Old 01-30-2007, 06:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 298/225/200~>165

Height: 5 11

Question Gallbladder woes: I don't know what to eat!!

Hi all,

I am losing weight well , and exercising all the time, something I thought I never would do, BUT... I am scheduled for Gallbladder surgery on Feb 22 and have to keep myself from having an attack, so the surgery will go on schedule ( I have to wait 6 weeks between attacks...I'm going to Florida in April can't risk an attack!!!) SO....this leaves me able to eat the following: (no meat BTW), most veggies with the exception of tomatoes and cukes. I've been surviving on my infamous veggie soup ( every veggie known to mankind, the base is V8, and I add a mix of beans as well, it's really good, but getting old fast) Multigrain bread, no fat, no sugar Yogurt, Strawberries, and mixed berries, and jello ( no sugar).

I NEED new foods before I go insane, any ideas? I have to avoid all fat right now, it's vital.

Thanks!!
Shannon
goldfleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:56 PM   #2  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Sorry to hear about your woes! I've been where you are but you must have it either worse than I did or there's different "rules" now. I don't remember anything about waiting in between attacks for the surgery to go ahead. And, for me, as long as I stayed away from really fatty (i.e. fried foods etc.), I was fine.

Are you really sure that you have to avoid everything? Is this what you were told or from experience. I'd be surprised if you can't eat fish or chicken breasts. And forgetting the carbs, nutrition etc. some brown rice or potatoes should be okay too.

I don't know if I've been any help, I just wondered if you were maybe being overly cautious and I wondered why. Once I found out what my problem was (with my gallbladder) I think I was able to avoid all attacks.

Let me know if there's anything else I can tell you to help at all and good luck.
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:48 PM   #3  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

I also had gallbladder attacks and I just had to avoid fatty foods. I know a friend of mine had to avoid citrus fruits and tomatoes and fatty foods.
Good luck with it as I know how painful it is.
Take Care
Newlifestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Oh I understand your problem. In November I went to the hospital with abdominal pain and was diagnosed with gallstones. While waiting to have my surgery I ended up going to the hospital again and having to have an ERCP and removal (emergency based). It sucks, I’ve been one of the unlucky ones where I’m still having problems with food 2 months after my surgery.

For the week between my diagnosis and my surgery I would typically eat:
B: Chex cereal and skim milk (you could substitute any fat-free cereal)
L: Broth based soup and crackers, maybe a piece of fruit
D: Either soup and crackers again or a piece of chicken (baked or on the grilled) and vegetables
S: either another bowl of cereal or 94% popcorn

I use fit day and tried to keep my fat intake under 20 grams (both then and now because of the complications).

Here are some foods I know I can’t eat (and everyone is different):
Anything fried
Avocado
Full fat dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt)
Coconut
Lunchmeat
Butter
Nuts
Ground beef (unless it is 90-something lean)
If I get fast food I generally get a chicken salad or chicken sandwich

I hope that is at least some help and I hope that your surgery goes well.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:16 PM   #5  

I am being cautious, but my gallbladder is full of stones and it seems to the point that anything sets it off. Funny you mentioned fitday, I started it back up today and find I am consuming a lot of carbs! The darn soup with the added beans has me doubled over with gas, so I'm really frustrated at this point. I can NEVER have that pain again, I've had 2 kids, no pain meds, at all, and the last lead me to stick with 2 not the 3 I wanted, and I've never felt pain like this Gallbladder attack...so cautious is a good thing for me,lol.
I was told by the surgeon that if my gallbladder had another attack like the last one I would have to wait 6 weeks while things calmed down before they dare open me up. They are hoping to do it lap. as opposed to the old fashioned way, which is what I need as I can't take that much time off work!
Anyhoo, I just needed some veggie and low carb/fat type meals I can whip up to keep me sane, LOL.
Thanks
Shannon
Old 01-30-2007, 10:29 PM   #6  

I am sorry Sharon. They had no choice but to do mine after my second attack (they were able to do it thought a lap). The stones moved into my bile duct and blocked it so my liver couldn't work properly and I was janudis (sp?). I was in the hospital 3 days before the ERCP and 4 days before the actual removal (they wouldn't dare release me out of fear I would turn spetic). Once I went into the hospital I wasn't allowed to eat or drink until after the suregry because they were afraid of me turning spetic. They also told me several times that they might have to make it an open surgery because of the complications.

Everyone that has had gallstones and children has told me that having kids should be no problem after this.

As for the soup I was eating campbells chicken and stars soup at hand and then some campbells beef vegetable. The cereal and milk is what actually best.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:19 PM   #7  

I just noticed our goals are really similar, as our weights! Good luck and keep up the good work!!
Shannon
Old 01-31-2007, 04:38 PM   #8  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Just wanted to pop in and give my support. Been there done that! I was so violently ill I thought I was going to die. I had to go in for 3 separate test because although they suspected gall stones they couldn't find any. Come to find out I had one stone. One that filled the entire circumference of my gall bladder! I was one of the first in my area to have the lap procedure done, the surgeon had to actually crush the stone before he could remove it. I've never had a problem since.

As I recall I was pretty much living on rice and veggies a the time. I know you said you don't want to many carbs, but avoiding the pain would be more important to me than worrying about the weight loss. Cut yourself some slack. I'm sure you've been working hard at it, but don't drive yourself insane. It's an emergency situation and only temporary. Best of luck!
cantforgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:39 PM   #9  

Thanks Karen, I know you are right, it's the whole going to Florida thing, and my new bathing suit haunting me....My surgery is on the 22nd, and I feel like I have to lose a million lbs before. I know I'm setting myself up for a fall, but am basically kicking myself in the butt for not getting on track MUCH earlier, I'd have been under 200lbs and at least a bit happy with my appearance...it's all about the lack of self esteem baby, lol.

I'm making rice tomorrow BTW, LOL.

Shannon

P.S. stupid here had egg white with of all thing 'salsa' today....I could feel my gallbladder stones 'thinking about' doing the happy dance...yikes, that was a close call, stupidstupidstupid...lol
Old 01-31-2007, 11:50 PM   #10  

Shannon I didn't notice until you pointed it out but we are very close in starting weight, current weight, and goal. What plan are you following (prior to the gallstones)? How long having you been loosing?

Again best of luck waiting until you surgery!
Old 02-02-2007, 10:11 PM   #11  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

Sorry you're going through this

I don't understand your doctor wanting to wait 6 weeks between gallbladder attacks. You might want to get a second opinion. Most of them want to get it out as soon as possible if it is acting up to keep it from rupturing.

I had mine out 4 years ago after an attack that put me in the emergency room. If I recall correctly, I had the surgery about 10 days after the attack, and I only waited that long because that was the soonest they could work me into the schedule. The surgeon never said anything to me about waiting between attacks. I was able to have it done laparoscopically. It's my understanding that if it ruptures, you can't.

Only problem with having kids is that I had a tubal ligation at the same time They can do it without making any extra incisions.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:56 PM   #12  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

I too am wondering why your doc wants to wait 6 weeks. I had mine removed years ago but dealt with the pain for years because they kept diagnosing it as an ulcer. It didn't matter what I ate, anything could possibly set it off. About 6 years after my last attack (it went dormant) I had stew for dinner and had that feeling come back. I thought for sure that it couldn't be. But 5 months later it was full blown and man did it hurt. I put off going to the doctor as long as possible until I ended up at the emergency room. They removed my gallbladder 5 days later because I had jaundice and pancreaitis (sp?) brought on by the gallstones. They wouldn't open me up until that was resolved.

My DD starting having the same thing when she was 14 and the doctors thought it was all in her head because of her age. We went from doctor to doctor before one said it sounds like gallstones. And that is what I mentioned to every doctor she went to. They did an ultra sound and scheduled the surgery. At the age of 15 she had her gallbladder removed. With her too it didn't matter what she ate.

DS#1 had one attack one night a few years ago and acted like he was dying. Went to the emergency room and three days later they took his out.

I've not had any problems since with anything I eat and it's been 12 years. DD hasn't had any problems since she had hers removed 8 years ago but DS...he has to be careful what he eats. Him and my SIL are one who has had stomach problems since they had the surgery.

I have read too that a person can still get gallstones even though they have had their gallbladder removed although rare. And the surgeon who removed DD's said it is actually caused by a virus and not by foods eaten or stress as they once believed. So who knows...I too think each person is different so what is good for one may not be good for another.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:17 PM   #13  

Wow, that's interesting. I actually did a Gallbladder and liver cleanse, and got a fist full of stones at the end of it, but I think my efforts were far too late, I think my gallbladder is just too far gone. Made me mad because I consumed nothing but 1 gallon of steam distilled water and 1 gallon of apple juice for 4 days, but on the night of the 3rd day I took: 1/2 cup of Olive oil, and chased it with 1/4 cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice...not yummy at all...
One thing I'll say is that it worked, and that I felt like a million bucks after, and actually still do!! I have more energy, and just have a feeling of well being. I really went into it with a half way negative attitude as well, sure it would work for others but not me....Boy was I wrong. I only wish I'd have found it about a year ago...
Thanks for writing!
Shannon
Old 02-05-2007, 12:19 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 287/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5.5"

You are really gutsy to do that gallblaldder cleanse~that could have missed you up especially if a stone was to get lodged in your common bile duct resulting in a back log of bile into your pancreas.

I know about the gallbladder fun~dealt with mine for years.....only really had issues a few times. What sent me over the edge was the 3 attacks in 3 weeks~all for my favorite Mexican food.

After the 3rd attack I went to the Dr and had mine removed about a week later.
Initially I did have to deal with the loose stools and such but now 3 years later I can tell you I don't have issues anymore! I did have a medicine bottle full of stones~which I keep up in my medicine cabinet for sentimental reasons.
I wouldn't wait~if you have a serious attack they will have to do emergency surgery and you can forget about doing it thru the laproscope!
Good luck to ya!!
mgf~
MyGirlFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:42 AM   #15  

I was desperate when I did the cleanse, I SO hoped it would rid me of my problem..but alas, no way. It did make me feel fantastic though!

I do not have a choice when my surgery is, it's completely up to the surgeon. If it were up to me I'd have had it done at Christmas!! This it totally screwing up my plans, and life in general, It's all wayyyyy too close to going away ( going to Florida/Disney April 1st). I've been forced to eat more carbs that I'd like for lack of foods that do not bother me. I am ALWAYS aware of my gallbladder and terrified of another attack because now if i get it done the "old fashioned-cut-a-huge-hole-in-my-abdominal-wall-way" it will take so much longer to heal up and I want to be able to get back to exercising as soon as possible...
Naw, if only I could just walk in and say I want the surgery now....that would have been sooooooooo nice....I hate this waiting game. Feb 22 is when I get it done, sigh...
At least it will be done.
Shannon