Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2000, 11:46 AM   #1  
Lifetime Member

Liatris, I copied this right from your post in the low carb forum. Made you famous here!

"Do you have a blender or food processor? You don't need one but it makes things easier. Homemade mayonaise is basically egg yolks, oil, vinegar and salt.

Julia Child's Mayonaise in the Blender
(makes about 1 1/4 cup sauce)

1 whole egg -- at room temperature
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice or wine vinegar
1 cup oil

Break egg into blender jar, cover and blend at top speed for 30 seconds. Add mustard, salt, and lemon juice. Blend 15 seconds. Uncover jar, and blending at high speed, pour the oil into the centre of the egg mixture in a thin stream. The sauce will begin to thicken after about 1/2 cup oil has gone in and the machine clogs when you have reached about 1 cup.

If you need a recipe that you make with a mixer or by hand, please let me know and I'll post it.

BTW, curdled mayo, and incidently Hollandaise too, can be rescued by starting with a little mustard in a warm bowl and slowly beating in the curdled sauce drop by drop.

If you have concerns about using raw eggs homemade mayo is not for you!"

Thanks, from Giggles!

(I tried it and it worked beautifully! -G)

[This message has been edited by Giggles (edited 07-13-2000).]
Old 04-07-2002, 05:49 PM   #2  

Hey Giggles love the name! Thanks for posting this recipe I thought that I could never eat mayo agains since glucose is the second ingredient in commercial mayo.
Out of curiosity - should I use veg or olive oil? I am not that much of a cook and am not too sure if one will make a difference over the other flavour or otherwise...
thanks!!!
shnadle
Closed Thread