Eggplant/Walnut pate recipe
(from the Dr. Weil website)
Traditional patÚs are often made from high fat meats and liver. They can be delicious and quite elegant, but less than nutritious. This vegetarian version is elegant, filled with flavor, and nutritious. Enjoy it on a special occasion or as an everyday spread with whole grain crackers.
1 large eggplant
1 cup walnut pieces
2 teaspoons fresh gingerroot, peeled, grated, and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, mashed
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
Salt and hot pepper sauce to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450░F. Pierce the eggplant with a fork in several places and bake until very soft, about 45 minutes.
2. While the eggplant is baking, grind the walnuts in a food processor until very fine, and set aside.
3. Remove the eggplant from oven, slash to let steam escape, drain off any liquid, and scrape the pulp into a food processor with the gingerroot, garlic, and olive oil. Process until smooth.
4. Add the ground walnuts and allspice, and process until smooth.
5. Season to taste with the salt, and hot pepper sauce. Spoon into a small loaf dish and chill several hours or until firm.
Carbs: 6.6 grams total, fiber 2.2 grams - net carbs 4.4 grams
Re-started Atkins on 9/22 - 155
9/28 - 150
Ultimate goal - 140 by December 31
this includes any muscle gain through weight training between now and then..