Cornbread

• Since I am a true Southerner, here is my recipe that I worked out to make my cornbread. I used to just pour and stir, but I finally perfected it so I could count points. I don't care for sweet cornbread and I love it crunchy--so here goes:

Cornbread

1 cup self rising cornmeal (mine is Martha White--I think it says cornmeal mix? on the bag)

1 1/4 cup buttermilk (mine was 1% fat)**no substitutions for the buttermilk! Regular milk makes it crumbly!

Before mixing this up, preheat oven to 425 degrees. Use an iron skillet and add 1 Tablespoon oil. Put it in the oven until hot--probably about 7-10 minutes. Pour cornbread mix in skillet--it will sizzle. Bake for about 20-30 minutes. My skillet is probably about 6-9 inches across. I cut into 6 pieces and it has 3 points for each piece.

• Cornbread
    For the price of a half a point, can't I use bacon grease instead of oil in the skillet that I'm heating? I've used my granny's cast iron skillet for years and always put a spoonful of bacon fat in the pan...just doesn't taste like cornbread without it.
  • Thanks, Tammy L. I, too, am a Southern girl and abhor sweet cornbread, I might add. I wish I had checked out this recipe to have with my green beans and summer squash sides last night. I can't wait to try this.