Old 02-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Spinach Tostada or Crust for Quiche

I came across this recipe, and the tostada part interested me: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html. I used it as a crust for a ham and cheese quiche.

For the tostadas/crust:

* 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
* 1 tablespoon finely diced red bell pepper
* 1 teaspoon finely diced serrano pepper (I used red pepper flakes)
* 4 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 large eggs
* 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs (used whole wheat regular bread crumbs)
* 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
* 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for sprinkling
* 1/4 teaspoon cayenne

Add the spinach to a colander, and press down to remove as much water as possible. Mix the spinach with the remaining ingredients. The mixture should be very well combined and moist, but not wet. Press half into an oiled pie plate and bake at 350F for 20 minutes. (Note: this makes enough crust for 2 pies, so you can halve it, or do what I did, and fry the rest up as tostadas.) Then fill with your favorite quiche recipe and finish baking.

If you want tostadas instead, spray or lightly oil a non-stick pan or griddle, and spread about 1/4 cup of the mix into a 3" circle (I didn't bother with forming them on parchment and refrigerating as called for in the original recipe. They held together just fine). Cook and flip.

It was really tasty both ways, and I thought about doing little silver dollar sized tostadas sometime with fun toppings for on-plan appetizers. I think you could also do this with chick pea flour in place of the crumbs for Phase I. But the amount of crumb per serving of this is really very small.
The recipe says yield is 12 servings (or 12 tostadas/slices of quiche).
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote