Setting my goal scientifically

• I have just finished my first 16-week weight record since I started back on WW at the beginning of February. I am doing Momentum/points, not points plus (just not telling my leader that). I started WW in August of 2010 after an unfortunate picture of me went up on the local newspaper's website--I had gotten hit by a baseball at a Syracuse Chief's game and the photographer took a picture of me crying in pain, clutching the ball, and looking really FAT. So I rejoined WW (had done it years before) and decided it was time to get off my post quitting smoking weight gain. I did Momentum, lost 25 pounds, then they changed to Points Plus. That didn't work for me (I gave it 6 months). I switched back to points, and did get some weight off, but basically I was fighting the same 5 pounds over and over. Economic circumstances made me drop out for 5 months, then I started again in February.

For the first time, I noticed they had a graph on the back of the Weight tracker and decided to use it. In 16 weeks I have lost 9.2 pounds. Better than I thought. But when doing the calculations, that means I lose only .575 pounds a week, average.

I am supposed to lose another 51 pounds to get to WW goal. I would be happy to lose just 40. But I need to stop playing around and get serious. I haven't really lost any serious weight since Points Plus was initiated in December of 2010.

I have decided to be realistic, and admit that 20 pounds more by the end of the year (32 weeks x .575) is probably the best goal for me. I've read some posts on the PCOS board, and it stuck in my head that one lady said she can only realistically lose 10 pounds a year (I also have PCOS). I want to do better than that, but I need to not get unrealistic hopes up. These last two weeks I have started to experiment with varying what I eat to see what works. I know that sounds like a "duh" but I'm trying to be more methodical this time.

I have had two acquantences die recently. They were about my age. They both probably could have lived much longer if they had been willing to give up the smoking and watch their weight. In a way, I am almost angry with them. They deprived their family and friends of their joyful presence because they refused to do what was necessary to take care of their health. I don't want to be like that. Its selfish. And weak. I want to be strong and conquer those demons.

I want to find a way to eat that will last a lifetime. I am screaming up on being 60, and I want to be healthy and alive as long as possible. My genes will probably get me to 80 years old or better, if I dont' screw it up by bad diet and habits.

Why am I telling you all this? I guess just to have it in writing; to have a commitment in public. To affirm that I am going to take this seriously.

Thanks for listening.
  • We are here to listen and tell you that you have come to the right place and you are not alone! Welcome, and cheers to you for quitting smoking, because I think that's probably harder than any weight loss stuff. I don't know that personally, just from people I've seen quit it looked so hard and miserable. If you can do that, you can do this!
  • I'm not on WW, but... YOU GO! And AMEN!

And I'm with you on 'dying early and depriving your family of you... being selfish.' I plan to tell my father in law this. LOL.
  • madamw would you like to support each other? i also have bout 50 lbs to go and have pcos. have you tried papaya and safflower? They are working for me very nicely whiloe being on plan and exercise of course.

• Goals become more real when you write them, and when you tell other about them.

Good luck to you!