Old 05-18-2008, 09:20 AM   #1  
on my way to satisfaction

S/C/G: 245/230/160

Height: 5'6"

Unhappy I gave in and now i feel Horrible!!

OK since ihave been having these issues with gaining weight, i have been so upset and just down right confused. Last night the soon to be hubby(we are down to 12 days now) took me to smokey bones to meet with his best man in the wedding and his wife.

I TOTALLY Gave up last night and i ate and ate and ate because i was so MAD about how things have been going. I mean i have been so strict on WW it is not funny. Not one extra crumb goes in my mouth. But last night it all did. I had 1/2 rack of Baby Back Ribs, Smoked Turkey (white meat),Mashed Potatoes and Broccoli with a diet coke and then i had some bites of the seven layer chocolate cake with ice cream..

WHAT A FAILURE. Now to day i feel like crap, my stomach feels like it is going to explode and it is a horrible feeling. I could Kick myself in the A** for doing that.

Sorry to ramble, had to vent..
THanks all!!
Shannon1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:48 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

oh, shannon it's OK!! Honestly!

believe me, I've posted here before with similar feelings, and was reminded by the wise folks around here that FAILURE is not the point!! You had a small setback. Frankly, the foods you listed don't even sound that terrible to me!
but that's beside the point. treating yourself with such hatred and unforgiveness isn't going to help. So, you ate more that your points allowed last night (if it makes you feel any better, I just logged my foods from yesterday and ate 55 pts...my daily target is 20). No big thing. You'll move on. I forgive you, now can you forgive yourself??

Glad you came to post, Shannon. It can be so helpful to get this stuff off your chest. Just please, please try to be gentle with yourself!

You know, I've been thinking lately about that phrase, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you," and who doesn't agree with that, right? But I think a lot of us need to kind of invert it or reverse it (perhaps Jaime, the English major, can help me out here??), and treat ourselves as we would treat others. In other words, I'm sure you would not beat up someone else for having eaten turkey and potatoes, but you sure are mad at you. And kind of a mean mad, at that -- wanting to kick yourself and calling yourself a failure!! Would you do that to a friend? I hope not! You see what I mean? Be a friend to yourself!!

OK, I'm done now...except one more
S
shrinkinglizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:01 AM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

A couple bites of 7-layer chocolate cake? I think that's a victory right there, that you didn't eat an entire one yourself! I agree with everything lizzy said, what you ate last night will not determine the course of your entire WL journey. It's one night, forgive yourself, move on. Sometimes we need an occasional "let loose" night in order to make this livable - a lot of people have "free" days occasionally so they can treat themselves without worrying too much.

But yes - to echo was lizzy said - be a friend to yourself. Forgive yourself and move on. It's the bigger picture that counts, not one meal.

And congrats on the upcoming wedding, too!!
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:57 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 262/ See Ticker / 150

Height: 5' 4"

((((((Shannon))))))

You are so hard on yourself and you don't need to be! I echo what shrink and suite have said. And - remember, that is only one day. You have had a rough week, but you have made it through to start another. Yesterday was ONE day.

I have had to go through some medical tests recently and a few of those test were terribly unpleasant. So much so, that I almost talked myself out of doing them. Yeah - that horrid. But --- this is what I did to get through those... I told myself that what I had to do was just 2 hours out of my day. Or - this one test.. just 1 day out of the week which translated into 1 day out of the year. Sure, it was going to be unpleasant, but the next day it would be over and I wouldn't have to deal with it again. THAT was what got me through it.

Now, try and translate that to you. Yesterday was ONE day and you have 364 more days that will be much more pleasant that what you are beating yourself up for! Girl - YOU can do this. I see the same thing in your post as far as feeling like a failure as I was facing with my tests.

Just think - a month from now, you can look at this past week and realize how awesome you were to make it through! Sure it was tough, and you faced some challenges - BUT YOU MADE IT THROUGH! How awesome is that going to be? Leave yesterday in the dust... heck - if you want to leave the whole week there too...
Chey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:14 AM   #5  
Soon2BFit

S/C/G: 246.2/See Ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkinglizzy View Post
oh, shannon it's OK!! Honestly!

You know, I've been thinking lately about that phrase, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you," and who doesn't agree with that, right? But I think a lot of us need to kind of invert it or reverse it (perhaps Jaime, the English major, can help me out here??), and treat ourselves as we would treat others. In other words, I'm sure you would not beat up someone else for having eaten turkey and potatoes, but you sure are mad at you. And kind of a mean mad, at that -- wanting to kick yourself and calling yourself a failure!! Would you do that to a friend? I hope not! You see what I mean? Be a friend to yourself!!
Shannon, don't do that to yourself, the sooner you forgive yourself, the sooner you can get back on track. I was also looking at the things you ate, it doesn't even seem bad. You're okay.

I totally agree with Lizzy, we have a saying at our meeting; be as kind to yourself as you are to others. You wouldn't put a friend down because of the same things you have done. Use positive self-talk, don't put yourself down.

Wishing You All The Best
GR8 2B48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

I agree with everyone else... you're being way too hard on yourself.

Today is a new day. This moment, a new moment. Dust yourself off and move on.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:10 PM   #7  

Thanks all for the kind words. i guess i feel i have to be super hard on myself to succeed in what i am doing when it comes to weight loss. Does that make sense. I feel that if i dont lay down the law with myself i never will and that i will never get this journey over.
I hope someone understands what i am saying.
and Judy, it did feel great to eat a few bites and say here hunny finish this i dont want it. (that is a big step for me when it come to cake).HAHA
Old 05-18-2008, 06:32 PM   #8  
I'm a loser, baby!

S/C/G: 314/198/155

Height: 5'10"

Get back on now! You might be surprised when you WI next time.....

Sometimes the high calorie days are what you need to get the weight off.
pgray1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:28 PM   #9  

i So hope you are right on that one.. That would be a miracle. I did try on my wedding dress today and it fit alot looser then before. I am starting to think my weight gain is from muscle building up because my butt is smaller for sure and so is my stomach/upper chest.
We will see what happens from here!!
Old 05-18-2008, 08:44 PM   #10  
Made of Starstuff

The scale is a cruel mistress. She doesn't tell the whole story. The fact that you're feeling better, your clothes looser, that's success!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 337/ticker/320

Height: 5'7

You are doing great, one day it not going to ruin all your hard work. How wonderful do you feel that your beautiful dress is looser? Don't let that scale get the best of you.
Institches21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:30 PM   #12  
Kim

S/C/G: 186/161/150

Height: 5'4"

Everyone has such great advice here. I remember watching the Biggest Loser and Bob mentioned that even their contestants have a cheat meal! I was shocked at that!
Paintfancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:33 PM   #13  

hey all,
i feel a little better after last night, since the 30th is the wedding, i decided to try on my dress to make sure all was well with it and it was loose around my top. So even thought i did gain a few pounds i am stating to think it was muscle because i know i lost at least an Inch around my middle for my dress to fit the way it does.
I just had to share that i was so excited.
Thanks all
Old 05-19-2008, 02:48 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Those are for your hard work! Please, don't let that scale ruin you. It's like Faerie says, that thing can give you one piece of information, but really, it's not as though you walk around with your actual numerical weight plastered on your forehead. You don't project that one number. What you do put out there is a healthy attitude and a fit body! That's what people can see, and that is really what I think we're all most interested in. We just happen to be on a program (WW) that encourages weekly weigh-ins, which I think is the one downfall of the program. But, either way, your body is changing!

As for understanding the inclination to be hard on yourself, please, girl, I don't think many of us would claim to forgive ourselves easily. For me, it is a matter of practice, practice, practice, and I do it because I have found that the alternative (beating myself up, degrading myself, abusing myself verbally and emotionally) has not had the desired results. In fact, it leads me to binge out of hopelessness and despair, and I can convince myself that I suck SO much that I don't even deserve good health. If "laying down the law" works for you, then go right ahead. Otherwise, I would advise being kinder to yourself! And don't expect it to come easily, because it doesn't -- we have had years of practice telling ourselves how much we suck, and it's not easy changing those deep habits. But still, I try, and sometimes, it works!

S
shrinkinglizzy is offline   Reply With Quote