Old 01-31-2008, 09:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Default WW for a broke grad student

Hey all,

I've been counting calories the past couple of months, but the weight loss has slowed to nearly nothing. I just ordered a points calculator and the book with all the points off of eBay, and I'm planning to switch to the Flex diet once they come. I've done WW once in the past, and I remember the points feeling like a really responsible and comprehensive way to measure the foods I eat, so I'm hoping that taking fat and fiber into account will help me choose my calories more responsibly.

Just wanted to introduce myself, since I'll hopefully be posting a lot in the next few months!! I'm planning to look to 3FC as my WW group, since it's free...

And, as far as I remember, the number of points I should be eating is 20/day, with 30 flex points for the week. I am 5'2" and weigh 142ish -- does that sound right?

I look forward to "meeting" you all!!

S
shrinkinglizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:28 AM   #2  
The Last 10lbs!

Hey!

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm a broke undergraduate, lol. WW is working really well for me so far. The nice thing is, I'm not eating as much as I used to since I've started counting points, so I'm actually saving money! Haha! I'm using this board as my only real support group, as I am not going to the meetings. It's doing great so far, and I really think in the last few weeks it has been a key ingredient to my success. Good luck with it!!
freedomreins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:25 AM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

Hi there! I live in a college town and there are lots of college students at our meetings...so I think you can do WW on a budget. Honestly, WW foods and stuff are pretty expensive (I look for sales and stock up), but they're the most convenient. I'm trying to get better about counting points in all food so I'm not eating so many WW frozen meals, it just takes more effort. I'm also trying to get better with purchasing veggies that aren't ready-to-eat. A head of lettuce is so much cheaper than a bagged salad!

And I think it really doesn't cost too much more to eat healthy foods unless all you eat now is Ramen! It really is much cheaper to cook at home than eating out, even McDonald's, most of the time, and so much better for you!

I'm rambling, sorry. Good luck!

Anyway, good luck.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:05 PM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

Hey! This is a new place to run into you I've done WW without meetings before and it works just fine, esp with 3FC behind you. I didn't start going to meetings til I had the disposable income to pay for it.

If you haven't done it in a while they changed up the plan a little to accommodate for lifestyle and stuff, so you'll probably be getting a point or two more than you used to -- we can't "publish" (post) the formula they use now because it's proprietary, but I'm sure if you PM some kind soul they'll share it with you privately (I'd be happy to). I don't think you'll get the week 1 booklet with your stuff from ebay, which is where the formula is, but if I'm wrong and you got something other than just the books then you should be all set.

I find counting points to be far easier and more effective than counting calories.... Good luck, hope to see you around down here sometimes!
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:01 PM   #5  
Shelly

S/C/G: 124/Check Ticker/110

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

I'm also a broke just graduated and got married person, and I have been doing WW with the at home kit. It is fabulous and well worth the investment. Before I couldn't lose any weight and now I have been losing a little over a pound a week. I see that you are the same height as me... do you also have the slow metabolism I have? A pound a week is awesome for me!
beachbabe8406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

If you do decide that you need meetings, for the weigh-in accountability consider TOPS. It's far cheaper than WW, and you can follow any diet plan you wish. In my group, about half our former WW members, and are still following the WW food plan (flex or core).

It's $24 per year to join (which includes a monthly magazine) and generally under $5 per month dues (our group charges $3/month dues, and you can earn free dues with weight loss).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Hey all!! Thanks for the kind words (hey SuiteJudy I'm glad you're here!!)

I'm soooooooo excited my points stuff came today, so new month, new diet. I have the slidey calculator (I also order the digi one but it hasn't come yet) and the Complete Food Companion.

Here I go!!!!!!!!!!

S
shrinkinglizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 260/244/160

Height: 5'3"

If you are broke, it helps to get canned or frozen veggies and fruit. Produce is expensive and goes back before I can eat it, a huge waste of money. Oh and if you like ramen noodles, I saw a low fat low sodium one in the grocery last week. Only three points. I haven't tried it yet. But those are just some tips for $$.
dali78 is offline   Reply With Quote