Old 01-06-2008, 05:24 PM   #1  
Shelly

S/C/G: 124/Check Ticker/110

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Default Things you eat when you are out

Hi everyone. I know there are lots of questions about eating at restaurants, but I have another one. If you go to a restaurant where you cannot find the points information for, what do you generally eat? I travel a lot for work, and I am worried that I am just going to be eating salads or plain chicken breasts because I can't find nutritional information and those are somewhat easy to calculate. Please help!
beachbabe8406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:31 PM   #2  
The Last 10lbs!

A lot of restaurants post their nutritional information online, so what I do when I know where I am going ahead of time, I search google for the restaurant's website. Then I decide in advance what I am going to have and stick to it. When I don't know where I'm going for a meal, or can't find it online (not all restaurants have the info online, like Moxie's, for example), I generally tend to get something that I can easily calculate the points for, like a sandwich with all the ingredients written in the menu, or a bowl of soup and a side salad, or if you have lots of points left and/or have some extra flex points, something that sounds especially tasty and I know I could get away with that week I also sometimes just order an appetizer as a meal, since the portion size is smaller - and a lot of times, it's cheaper too! The only thing is that there are a ton of appetizers loaded with junk and extra calories (looking up menus online has taught me that there are a lot of appetizers with more fat and calories than main meals, usually because they're meant to be shared, I guess) but if you're going for something like an appetizer size of shrimp skewers with minimal sauce, you should be good to go!

You'll probably end up eating plenty of salads and plain meals, as you said, since there isn't always many choices for someone watching what they're eating, but occasionally, you'll be able to find sandwiches with lots of vegetables and whole wheat bread and a bit of protein - that's generally what I go for, and then just eat lightly for the rest of the day Or, even better, restaurants like Chili's have "Guiltless" or Low Carb menus that are usually a bit healthier than the regular menu!

Eating out is so good but so complicated sometimes! lol I've found it easier lately, since looking for nutritional info online. It doesn't always have to be so difficult to diet... I like making it easy on myself! I find the internet is a great tool for trying to calculate what I have eaten at restaurants. Good luck!

Last edited by freedomreins; 01-06-2008 at 08:36 PM.
freedomreins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:48 PM   #3  

I have quite a few allergys and found that most restaurants will go the extra mile for me...all I do is ask and man do they get creative...I usually just let them know what I can and cannot have and ask the chef to be creative and they usually love to make somthing that is not on the menu for you..I have had many chefs proudly deliver my meals to me....they love to be creative with food that is why they become chefs...they love to show their work...they are like an artist...
Try it, you will be surprised, and no more boring grilled chicken breast meals...I have had my share of those believe me....
Misery Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:34 PM   #4  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

I usually try to go vegetarian, or seafood instead of beef, something without a lot of cheese when I really don't know the restaurant. Don't be afraid to take your time with the menu and ask how something's prepared.

I also usually order soup, fills you up a bit!
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:41 PM   #5  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

I agree with freedomreins--If you can pre plan that would be great because a lot of restaurants have their nutritional information online. Also there is www.dwlz.com which has the points to many restaurants across the US and Canada. That way if you have to do fast food you know what to get at say Wendy's or McD's or Boston Market, etc. A lot of the hotels I go to have a microwave and fridge in the room so I pack stuff to take with me. I'm not sure if going out to dinner is part of job (ie, meeting with clients).
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:41 PM   #6  
Shelly

Thanks for all the advice! I think I will have to try to order more shrimp and leave off any cheese. When I travel for work we basically eat out for lunch and dinner... hardly any of the places we stay at have refrigerators or microwaves. Although I have been known to make soup in the coffee pot! Maybe I should try that again!
Old 01-09-2008, 11:06 AM   #7  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

I do lots of grilled or broiled items...skip the fried stuff. Chicken, fish, shrimp, even boneless pork chops can be a good choice! I know they sound boring at first, but after a while you'll find out that some of the items you'll like even better with just that bit of salt and pepper on it than you did when you ate the heavy sauces. The real taste of food begins to shine through and you won't look at it as boring, plain stuff anymore!

In addition, while I do love salads, I always check first to see if the restaurant has any ff or lf salad dressing. If they only have the full fat version, you may as well eat something else as to have to charge yourself 5-6 points just for the salad dressing alone!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:22 PM   #8  

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Smile

i look it up in my complete food companion from WW I have the dining out book from them also but not all of the restaurants are in there. Can you believe Outback isn't in there? Oh my gosh that's my favorite. but anyway we have a local mexican restarant we love better than anything, and I usually just eat chicken fajitas no bread just the meat and veggies and salad that comes with it. the book says 8 pts for 2 minus the bread-4 pts and thats 4 pts for my meal!!!not including salsa & guacamole.
shelbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 212/212/140

Height: 5'2"

My family has had a lot of medical issues and even a significant death in the family that has nessessitated a lot of driving to my hometown about 6 hours away. The one restaurant that I consistently see along the way was McDonald's. After perusing their online site I decided that I would get 1 grilled chicken snack wrap and 1 yogurt fruit parfait. I haven't done this in awhile but I think it was ten points. When I got to my mom's I would then keep dinner very simple, usually a salad. The other thing I would do was to find a Subway and get a 6" turkey on italian bread, no cheese or mayo but I would get mustard or the sweet onion sauce. These things really helped me with all my back and forth traveling in the car. I was going over once, or sometimes twice, a month.
WAgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:00 AM   #10  
Izzy

S/C/G: 274/268/199

Height: 6'

Subway always helps me. They have good choices!
Izzy906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:21 PM   #11  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

At MickeyD's I get a hamburger happy meal with apple dippers and white milk, also 10 pts. and you get a toy!!

I go with whopper jr. instead of regular at BK and Wendy's kid's meal has a turkey sandwich that's not bad, I think they have mandarin oranges as a side.

I got over feeling weird about ordering the kid's meals, it's what I need to do.
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:34 PM   #12  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

I hadn't thought about the fast food aspect in regards to this post when I responded! As far as a quick bite or fast lunch, I'm a Subway girl, too, and actually eat it once or twice a week. I LOVE Subway! I used to order their kids meal, but since they changed their menu a couple of months ago now I just order a "mini" in whatever flavor I'm feeling that day....usually either turkey or beef. I love that I can load it up with veggies and mustard, skip the cheese, and have a great sandwich for only 3 points. Occassionally I'll add the baked chips in, but normally only eat 1/2 the bag, which gives me only one extra point. 4 points for a meal? Fantastic!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:53 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 212/212/140

Height: 5'2"

As far as a reg. restaurant goes I like getting a salad and then a shrimp cocktail off the appatizer menu. If it's a nice shrimp cocktail it's pretty filling. And I LOVE shrimp.
WAgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:25 PM   #14  
Shelly

I am out of town for work right now. I had Subway yesterday for lunch and tried some baked cod for dinner. I was actually under my points! Then today we went to Arby's so I had the roast beef kids meal with fruit cup and that was only 7 or 8 points. Then I had a little bit of pulled pork with broccoli and a small baked potato. I splurged for a beer so I had to use a flex point, but it was still wonderful. This is a lot easier than I thought it was going to be!
Old 01-16-2008, 06:53 AM   #15  
The Last 10lbs!

Well done! That's really great!
freedomreins is offline   Reply With Quote