Old 05-02-2008, 12:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: way to high/ 150

Unhappy How can I eat so many points

My daily point total is 34, and I am having a hard time reaching it. Today I only ate 18. I just don't understand how eating so much is going to get me to lose weight. Tell me what I am doing wrong.
Breakfast. 2 hard boiled eggs w/ 2 slices ww bread. 2 tbls reduced fat mayo 6 points
Lunch: 2 servings of soup = 4 points
Dinner: pasta salad= 4 points and a turkey patty 5 points.
snack: banana 2 points
coffee with sugar free creamer 2 points.

If I am supposed to eat 34 points then why am I full after 18 or so?
I thought I was supposed to be eating healthier. But with this many points i could eat a box of mac and cheese and salad for the rest of the day.
Someone please help me to understand.
Stardutchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:21 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Well... a few things.

I began with like... 40 points, so I understand the problem.

First, don't bother using "reduced fat/fat free" in the beginning. Just learn serving sizes. This will boost your points.

Second, have calorie-dense healthy snacks. Like avocado, or a measurement of nuts. Do you like cheese? A couple pieces of good cheese will bring those points up. Or some feta on top of a salad with olives! Delicious, healthy, and feta & olives will help add to your points.

Third, are you getting your healthy oils in? That'd be 2 points right there.

Last, where are your veggies? And I only see one piece of fruit. Try to get more of these in. Fruit has points as well, so that'd help boost the points.

It can be hard to get in all those points, but work with it. It's important to get them in on as many days as possible to keep your metabolism working properly, and to keep you losing weight in a healthy way!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:32 AM   #3  

S/C/G: way to high/ 150

Thanx. The pasta salad I made was full of broc, mushrooms and tomato so I got some veggies in there. Tomorrow I'll try to get everything in.
Stardutchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:23 AM   #4  

Hi Stardutchess: I need to go introduce myself but I saw your post and wanted to respond first.
Our WW moderator says if you're low on points to grab a handful of nuts. Or a fish oil capsule.
I found out yesterday the importance of meeting your point total. I have been going under my points (at the time 23) more frequently than not, and am dropping weight where people are making comments out of concern, not encouragement. Apparently going under your point level is considered the Quick Start program and should not be continued for more than a week. I've been doing it without knowing it for seven weeks. I need to get right.

Last edited by mumrock; 05-02-2008 at 07:24 AM. Reason: could be read as "a handful of fish oil capsules."
mumrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:25 AM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

Hey Mumrock!

Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:44 AM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

It can be tough - I had the same problem the first time around on WW. I had 28 points and I was consistently under eating. I ended up feeling really sick two months in, my skin was really dry, I didn't feel energetic and healthy like you're supposed to when losing weight! As soon as I went off WW and upped my food intake and fat intake, everything returned back to normal. Of course, all the pounds also returned because I stopped watching what I was eating.

The WW program has been tested, retested, and retested again. The program works, you just have to follow it. So do your best to get those points in; if you don't now, your metabolism might slow down which will make it really tough to lose weight later on.

Faerie had great suggestions and I'm just going to echo them -
-no low fat/no fat foods. Eat regular yogurt. Regular cheese. Regular dressing.
-Avocado
-Nuts
-Olive oil & canola oil
-Salmon and beef are both high-points, instead of chicken

Things like those will help you get the points you need without the bulk you don't want right now. This program isn't about restriction, it's about being able to eat the things you love, sensibly, while still losing weight. (So yeah, you could eat a box of Mac n Cheese if htat's what you want )
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

The healthiet foods often have the highest volume for the calorie. So while it seems like you're eating "more" than you're used to - you're actually eating much less (calorie wise at least).

In a sense, you're getting more bang for your buck. But you don't just have to fill your stomache, you have to fuel your body, so it's important that you don't cut your calories too drastically. In the beginning, that might mean adding healthy fats to your diet to get your calories in.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/tickers/127

Height: 5'

I was going to suggest using dressings, mayo, dairy and breads that are not the reduced-fat/low cal variety. It's amazing the points that increase with some of the "full-strength" versions.

I didn't notice any milk or milk products (we're supposed to have 2 servings) and just saw the one fruit. I'm not always too great at getting all my fruits/veggies in, either, but I'm trying! But fruit and milk (and 2% will be higher in points than skim or 1%) will help increase your points some. Also, if you love soup at lunch, you could make yourself a sandwich or salad to go with it.

I understand how it doesn't seem to make sense that eating all the points will help, but I've heard in more than one place that it does work. Plus, when you reach a plateau, or when you drop down some in weight and need to drop your points some, you have more "wiggle room" to not be really low.

I'm at 27 points right now, and most of the time I'm right there, or a little over. But I haven't used all my 35 flex points in a week, so I figure I'm doing alright.

I'm going through a debate with my dh right now, about eating vs. not eating. I'll post in another thread, because it's become quite the point of discussion between us right now, lol.

Last edited by luvmyfam; 05-02-2008 at 01:18 PM.
luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:52 PM   #9  

Would anyone happen to know how many points a woman in the 175-199 weight range, and is breastfeeding, eat? I've lost my book.

Thanks!
heatherd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:51 PM   #10  

You weigh more, therefore your body needs more calories to function properly...as you lose weight you will need fewer points.

My points are 34 a day as well. I find that I have to remember to eat more often during the day so I don't scramble to eat whatever in the evenings.

Make sure to eat snack in between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner. Something with several points. Once you get in a groove, it will make sense!

I don't but lower calorie foods or anything, just everything in moderation. I follow serving sizes and measure accordingly. To boost my points intake I'll have double the cereal in the morning if that's what I'm having! Instead of 3/4 cups of cereal, I have 1 1/2 cups cereal with 1 cup milk. I'll have a glass of chocolate milk later on too... 2 points of milk (1&%) and 1 tbsp nesquick 1 pt. Quick points, you get milk, and a chocolate treat!
astigmatistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:57 PM   #11  

Height: 5'7"

Heather - we'd need to know your weight "decade" (170s, 180s, or 190s), your height, and your activity level (sedentary, some light activity, lots of activity) before we can figure out your points number.
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:40 AM   #12  
on my way to satisfaction

S/C/G: 245/230/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardutchess View Post
My daily point total is 34, and I am having a hard time reaching it. Today I only ate 18. I just don't understand how eating so much is going to get me to lose weight.

I have that problem now as well i am suppose to eat 32 points per day and i have a heck of a time doing that. It is almost impossible for me to do that. I was told we have to get them in. 2 days ago i felt so sick after getting them in but yesterday was not as bad. I was always the person who thought that eating less points meant it was better for you, so today when i go shopping i am going to get a fewer high points foods so i know i can reach my goal for the day..or at least get close. so hang in there i know what you are going through!!

Shannon1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:20 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 337/ticker/320

Height: 5'7

Talking

Shannon,
I was under the same belief, that less was better, and slowly, after some very sad WI's, and asking alot of questions, I did learn the hard way, you do need to eat more, of the right foods that is, to lose. You have to trick your body into thinking you are not going to deprive it of food, so it doesn't go into starvation mode.

Good Luck at the store, and also getting in all your points, this week.
Institches21 is offline   Reply With Quote