Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 09:05 AM   #16  
live. love. travel.

S/C/G: 298/168/145

Height: 5'4"

I, too, have been absent. I'm trying my absolute best to keep on track. I had to stop doing point shifting because I noticed a trend in my last few weeks of weigh ins. I have just been playing around with the same two pounds. I finally made it to the 170's but then the next week I was back to the 180's. My body is adjusting to this new weight (like it did 20 pounds ago which made me start point shifting) and I need to break it out of the cycle. I changed my breakfast (3 cups of melon instead of cereal with milk and blueberries) and started having different lunches than what I am "used" to. Hopefully I will break through this most recent plateau and continue to lose.

Jaime - Your blog post makes me so angry! Not at you, just at the insensitive in the world. I hope the guys in the Byward Market in Ottawa ended up spilling beer (brewskies, bro!) all over their favourite popped collar shirt, aviator sunglasses and jelled hair that night. As for the guy shouting at you while you were running... Don't let that guy get to you. We've all been there--all of us--and I know I can speak for everyone when I say I know exactly how you feel. It's horrifying to know you work so hard only to have one jerk break you down in a split second with some wreckless words or a foul glance. It sucks! Accept that it sucks, accept that some people are just awful and remind yourself that you're better than that person because you don't walk around with your nose in the air thinking everything in life comes easy and you're entitled to judge and publicly bash others. Your whole blog post was heartbreaking for me since I've been there hundreds of times--but I'm still going. And so are you. And you're going to go out tonight and run. That jerk is not going to slow you down.

Chey - Congrats on the 16's!! That's so awesome. I grinned from ear to ear. I feel your frustrations of not being able to plan a wardrobe. Any updates on the crew from work who all seemed so gung-ho to join WW?

Stephanie - Your trip to Chicago sounds amazing. I have such a soft spot for the city. I lived there for one year (downtown at State and Erie) and have gone back to visit many times since I have left. The pizza there is incredible, isn't it? Whoever says NY pizza is better than Chicago pizza needs to get their head checked.

Faerie - I would love to hear all about your trip to India. India is high on my list of places I want to go. My ideal situation would involve taking 5-7 weeks off work (6 being ideal) to backpack around the country and take in as much as I can. I would also like to go alone. How did you do it and what was your reason for going?

=============================

It's been a whirlwind adventure for me for the past few weeks. I went to Alberta, Canada, to visit my best friend. It was great to see him again and we even took a side trip to the rockies to visit another good friend of ours. This weekend, my BF and I are leaving work early on Friday to drive to VA to see the John Butler Trio. We have to drive back immediately after the show is over so we can go home, take a nap and then be at the Philly airport by 6 AM for our 7 AM flight to Houston! Whew! We're flying to Houston to see his favourite band, Nine Inch Nails, and also to check out the area a little bit. I've never been to Texas and I already have plans to get some delicious Tex-Mex food. It doesn't so much fit into my plan, per se, but it's a one time thing and I don't want to deprive myself of it. Then the following weekend, I'm flying to Columbia, SC, to surprise my sister for her 30th birthday celebration. She has no idea I'm coming--I've been in cohoots with friends of hers to orchestrate my airport pick-up. The weekend after that, my BF and I are heading to my hometown in Nova Scotia, Canada, for the Labor Day weekend. I'd like to say things will slow down after that but we have plans to go camping in September, a Phillies game, two more shows (Matt Nathanson and Of Montreal [different weekend nights] and a crazy night with a soap box derby. I am going to need a lot of strength to stay on track through all of this without blowing it.

Last edited by sunshower; 08-13-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:16 AM   #17  

Height: 5'7"

LeeAnne - Good for you being so aware of your weight trends, and being proactive about changing it. A lot of people give up, you know, and look at everything you are doing! Hopefully shaking up your food intake will help. What about exercise? Maybe your body is used to that routine too, and needs a break? Thanks for the kind words about what happened the other night (and what happened so many years ago…) Some people are just so terrible to others, and part of what upsets me so much is that I cannot identify with them, empathize, understand… It’s so beyond me that people would be so nasty to each other, but judging by the feedback I’ve received from that post, it happens often! I just don’t understand it! I think I am pretty well over it, though. I am going to convince myself to get out there tonight, I’m due for another run. Idiots be damned, this is about me and not him.

Wow, look at all of those activities you have planned! It sounds like fun but exhausting to no end. I hope you have fun at the show Friday, Wolf Trap is a gorgeous venue. Last time I was there I saw a production of Oklahoma! with my dad, it was campy cheesy fun Enjoy everything, it sounds like great fun!

Faerie - Bravo for getting back into a routine. I’m sure you’ll feel better about it in no time. I find being in a routine again is very comfortable and things will just start to feel like second nature again. Keep us posted!

Chey - Thanks for the kind words Good for you setting boundaries with people even though they need you and your important self They have to know that you come first in your book, you need those breaks and you gotta fuel your body to run around helping people with their passwords! Is the busy-ness temporary start-of-school sort of stuff or do you expect it to continue?

Well, I'm not sure how much I've posted around here on our living situation... basically the landlord wants us out ASAP so he can find someone willing to sign a year-long lease (we are month-to-month). Since students are filing back into town it'd be good for him if we could vacate soon. We aren't legally obligated to get out til Oct 1 but if we can move, we might as well.

Anyway, we decided to move to D.C. to be closer to my sister who is about to pop with child #2, and to be in a place where DH has a good shot at finding an academic job and I have a good shot of career advancement once I choose to leave here. We were all set, we found a couple of places we were interested in. Then DH goes online and looks at reviews of these places which are all seemingly nice places... And they all talk about mice, roaches, and ... bedbugs. *shudder* Mice I think I could handle. Roaches are gross but they mind their own business most of the time. Bedbugs... freaking YUCK. So we started having doubts about these places we were going be applying for... Then we looked back at the budget to see if we could afford a nicer place... And started getting financial cold feet even thinking about all of the extra expenses of moving to DC.

So last night we started talking about staying here in Charlottesville but moving to a new apartment. At least we'd be comfortable money-wise, but there are lots of logistical problems with it - like if he gets an interview in DC he'll have to take the Greyhound up, if he gets a job I guess he'll have to get a place there while I'm still in Cville. I just don't know what to do, and it's really stressing me out! I am trying not to drown my worries in sugar and simple carbs but it gets tough.

Ugh. That was long But that's what I'm dealing with... I am pressured by my sister & Leo's potential job situation to move to DC, but both Leo and I (and our money) says to stay in Charlottesville. It's a tough call. Blah!
Old 08-13-2008, 01:18 PM   #18  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Well Hello ladies.... Hope I can join you in here!
Old 08-13-2008, 02:08 PM   #19  

For sure, Courtnie, jump on in
Old 08-13-2008, 08:10 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 250/199/150

Well I'm going to jump on in too .

I've not been following my points at all and the scale is really letting me know. I'm not gaining because I'm exercising more than I used to...but imagine how much I could have lost by now if I'd been eating right along with my exercise the last 6 weeks! OY! Oh well...tomorrow is a new day. Maybe tonight I'll finish off the ice cream so I can't eat it tomorrow . Just kidding...mostly.

Here's to a great Thursday!!
Old 08-13-2008, 10:05 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 262/ See Ticker / 150

Height: 5' 4"

LeeAnne - I have been wondering lately about forced plateau's. Kinda like working on a maintenance for a time and then re-starting. Don't get me wrong, I like the weight loss, but with all that I have been reading about people flirting with a couple pounds here and there each week I am just wondering about that. Getting the body used to a certain amount of food/exercise enough to maintain a weight for a time and then work on losing again. Not sure about my philosophy for that - just a curiosity I guess. I am finding that I am in a rut too as far as what I eat and my routine. I think I need to change things up too.

As far as the 'group' at work. We haven't gotten together to walk yet but we are all eating lunch together and kinda having mini-meetings while we eat each day.. lol. I am not sure how serious a couple of them are, but that is ok - it is a start. No one is reporting losses, but they ask me each week.

A couple of others came into work early today to get their rooms ready and saw me in the hallway and they were shocked. They haven't seen me since the end of May - made me feel really good. One had said she had heard I had lost a lot of weight, so I must be the talk of the town among staff.

Sounds like you have a some wild nights planned! 9 inch nails!!! The Line Begins to Blur is one of my favorites. Very strong message - wish I had heard it when I was younger and thought I had to lose myself to please others.

Jamie - yeah, this is just the start of the hectic chaotic time. It is actually starting early - it will typically end after Thanksgiving.

I would be totally stressed out about moving with that uncertainty. Especially if your landlord is pushing you guys out. You would think he would like the fact that he has guaranteed rent for when you are there. Cost of living in DC, from what I hear, is terrible though. Your DH would have to have a pretty good job to tide the two of you over until you became employed. But.. there is always a but isn't there? You two are young and don't have children yet, so if you were to decide to move it would be a good time. Decisions, decisions.

sotypical and maqz - jump in anytime. Sometimes we get pretty chatty and it is hard to catch up with everyone, but no one takes offense if you miss commenting on something.. I know I have a time or two, three.. lol

Last edited by Chey; 08-13-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:21 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 254/183/136

Jaimie,

Wow! so many decisions to make. My husband and I decided to move to S.Fla 10 years ago on a whim. I had a job but we knew no-one. We lived in a 3 mo rental when we first moved. We lived on a wing and a prayer. But I am doing the work I have always wanted to do and making some kind of difference in the world (I hope). So follow your dreams, nothing is reversable and Charlottesville will always be there as a back up.

Just 2 cents from a non-risk taker that took a risk. I hope I am not being too pushy! Good luck with whatever decision you make.

-Phil
Old 08-14-2008, 09:17 AM   #23  
live. love. travel.

Jaime - Thanks for the props. I've come too far to be a sitting duck and hope for the best without actually doing something about it. I also have no problem switching up what I eat since I love trying and preparing new things. You asked about switching up my exercise--while you're right that I should be switching it, I should tell you I already am! Haha. Excellent suggestion if I wasn't, though. I switch my workout every 4 weeks including the way I do cardio. I've noticed a trend with my body, though, that I hit a plateau for a few weeks every 20 pounds so I think this is frustratingly natural to me and I just have to make a change to break out of it like I have done before. I got a bunch of new fall clothes at Anthropologie (first time I was ever able to shop there!) and told myself that I'm not allowed to wear them until I see two weeks of loss in a row--meaning it's a true loss. Hopefully the cute outfits in my closet will speak to my body and send messages of loss. I've never been to Wolf Trap but I'm really looking forward to it. I absolutely love John Butler Trio. About your housing situation, I would move to a new city. Don't take my advice, though... I've had 18 addresses in the past 4 years. Hahaha.

Courtnie - Welcome! Another Canadian! I'm a transplant to Philly but I only recently moved here. I miss the mother land.

Magz - Welcome to you as well!

Chey - I sort of understand what you mean about forced plateaus. I was thinking just last week that I might force myself to maintain over the holidays this year instead of focusing on a loss. Maintenance would give me a little breathing room and also set me up for no losses and no gains which, if you're expecting it, is much less stressful than trying to lose and gaining instead. Hopefully that makes sense. I've been at this for a long time and, for me, it's not just about losing weight. It's about living life, living with my decisions and being healthy. I don't like the word regret so I don't want to create any for myself. With your group at work, do you feel like suggesting a time and day you all get together to walk or do you feel you're better off without them or leaving it up to them? Just curious. They might need another push to get outside as much as they needed a push to be mindful of what they eat. I'm thrilled to see you know some of NIN's music! My favourites are Fragile, We're In This Together Now, Closer (how could you not like Closer? ), In This Twilight and The Hand That Feeds. Looking at the setlists for the past few shows, I think Closer and In This Twilight will be a lock so I'm jazzed about that.

==============

Last week at my WW meeting, a girl in my group was very down on herself for continuing to hang on to some of her baby weight. She gave birth just 8 months ago and is torturing herself over about 10 pounds. I spoke and said, for one thing, she should be proud of herself and her healthy, happy baby instead of feeling weight pressures. I then asked if she was feeling pressured by Hollywood. At first she seemed confused and then I said, "You know, you see it in the magazines all the time. Bikini ready after 3 months! Lost the baby weight in 8 weeks! Flat stomach 2 1/2 months after baby! Do you read those magazines or take note of the stories in the store or on TV?" She thought about it for a minute and decided she was taking in those messages and feeling bad about the fact that she wasn't doing it as fast as them. She decided to avoid the stories as best as she can, think about only herself and try her best this week without being destructive. I'm heading to my meeting at lunchtime and I'm really crossing my fingers for her. I'm also going to tell her about an article I saw on MSNBC that talks about that exact problem with new moms. I couldn't believe my eyes when the article was on the front page of their site on Monday. Maybe there's an MSNBC reporter in my WW group and they stole my idea!! http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26081703/

So, since I am going to my meeting, that means weigh in is today. Everyone cross your fingers for me. I broke into the 170's and then gained 0.8 last week to go back to the 180's. Boo! I'm hoping I will go back down to the 170's today and then go down even more next week. I guess we'll see. Last night for dinner we had grilled apple turkey burgers and they were interesting and delicious! I'd be happy to give the recipe to anyone who wants it. I watched a bit of the Olympics, talked to my Dad on the phone and then crashed by 10 PM. I've been staying up late the past few nights watching the Olympics and I think it caught up to me. Anyone else following the events?
Old 08-14-2008, 09:55 AM   #24  

Magz - You know what you need to do Why finish off that ice cream when it would do you more good in the trash? Take a few minutes to survey your tools - what you have to work with in your home - what is in your fridge and cupboards. Make sure you have set yourself up for success and march forward!

Chey - You have shown them the way, it is up to them to proceed! They should be thanking their lucky stars they have you as an example. About the moving thing, I would still have my current job as we move up to DC, as my company has an office there. So we'd have one definite income but I am still pretty entry-level in my salary. It's still a tough decision. I don't think it would even be an option if NO one had a job if we moved up there.

PhiladelphiaB - You are not being too pushy, don't worry. It is nice to hear others' experiences. I am not a huge risk-taker either... And I feel like moving to DC would be a *huge* risk! Thanks for your thoughts.

LeeAnne - I am loving the fall stuff coming out now. I got a gift certificate to New York & Co a couple months ago and just spent it on some of the new stuff they've brought out, I can't wait to get my shipment. I ordered everything a size smaller than last time I shopped there, which is either motivation or reward since I can't really tell what size I am right now I hope you get to wear your Anthropologie clothes soon!! And 18 addresses in 4 years?? Wow! I am such a homebody compared to that - I got all my desire to move out of my system as a kid in a military family!
Good luck at your WI today, let us know how it goes. We'll be rooting for you.

I peeked at the scale this morning and saw a very surprising thing... there was an 8 in my weight where no 8 existed before. Hmm. Nothing is official till WI day though. I am excited though Oh crud, I just remembered I won't be in town for my regular meeting since we are going to MD tomorrow evening. Hm, I think there is a meeting nearby to my sister's house on Saturday morning, and if I want that 8 to be official I better get my butt over there...

After much discussion, I think we are leaning towards staying in Charlottesville for a little while longer. I don't think we are ready to move to DC just yet - though that time will come soon now that we are focused on our goals. We were pretty directionless financially before so we weren't very disciplined, but with actual goals in mind that can change pretty easily. It's actually kind of fun living frugally, I think - it's a challenge and I like challenges. Sort of simplifies life, too, in a pleasant way. Thinking of things to do that don't cost money. Being creative with gifts instead of just buying the latest DVD or whatever. Spending more time outside. Etc.

Anyhow, I'm out - hope everyone has a great day! It's almost Friday!
Old 08-14-2008, 01:34 PM   #25  
Starting Fresh

WOW you girls write a lot... I dunno how I am every going to keep up with y ou guys!

LeeAnne - a friend of mine lost her baby belly in like 3 weeks! I couldn't believe it! I mean there might of been a tiny one, but it was like gone - all gone! How I envy her! We were at her baby shower and everyone was like "are you sure you just had a baby?" Good luck with your weigh in!

Jamie - I hope to one day be able to live frugally. I am trying! But I have a horrible habit of spending too much money. I am DEFIANTLY trying to make more gifts for xmas this year and limit the amount I spend. I crocheted a baby blanket for a friend (same one mentioned above) and it turned out so nice I decided to do a blanket for my dad, dishrags for everyone and a scarf for my sister and a friend... hope I can have it all done in time for xmas! Yarn can be expensive but better then buying some pointless gift and spending too much money like every other year! I have also started xmas shopping (just a few things) so it is not one big blow all at once! I find eating superfoods expensive but it is my health I guess... so I shouldn't be frugal in that.

But next week we are off to vegas and a concert.... I am sure I will spend too much money! But I have never been to vegas before. I am more concerned about what I will be putting in my mouth! argh - I just want to be back in the 160's and finally reach the 150's... I have been trying for two years! I am hoping superfoods and whole grains will help... trying to cut out white carbs for the most part.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:22 PM   #26  

We signed a lease! Wheeeee!

The new place has hardwood floors, two bedrooms, a balcony, a seasonal pool, a small fitness room with nice machines, and a dishwasher! This is a major upgrade in quality of life for us. Plus we're on the top floor (3rd) so there will be no one stomping around above us, which is what we've lived with for the past two years. It's also not that far away from our current place so moving should be pretty straightforward - except for the packing and unpacking bit

This also means I'll be able to go to my own meeting Saturday, which is comforting. This may sound silly but one of the reasons I really didn't want to move to DC is that I LOVE my current meeting, every single person in it is awesome. I would hate to have to try to find a new one that I like.

Courtnie - I am knitting a baby blanket for my sister's new one and I must get a move on if it's going to be done in time! I think I have two rows complete One way to get cheap yarn if you don't mind doing work is go to goodwill and find a knit sweater made of yarn you like. Carefully unravel it and wind it in a ball at home and there you go! A sweater's worth of yarn for $3 or whatever. I have a number of balls of yarn reclaimed from old sweaters. Hope you have fun in Vegas!
Old 08-14-2008, 03:18 PM   #27  
TBL Blue Team Member!

S/C/G: 294.5/ticker/170

Height: 6'0

Well I'm going to jump on in here and just start talking

This is my first day back OP and I'm feeling better already!

Jaime-Yay on the lease! The new place sounds great!

Courtnie-Have fun in vegas! I know what you mean about trying to be less spendy. I wish I could crochet and try to make something, but I'm not too good at it. My mom just crochet a winter hooded jacket for my son and she did a great job. I'm jealous.

LeeAnn
-Good luck at your WI today! I hope you see the 170's! Yeah I still have my baby weight and my son is almost 2! LoL

Mags-
Old 08-14-2008, 03:39 PM   #28  
live. love. travel.

I lost 1.6!! Woohoo!!! I'm 0.4 pounds away from losing 120 total!! (The little bottom tracker must do rounding).

Jaime - Sexcellent about the 8 in your weight number. You have to get yourself to a meeting soon to make it official. Congrats on signing the lease! Your new place sounds pretty rad. Got any pictures? I love hardwood floors because, oddly enough, I love area rugs.

Jennifer - Good luck with staying OP! Welcome back.

Courtnie - Who are you going to see in Vegas? The best advice I have for you there is to eat at the buffets. The buffets in Vegas are a huge attraction, they're all great and they truly do all have something for everyone. If there's something that you want that you don't see presented, you can usually ask if they have any. Similarly, with fish and chicken dishes, a lot of the sauces and creams are added after the items are cooked right before they're put out on the buffet. When I was in Vegas last August, I had a number of buffet attendants go to the back room and bring me a piece of chicken or fish that didn't have the sauce on it (additional fat, really). Same goes for vegetables. A lot of places didn't seem to mind that I wanted something simply steamed if there were none available. Going to the buffet also allows you to be in control of your portion. Circle around and see what's there. Have a big plate of salad. Then go back and take only reasonable portions of healthy things that you really want. Honestly, it's easier than eating in a restaurant while you're there--not to mention much cheaper!!

Last edited by sunshower; 08-14-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:28 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 250/199/150

I suggested to the girls at work for a long time that we all work together. No one seemed interested. Then someone else suggested it and suddenly we were all walking. LOL Then we started doing some running. Then we all joined the gym. Now we spend at least an hour and a half a day six days a week working out. Sometimes it just takes one little push to get everyone going.

JAIME!!! Throw ice cream in the trash!!!??? OY I think that would make me fall over dead. I’d rather eat one spoonful a day for the rest of forever than see it in the trash . Thankfully ice cream is the only “bad” thing in the house.

Congratulations on the new place! How exciting! I love setting up a new home. Good luck with your meeting!

Courtnie, I know around here you can find good quality baby yarn at the dollar stores. I guess sometimes stores discontinue a certain color so it ends up there. It’s worth looking into! A trick a friend of mine uses is using two strands of yarn. Yes you use more yarn, but if it’s only $1 it’s not a big deal!

Hey, Jennifer! Isn’t it great how one day OP makes us feel so much better?! Makes me wonder why I ever stray .

Great job, LeeAnne!

Baby belly? My kids are 13 and 3. At this point can I still blame it on them?

I think someone stole my log in and signed on as me yesterday. Surely it wasn’t me that said I was going to start counting points again today…was it??!! Sigh. Thankfully even when I’m not counting I’m making decent choices, but I’m SURE I’m going over.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:45 PM   #30  
Starting Fresh

Jamie: The new place sounds fantastic! Congrats!! Good luck with the blanket! Mine took me a while but it was beautiful in the end, I was sooo proud of it! I made it with cotton yarn, took two rolls so cost me $15. (plus I had to buy hooks and books to learn, but that is a forever thing in the end, lol) Picture of it here.

Jennifer: IMO crocheting is easy! That blanket I posted above is my second attempt at crocheting, I crocheted a HUGE granny square when I was 10 or so. So really this is my thing thing in a long time. I just double crocheted over and over (probably the easiest stitch) until I had something the size of a blanket, LOL.

LeeAnne: CONGRATS!!!! We are not seeing anything in Vegas but the same day we get back we are going to see 3 Doors Down!! (with hinder, staind, and econoline crush) so I am pretty excited about that to! Next Thursday we spend a night in Vancouver and then fly down Friday morning, we leave vegas first thing Tuesday and are back around noon and go to the concert that night, spending another night in Vancouver and then come back home on Wednesday.

Magz: Our dollar store only has this fuzzy crap that is good for about nothing! LOL I think I found the yarn I want to do my Dad's blanket with, it is $3 a ball and I wanna use two at once. It will probably use a lot of balls - but even if it takes 10 (maybe it will be more if I am doubling... i really dont know, haha) that is only $30 and I usually spend more then that at christmas anyway! The dishrags I just buy HUGE balls of cotton yarn and cane probably make like 20 or so for $7 - so its not that bad....
Closed Thread