I don't finish the bottle, I don't feel quite as wasteful. They have other wines there too that are not too expensive, and I'm pretty sure they offer wine tastings so that you can pick one that you like.
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:26 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I love the little 4 packs of wine that you can buy. There are some very good brands and types that are available - and I'm picky about my wine.

Also, as someone else said, unless you're really really really into wine, you're not going to notice the tiny bit of change that takes place over 4 or so days. Just make sure you re-cork the bottle immediately after pouring your glass.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:36 PM   #11  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Another Vacu-vin aficionado here. It works great to save a bottle of wine for another day. We also enjoy dry red wine daily - it has been a wonderful way to end the day. I save enough calories so that it "fits" my plan.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:12 PM   #12  
One Pound at a Time

I'll definitely check out the mini-bottles too!
Old 08-02-2008, 01:55 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 280/262/180

Height: 6'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMaiden View Post
You know, if you're not a wine aficionado, I doubt you'll even notice the difference in the quality of the glass after the wine has been in your fridge for 4 or 5 days. I certainly don't, and I know enough about wine to notice...if I cared. (I work in the industry.) Also, if you're spending 5 to 8 bucks on a bottle, I don't really think this level of wine is "high-quality and delicate" enough for it to make a difference. So what I'm saying is, don't let what you read dissuade you from getting a bottle and keeping it in your fridge for a week and drinking it slowly. You'll probably find that works fine for you.

There's a wine brand called "Black Box" which makes mid-quality wines that come in a box, and the box is designed to not let any air in, so the wine will not oxidize at all while sitting on your shelf, even though you are drinking it over time. IIRC, it's about enough wine to have a glass every day for a month. I've been looking for it, but haven't been able to find any locally.
the black box wine is great. I get mine at Sam's Im not sure if that is a national store chain or if we just have them here in Texas. But either way it tastes great and lasts a long time!
bentley fontane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:07 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 280/262/180

Height: 6'5

oh and they have a website too just google black box wine
bentley fontane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:45 AM   #15  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Angie and I have the same wine saver vacumm that MEGAN has. It works good for us and our 2 Buck Chuck.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote