Old 02-20-2010, 10:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/230/155

Height: 5'5"

Default Weight Watchers without the meetings

Ok, so here is how I HOPED to work weight watchers and was hoping for input and advise.
My Mother-in-law joined weight watcher and I was kinda planing to just ride the coat tails due to lack of money. What I mean by this is Iplan to follow the program through their products (ie. scales calculaters ect.) But cant really afford the perks (meetings, ww online ect) Has anyone else tried this? was it successful?
RockerMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:21 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

This is just what I've been doing. I have my mom's really old WW points system and have been successful without the meetings or really ever having "proper" WW info.
While I do think you need to find another mode of support, i'm convinced you can do it without the meetings
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:36 AM   #3  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

That's exactly what I've been doing, too, for the past seven months. I had done WW before years ago, so I already knew the basic principles of how it worked and counting points.

ducky is right though, while you don't need to go to any meetings, it works better if you have a support system. I've found that here on this message board.
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 240/230/155

Thanks girls! I am sure I have found a great support sysytem on this site
RockerMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 245/245/175

Height: 5'6''

That is what I am doing right now. I personally think that the meeting are there for questions and support. Well you can always have your Mother-in-law ask the questions for you and you have support right here.
Robinegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: sw-162/gw-147

Height: 5'6

Hi Rocker Mom,

Like you, I didn’t have the time or money to go to the meetings or join on line so I decided to try it on my own. I lost 22lbs last year doing weight watchers at home.
All I needed was the starter book and the point’s calculator and I was on my way.
What helped me was having someone else to do it with, so I convinced my co-worker to try it with me and I must say “it worked for both of us”. Unfortunately I gained 12lbs which I am currently trying to lose. Today is my 4th day going back to doing W.W. Since starting on Monday, I’ve lost 2lbs so far. I think it will also work for you if you put your time and effort into it. Having your mother doing it with you is a huge plus and I think having joined this site will also help you in achieving your goal.
Stay within your point range and I guarantee you, YOU WILL SEE RESULTS!!
I’ve now challenged 3 other co-workers to do it with me and now I am challenging you. Try it, you have nothing to lose but those pounds..
Good luck!!!
Latinhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:09 PM   #7  

S/C/G: sw-162/gw-147

Height: 5'6

Does anyone know how I can add a weight loss ticker to my profile?
Latinhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 226/156/155

Height: 5'6"

Hi RockerMommy. I lost 60 lbs. doing what you describe back in 2002. I did have experience from going to meetings, though, so I knew the program. I always tell people who have never done WW that they should go to a few meetings to get to know the program. However, I think people can still be successful following the program without the meetings.

(Got down to 196 that time, then 30 lbs found me again, now I've removed that plus 20 more!)
mareneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:43 PM   #9  
RAGB

S/C/G: 230/230/170

Default Weight-tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinhoney View Post
Does anyone know how I can add a weight loss ticker to my profile?
Sorry, I am new here, too, and am not allowed to send you the URL. I found it through Google.

The adress is:
3fatchicks.com/
diet/
weight-tracker
Hope this helps.
ragbus
ragbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:48 PM   #10  
RAGB

S/C/G: 230/230/170

Default You can follow the WW program without going to the meetings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerMommy View Post
Ok, so here is how I HOPED to work weight watchers and was hoping for input and advise.
My Mother-in-law joined weight watcher and I was kinda planing to just ride the coat tails due to lack of money. What I mean by this is Iplan to follow the program through their products (ie. scales calculaters ect.) But cant really afford the perks (meetings, ww online ect) Has anyone else tried this? was it successful?
Hi RockerMommy

Sure you can lose weight on the WW program without going to the meetings! As long as you have the plan and know how to calculate the points, etc, there is no problem.

I have done it before and had no problems, whatsoever!

I must admit, though, that I hated going to the meetings...

Good luck!
r.
ragbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 185.2/163/135

Height: 5'4"

I am also doing the program at home. My mom joined about a year ago and is currently at her goal weight and maintaining. She gave me all of her materials and I have (so far) been successful. I've only been on the program for 3 weeks but have lost 8 lbs. as of today. My mom, husband, and aunt all call me after my weigh in to see how I have done for the week, so support is definitely the key... for me at least. There is soooo much free information out there without joining and paying. I absolutely believe you can be successful, as long as you stick to it and don't give up!
Amandanrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:38 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 227/212/135

Height: 5' 5"

I lost 50 pounds on WW in 2007 and I never went to meetings. I just bought an at home kit and got support from WW's website.
spoiltmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:05 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Three years ago I lost 110 pounds by counting WW points and didn't go to a single meeting. I had done WW a few years before so I knew how it basically worked. I was really flexible with the points (for example, I frequently just estimated that 50 cal = 1 point instead of using my slide or looking up the point value or any of that) and it still worked.

Of course, then I had a baby and gained back 80 pounds, so now I have to lose weight all over again and I'm seriously struggling! I know WHAT to do, of course -- I just can't seem to force myself to do it!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #14  
Stay Focused & Committed

S/C/G: 237/205/184

Height: 5" 5.5

It's good to see that so many have been successful without going to meetings. I have joined and re-joined so many times but have never reached my goal. This time I decided that I want to try it on my own too. I have all the materials and I know the program so I just need to work it. I will use this site for accountability and motivation.
GettinFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 185/151/135

I lost most of my weight with the method you are using. I initially went to meetings, hated them, and went the online route. I realized after a few months that I really didn't need what I was paying $18 a month for.

I have a few sites that are hugely helpful to me and a wealth of resource. I know we can't post links here, but you can PM me if you need them.

There are even free points calculators online. Say if you have nutritional information for a recipe and need to know the points, you can plug into one of the calculators and it will spit out the points. Of course, you have to be sure the nutritional information is correct to begin with. Just google free weight loss calculator.
jillfiredup is offline   Reply With Quote