Old 04-14-2009, 11:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 276.2/270/160

Default Recipes For Camping

My husband and I love to camp. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas for some good weight watcher friendly recipes that would work well for camping?
thedawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:57 AM   #2  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

DH and I make ours up as we go along. They're not complex, but simple comfort foods that we have at home (minus the carbs).

Here are a few links for camp recipes:
http://camping.about.com/od/campingr...recipes.htm#s2
http://www.camprecipes.com (I'll be using some of these next time we go for a weekend away! They look really yummy.)

Depending on whether or not you have some place to keep your food cold, bring things like butter, cheese, meat, and milk. If not, cheese will keep for 3-4 days outside the fridge, use milk powder, but leave the butter and meat at home, but bring olive oil. Don't forget the salt, pepper, garlic and onion- any dish can be dressed up with these ingredients, plus pasta, rice and potatoes.

For breakfast, something high energy: muesli (proper Bircher stuff that you need to soak overnight- it's usually low GI and is a slow-release carb) with LF/FF yoghurt; peanut butter and toast; or eggs and toast. Eggs don't need refrigerating at all. You can even make pancakes or French toast. We had eggs, bacon and toast every morning (hindsight tells me to bring my muesli and yoghurt next time; we did so much hiking I was hungry again by 11am!)

For lunch, we had things like burgers and soup and sandwiches (if you have a place to keep your meat cool). If not, bring tinned beans, soup, bread, peanut butter, jam, tinned fish (tuna, salmon) and lettuce for salads. Lunch can be pretty simple, but again, it should have sufficient energy to take you to dinner (or an afternoon trail snack).

Dinner needs to be another high energy meal. We brought lamb chops, veggies, steak, potatoes and salads on our last one. Cook your meat somehow. But for the potatoes, slice them up into slices- not cubes. Boil them up for a few minutes till just tender, then add a little oil to the pan, put some garlic in and fry them till crispy, then put them on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil. Add a salad, and viola! Yummy dinner.

However, if you're just relaxing and lazing about, you don't need to put much thought into your meals- meat and salad; or fish and grilled veggies. You don't need the extra carbs for energy. To make really yummy grilled veggies, toss in a little olive oil, season with garlic, wrap in foil and pop on the BBQ to steam, or kebab them and turn them every few minutes till they're soft but still have a little crunch in them.

If you hike for a few days at a time, don't discount the freeze dried meals- just add water. They're meant to be very high energy because you're hiking up and down hills for 5-6 hours a day, but don't rely solely on them- bring crackers, cheese and salami, tuna, fruit, and high energy snacks like peanuts, chocolate, and raisins. Always carry a bar of chocolate or trail mix and water if you're hiking for more than 2 hours.

The people at the camp we were staying at were making things like vegetable curry, fried rice, burgers, sausages, baked potatoes and roasted pumpkin and had ice cream for dessert, but then again, we had a communal fridge and freezer at this place. YMMV.

Hope this is helpful.
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote