Old 06-09-2008, 05:37 PM   #1  
Blonde Bombshell

S/C/G: 164/133/136

Height: 5'8''

Default possessive over food..is this normal?

I moved back in with my parents after I graduated college, and am now living there while I work on my Masters degree. I am the only one in the house doing Weight Watchers, which isn't usually a problem, since I eat at weird hours anyways. My parents sometimes buy my groceries, but the majority of the time, I buy my own "diet food" (as they call it.) I have a specific shelf in the pantry, drawer in the refrigerator, and drawer in the freezer for my WW foods, and other healthy foods I buy. My little sister, who is a twig, basically has candy stashed all over her room, cookies/cakes/etc in the pantry, ice cream tubs in the freezer...you get the picture.

Well, what do you know...after purchasing 2 boxes of smartones (that is FOUR ice cream treats) and HIDING them in the freezer, I go in there today to get one..and there are NONE. ZERO. She ate them ALL. She had to dig underneath my Boca burgers, edamame, Lean Cuisines, etc..to get my ice cream treats. She ignored the 5 tubs of ice cream and boxes of eclairs in the freezer, and ate all of my food instead.

Is it normal for me to be upset about this? I was very angry with her today..I didn't feel like she had a right to do that..and no it wasn't labeled, but it was obviously mine, since it was in my drawer, and HIDDEN! I felt that it was very inconsiderate of her to do. I just wondered if anybody else ever has this problem, with siblings, roommates, etc....
KatieLeighVOLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:50 PM   #2  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

I totally understand how you feel, and I think it is normal. I think you need to be honest with your sister about how you feel, and why it upsets you.
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 270/246/170

Height: 5'6"

Oh, I know exactly how you feel. I'd get very upset if that happened to me. I am not usually as upset if they ask, but to just take is too much for me! I'd have a conversation with her about it to make sure she understands what it does to you!
lala229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:15 PM   #4  

Nothing wrong with being upset. I have the same problem, only its my 91 year old MIL. She's a junk food, sugar junkie and will pig out on her stuff. Then my stuff will start to disappear. I didn't know a little old lady could eat so much. I've learned to hide some stuff in my office.

One time I walked in the kitchen to find she had three of my peanut butter bliss bars in her pocket. I took them back and once again explained to her how expensive they are and to please stay out of the Weight Watchers stuff.

I know she's eating better since she moved in with us because she has gained 5 lbs.
kahnfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 337/ticker/320

Height: 5'7

Yes, you do need to let her know, that your food has to be there when you go for it. Not to mention, "diet food" is alot more money, and you need her to respect this, also is it possible to get your parent's help in enforcing this with your sis?

Maybe you do need to label some of the yummy treats, my son does not like most of my "diet foods" but I do have to ask him to not each those 1pt hostess cupcakes, he could down a whole box in no time. So setting some rules are sometimes needed. Good Luck, maybe she will surprise you, and it will go off without a hitch!
Institches21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:19 PM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

You have every right to be upset.

No need to yell or anything, but it's a good idea to remind her that you buy that food for yourself with your own money & out of your own pocket. And it's rude to take it without asking.

Next, label it. I know it's annoying, but if you mark it with a sharpie, she may be "reminded" that unless she's buying it for herself, it's not right for her to take it.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

An easy way to label might be to buy sheets of red dots to stick on your foods or put a big red X with a Sharpie.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 06-09-2008 at 07:16 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:57 PM   #8  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

Height: 5'6

honestly ... i think its good that shes also getting into the grove of being healthy BUT she had no right to eat alllll of your treats , damn thats greedy knowing that your trying to lose weight and she dosent need to you would have thought that she may eat one of your treats occasionaly but thats just mean !
CHUNKEY_MUNKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:12 PM   #9  

My biggest problem with this is that when someone in my house eats "my stuff", it screws up my plans. I buy a bag or two of mini rice cakes each week to snack on, so that I don't eat the chocolate, cookies, etc. they have. So, if they eat all my stuff, I don't have a lot of options for snacking. I like being able to just grab something I already know the points on and foods that don't cause me to binge.

I agree, let her know these are expensive and if she has 1 -- please let you know so you/she can replace it.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:21 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 262/ See Ticker / 150

Height: 5' 4"

The other option is to purchase an apartment size fridge or one of those dorm refrigerators. They have small freezers on top. 4 boxes of the WW desserts and a couple of WW dinners could fit in one. You could put it in your room. They are very efficient energy ratings so they aren't very expensive to run. The one we purchased for our son who is in college was about $100. They also have small freezers too.
Chey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 241.5/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Oh man! I hope it's normal! I just about wet my pants reading this because, aside from that Masters degree part, I could have written it myself. When I lived at home, I labeled all my stuff with fluorescent orange stickers all over the containers. Did that stop the diet food thieves? Not a chance! I cried and complained and carried on for ages since being rational didn't seem to work. Well, it never changed as long as I lived there. Now my husband is not quite as bad, but he will occasionally swipe my "good" stuff. I have to specifically tell him what he can and cannot have, and he does try, but Lord help him if he ever takes my last WW fudge bar!
auntie g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:43 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 220/tickers/127

Height: 5'

I think it's perfectly understandable. As she has her own food stashed all over, I'm assuming she isn't a little kid and is old enough to handle a kind, but firm talk about it. It is wrong of her to go in and just take your food, and it does need to be addressed.

For one thing, these lower calorie foods are EXPENSIVE. Seriously, that 4 pack of WW frozen desserts goes for $4-something - $5-something around here. CRAZY compared to the $2.50 it costs for a 12-pack of regular ice cream sandwiches, kwim?

I know the other issue is that these products help us stay on track better. Either they're portioned out for us, as is the case with any WW snacks, or 100calorie packs, or it's just easy for us to remember just how many of something are worth how many points.

My own issue here was one that was partly brought on by me. Our family loves cheese, and loves Triscuits...not even always put together. So if there is an 8 oz package of hard cheese, whether it's lower fat or not, it gets eaten, mostly by my kids. If there's a box of Triscuits, whether they're the reduced fat ones or not, they'll disappear. It was partly brought on by me because I was only getting one package at a time, of just the reduced-fat stuff. I was doing that because I figured we'd all share. What I forgot about was the appetite of a 12 year-old boy who is entering puberty, lol. Rather than everyone just having some, there have been times when he's broken out the cheese or the Triscuits, and between he and our 4 y/o daughter, they've just completely VANISHED!

I'm trying to remember to get "mine" and "theirs" packages, or to at least double up on the quantities of what I get. After all, the lower-fat options are better for all of us! If I have enough, our son is pretty good about eating the "theirs."

I agree about either labeling...maybe even try fluorescent stickers or tape...wrapped all around the boxes, or even better, getting yourself a small chest freezer or apartment-sized (smaller than a regular kitchen fridge/freezer, but bigger than those dorm room ones, to accomodate all the frozen foods). I think chest freezers come with locks on them . That require keys to open. If talking to your sister doesn't help, this might be your best option. She obviously either doesn't "get" how important it is for you to have these resources on hand, or she has absolute disregard for your space and property...since you said these were the part of the freezer designated for YOUR diet stuff and she has ample goodies at hand.

Good luck!

Last edited by luvmyfam; 06-10-2008 at 08:54 AM.
luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:25 PM   #13  
Blonde Bombshell

S/C/G: 164/133/136

Height: 5'8''

thank yall SO much for understanding!!!! I knew I wasn't totally crazy
KatieLeighVOLS is offline   Reply With Quote