potluck sidedish anyone??

• I need a side dish to bring on Wednesday night. Not a dessert. I just started core. Any suggestions on something quick and easy?
  • If you like mexican type food - my current favorite salad is

1 can Garbanzo Beans (Rinsed) - I use Westbrae Organics and there really is a differance
    1 can Black Beans (Rinsed really well) - Same Comment on Westbrae
    1 box, bag, or cooked fresh corn
    1 pint of Store bought Salsa Fresca (Drained) - From the Deli Case, try to find a salsa that has chopped not crushed tomatoes - it will be prettier and better texture.

Mix it all up, serve room temp or chilled in a pretty bowl. It is a very festive dish for potlucks. Add cooked couscous, cucumbers and a little olive oil for something more filling. Vary the "heat" with whatever salsa you choose.

This is about the easiest recipe ever. I make it often and use it on tacos, taco salads, as a side dish, for lunch, etc.
  • yes I would agree a nice big salad would be great or maybe some devilled eggs or some veggies with a dip or something?
  • How about a huge fruit salad (you could use that as a dessert). Just mix together your choice of fresh/frozen (without sugar) or canned (in own juice) fruits and/or berries. I made one the first week on Core because I had a family reunion and I really enjoyed eating that while everyone else was eating all those sweet desserts that made them feel sick afterwards! I also had enough to munch on all week. Think I'll fix another one this week just to have around--tastes great mixed with the plain yogurt.

Or you could fix Core potato salad or a big pot of frozen (well you would cook them) green beans flavored with a little olive oil.

Janette
  • Just an addition to that fruit salad, if you use canned, or some canned, keep the juices and add enough water to make 2 cups, then stir in 1 package of sf vanilla Jello and combine with the drained fruit . . . .

Also, I put some salads and side dishes in the recipe forum that might work also.
  • Debra - what's up with the sugar free vanilla jello? I've never heard of that! Do you mix it in to add gelatiny texture? Inquiring minds need to know! LOL