Old 01-24-2008, 09:51 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Angry somebody... just tell me everything will work out okay.

See, I have NO idea what's happening to me right now. I once again weighed this morning (though official WI is on Saturday) and i'm UP 1.5 from yesterday. Yesterday I was down .5, the day before I was up 1. So we're looking at an overall upward trend, and I SWEAR I am eating totally on-plan, getting in veggies and healthy oils and all that. I'm .5 away from my starting weight of 3 weeks ago.

start weight: 213.5
week 1 WI: 209.5
week 2 WI: 210
and it looks like week 3 WI will be... 213

Man, WW was so easy last time I did it. My body responded so well. Now it can't seem to figure out what to do with itself. And I'm even exercising this time, which I didn't do last time....... please don't let me rationalize stopping exercise!

Also, please don't let me rationalize giving up, which I would sorely like to do, since this is just another source of aggravation that is avoidable. (This is where that really good quote comes in: Being fat is hard. Losing weight is hard. Maintenance is hard. Pick your hard.)

I plan 90% of my meals. I've been out to eat two or three times since restarting WW, and each time I've gone online and found nutritional info for where ever I'm going, and chose BEFORE I went what I was going to eat to make sure it fit into my plan. I've had one off-plan day... that was very off-plan.... but I still counted points and picked myself up the next day and kept going. Now it seems even if I eat OP I'm gonna keep gaining weight.

I do not understand the mechanics of my own body. I'm trying to focus on the fact that I can feel a change in my thigh muscles due to the exercise... My pants aren't cutting into me as much (due to the 1.5" I somehow lost off my midsection amidst all this)... I feel more awake during the day... I'm not craving sugar as much... I'm starting to feel like I *enjoy* exercise and actually look forward to it... But then I see my weight and get all discouraged, and all these good things go flying out the window.

THIS is why I want to take a hammer to my scale. Because it throws me off-track. Because no matter what I do, I can't make friends with it. Because, while I don't expect to lose 4lbs every week, I DO expect to see a little downward trend, or at least to see maintenance every now and again. Not gains. Not when I'm working so hard.

I'm trying to vary my points intake from day to day (kind of Wendie plan-ish), but that seems to make the lbs come back faster. I'm kind of at the end of my rope. I'm not about to go bury myself in a bucket of ice cream, but I'm probably going to use my no-weigh pass on Saturday at my meeting. If they didn't require you to WI once a month, I don't think I'd ever get on the stupid scale ever again.

/End rant.

Gah.
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:09 AM   #2  
I can do it! ^_^

S/C/G: 194/185.2/135

whether or not the scale moves, just remember that the foods that you're eating and the improvements you've made in your life are bettering your over all health! Even if the weight isn't falling off, it's good for you! Are you possibly gaining weight because you have been working out more and are possibly building muscle? You even said your pants aren't cutting into you as much maybe you should try measuring your body to help keep yourself encouraged that way even if you don't see the scale go down!

Keep your chin up we can do this!!! ^_^
satisfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:32 AM   #3  

Height: 5' 8"

Default Yes! it will be okay!

I love the quote. Gonna use that as my mantra. People in the grocery store are going to think I need to be committed as I'm reading labels and muttering "pick your hard"

An inch and a half gone in only 2 weeks!!! that's amazing!

OK - breathe, put down the hammer. If you mash your scale you'll just have to go out an buy another one. But, maybe put it in the garage or hide it in the trunk of your car for a few days. Mine whispers little come-ons to me every day then laughs hysterically and mocks me when I give in to it.

First of all, you are a woman so could be a zillion reasons for the fluctuation. Apply that great focus you are using to stay on your food plan to staying on the scheduled weigh days. And, I know the experts say it's a myth that you actually gain body weight when you first start and exercise program but it's happened to me every time. My theory (for me anyway) is that after a long period of inactivity my body forgets it's got all this stuff stored up and suddenly thinks it's not going to have enough fuel for the exercise so it frantically trys to pack some in. Then it suddenly remembers this big old "storage unit" on my backside and starts tapping it. It does go away (and sometimes seemingly overnight).

So, hang in there - it is your life and your health not you scale's and you are better, smarter, and stonger than it is!
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:09 AM   #4  
Turning it around...

S/C/G: 215/see slider/145

Height: 5'5

I think I'd get rid of the scale...choose whatever method of death for it that'll make you feel better...and don't step on any scale but for the one at your WW weigh-in. otherwise, you'll just make yourself a crazy person...

Just continue to stay OP--you can do this....

p.s.- everything will work out okay

Last edited by Jaelini; 01-24-2008 at 11:10 AM.
Jaelini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:14 AM   #5  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Don't give up! If you are exercising regularly, you may be gaining muscle and still be losing fat. You said that your clothes fit better. The scale is not everything! Why not try taking your measurements and comparing those once a week as well? You might find that you are pleasantly surprised!

Also, I would encourage you to discuss this with your WW leader after your meeting. That is what they are there for. Bring your journal with you - your leader will want to see it. He/She can make recommendations that are more suited to you after looking that over.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:26 AM   #6  
Changing behaviours

Suite, I'm so glad you posted this, at least I know I'm not alone! I've got my second WI tomorrow, and I'm scared. My scale here at home is up, down, and all over the map even though I've been eating on plan and excerising. And I don't feel any thinner. Every other time I've dieted the weight has dropped off for the first two weeks; not so this time. It's very frustrating, but I'm just going to keep at it. Something's gotta give sometime, right?
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:41 AM   #7  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I wanted to also say - check your portion sizes. Some people *think* they are eating 1 cup of something of 3 oz, but when you eyeball it you could be eating much more than you think. If you don't have a food scale, I'd encourage you get one!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:21 PM   #8  

Height: 5'6"

First of all: And good for you! Instead of going off-program and vanishing from the boards out of your frustration you did the right thing and came here for support! That's what it takes -- and you WILL succeed!

Now as to your scale difficulties...we all have different bodies that can function at varying levels depending on our ages, environments (are you stressed?), and general health. Not to be alarmist, but perhaps there's an underlying health issue that could be the cause? Did you visit your GP before starting WW?

If it's not that...it could just be your particular metabolism and its unique period of adjustment to your new way of eating/exercise regime. In the grand scheme of things, you haven't been doing this so long, eh? Don't judge your body and its weight loss trajectory by the speed at which others are dropping the pounds -- give yourself some time and positive "self-talk." (I'm loathe to admit this, as I pretty much think it's cringe-worthy, but I tell my body that I love it, and that that is the reason I'm putting it through all this!) Focus on your NSVs!

I think you are doing all the right things (except maybe too-frequent weigh-ins )...and that time will tell. Don't smash that scale; you are going to need it to track the losses that will come! And your scale will keep you accountable long into the future...JUST HANG IN THERE!! A loss could be right around the corner -- don't quit before you get to experience that joy!
LizzieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:26 PM   #9  
ur gettin' schooled, son.

S/C/G: 164/157/143

Screw the scale for now. Do you measure your hips/waist/bust? Do that instead. Buy a measuring tape if you don't have one (the kind from craft stores) and measure yourself in the waist/hips/bust. Do that once a week. You should go more by how many inches you lose than by the weight on the scale. It's a more accurate reflection. Weight can fluctuate, you might be getting muscle, so it's not going down. Losing inches lets you see you are getting smaller anyways, even if the scale says otherwise. Stay strong!
Mizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:23 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hi Suite,

I am experiencing the same thing, because I am exercising this time and I didn't do that before. I think some of it is probably because I am older and I thought about stopping the exercise because I always lost better without it, but I've decided not to quit anything I'm doing. I know I am doing good things for my health and I figure that if I keep doing the right things that eventually my body will start doing what it is supposed to do. I do know some foods making me weigh more than others for some reason. I eat out 2 or 3 times a week and I don't know how seasonings can cause temporary water gain. Also, if I don't drink enough water my weight fluctuates. So I would do what someone else here suggested and be sure your portions are right and just keep on keeping on and it will work. Also, you go to meetings and you can get help from your leader. My sister did that and is doing better.

Trish
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:06 PM   #11  

Wow! I'm kind of overwhelmed at all the support I'm getting... I don't often post "help me!" threads so I'm not used to being on the receiving end. You ladies are just the bee's knees, you're all so awesome!

satisfied: I doubt I've done much to build muscle so far, since my exercise regimen is relatively new. Though as another poster pointed out, my muscles may be swollen and holding water because of the change, which is conceivable. And you're totally right, even if I'm not losing, I'm definitely doing some good things for myself!

yoyodieter: your post made me laugh. a lot! esp @ your "storage unit"... It's helpful to hear that you had a similar experience, and that eventually your body figured out where it was supposed to take its energy from! I hope that will start happening to me.

jaelini: I'm thinking I'm going to Freecycle my scale. Give it to someone else... I know that by doing that I'll just have to get a new one if I stop going to meetings, but I can live with that. I know others have suggested I just hide it, but I know I'd just go get it out mid-week and keep weighing myself as usual... So instead of destroying the scale, I'll let it drive someone else crazy!

fressca: well, here's hoping things turn around for the both of us! I'm just gonna take everyone's advice and keep going... Not much else to do, anyway. Good luck to you!

modkitten: yep, I have a food scale. I count my almonds, I measure my museli I will go ahead and measure/weigh everything and recalculate points for absolutely everything I eat for a few days, to make sure I'm not fooling myself. Just to make sure it's not my eating making me gain!

lizzie: Thanks for all the e-hugs I often forget I've really only been doing this for 3 weeks, not sure what I'm expecting -- miracles? Well, maybe I just expect not to gain weight :/ I haven't seen a Dr. in a long time, actually, and that is something that crossed my mind... Last time I had everything checked out was 2 years ago, and I haven't really seriously tried to lose since before that, so maybe something's changed. I guess I ought to look into that if I continue having problems...

mizu: that is fantastic advice, and advice i plan on following. I did take my measurements when I first started, so I know I've lost a few inches total, which is why I never understood the gain in weight. Tell me again why we all rely on scales to measure our progress? :/

patty: good luck getting out of your rut too. and yeah, it sounds like exercise might be the cause of my worries, since it's really the only thing changing and you're having the same problem!

As I started to feel better after reading all the supportive responses I've gotten (I posted about this in 20-somethings as well), I kind of started to recognize one of the main reasons this is bugging me... I posted about it in my blog but generally it's because for some reason I feel that if you don't lose weight, no one's going to see your dietary and lifestyle changes as "worth it" or remotely successful. I mean everybody outside of 3FC, because the people on 3FC understand that there's more to weight loss than, well, weight loss. But no one asks, "did you make healthy choices today?" or "I bet you don't get winded going up a flight of stairs now!" or "hey, lose any inches off your right thigh yet?" They want to know how much weight I've lost, or how much weight I intend to take off. And I don't have an answer for those questions, since my victories are the small kind that tend to go unnoticed (there's something poetic about that). No one cares that I ate an apple today with lunch and when I went to the convenience store with co-workers, I went just to get the walk and not a candy bar. So I start feeling like I have nothing to show for all my efforts when I don't lose weight.

BUT: first of all, who cares about everybody else?

and second of all, we all have tons to show for our efforts, even without the scale. At least for me, though, I have to keep telling myself that or I meltdown, like I did this morning.

It's just something that bothers me...
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:25 PM   #12  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by suitejudyblueeyes View Post
But no one asks, "did you make healthy choices today?" or "I bet you don't get winded going up a flight of stairs now!" or "hey, lose any inches off your right thigh yet?" They want to know how much weight I've lost, or how much weight I intend to take off. And I don't have an answer for those questions, since my victories are the small kind that tend to go unnoticed (there's something poetic about that).

(I had replied in the 20-somethings, but you posted this here ^^)

I know what you mean!!!! Some days I'm just happy that actually went to go exercise. It'd be nice to occasionally have my mother ask me "Did you go for a walk today?" instead of "How much is the total now?". I know everyone means well about it. They want to be excited and know the progress, but the progress can't only be measured in weight. It's not the sum of all I will or have achieved! I suppose it's just the easiest to understand from an outsider perspective.

Last edited by Lovely; 01-24-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:46 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Thanks Suite. Some times it is thrilling to me that I stuck OP when maybe I didn't want to, or I am excited that rode my stationary bike, etc. Sometimes those things that are minor accomplishments to others are the really big ones for me especially when the results of weight loss is so slow. I am so thankful for 3FC friends who understand that.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:11 PM   #14  
Recovering Pizza Addict

S/C/G: 273/235/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm glad you're feeling better, suitejudyblueeyes (great song, btw). I really wanted to throw my Ra Ra! in there, because WOW do I know that feeling, but everybody beat me to it.

I've had to change my thought patterns about what I'm doing this time. I'm not "on a diet" or "trying to lose weight". I'm "trying to make better choices" and "treating my body with respect."

The scale has been my archenemy my whole life, and this time I am ignoring it completely except on WI day.

Keep going, sister. The value in all of this is YOURS! As others have said, forget the other people.

hafowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:02 PM   #15  
Strong on the inside

S/C/G: 197/197/145 HW: 233

Height: 5'4"

Glad to hear you're feeling better, and HUGE HIGH-FIVE to you for the 1.5inches off your mid-section! That's amazing progress for only a couple of weeks! I WISH I had progress like that to show.

The scale is scary to me too. Every single week, I fear stepping up there and hearing "oh dear... what did you do wrong?" (OK, that is completely ridiculous. No one at WW would EVER say that.) But, I know exactly where you're coming from.

You're doing exactly what you're supposed to be doing, and you're succeeding! And remember this: when people look at you, they don't see pounds lost, they see inches lost! And you're making AMAZING progress in that area, even if the scale is being a stubborn old fart. You just keep it up, dear. You're doing a great job!
aerotigergirl is offline   Reply With Quote