Old 08-01-2008, 10:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/tickers/127

Height: 5'

Default Questions about portions...

Okay, so one thing has puzzled me a little, and that's figuring out how much of certain things equals 1portion, compared to how WW tallies the points...for the sake of the healthy guidelines.

The big area where I have questions is fruits & vegetables. The guidelines explanation says 1/2 cup = 1 serving. I imagine one whole medium apple, orange, peach, plum, etc would be one serving. But I thought I read a long time ago that 1/2 banana is one serving of fruit (though the points are given for 1 whole banana). And what about berries, cherries or melon?

It's just a little confusing because the food companion will give you the points for, say, 1-1/2 cups of strawberries or 1 cup of cherries. But is that then 1 SERVING or 2 (for the healthy guidelines)?

Thanks!

luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:26 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

I think in the book for points values it tends to give you the MAX you can eat for 1 point when it comes to berries and other fruits. Hence why you see 1 1/2c of strawberries being 1 point, but a serving size may be fewer. Here is the official word on serving sizes:

http://www.5aday.org/html/consumers/serving.php

So if you eat a serving size of strawberries (1/2 c), you do not need to count it for points. This is how I have always interpreted that. I understand your confusion!
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:29 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/tickers/127

Height: 5'

Thanks, Jaime!!

It's funny that I sometimes have a hard time getting the fruits & veggies in. 1/2 cup of a fruit or veggie is really nothing.

luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:36 AM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

Especially if you have a salad at all during the day, that's usually the majority of your requirements right there!
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote