Old 08-20-2010, 03:11 PM   #1  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Default Buckwheat crepes (gluten-free, whole grain, vegetarian)

Ever since I walked past our local creperie a few weeks ago, I have been trying to figure out how to make South-Beach friendly Brittany-style crepes (aka Breton galette). They are made with buckwheat flour, so I figured it wouldn't be that much of a stretch.

Well, I had some disasters along the way with recipes using whole wheat flour in addition to the buckwheat (globby glutinous mess). I talked with the crepe chef and while he didn't give me his actual recipe, he said he used only buckwheat flour, and just one egg for "like a gallon" of batter (his words). Google is my friend, and I found a recipe that is a keeper, even though the egg ratio is a bit higher than the crepe chef's. Hope it saves someone else from hunting around.

Quote:
Gluten-Free Buckwheat Crepes

Ingredients (for 6 crepes):
  • 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
  • A pinch of sea salt
  • 1 tbsp arrowroot or quinoa flour [I had neither so I used oat flour]
  • 1 lg egg
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1 tbsp unsalted butter [I assumed they meant melted so I did that, and I used "Earth Balance"]
Whisk the water, butter, and egg together and then mix with dry ingredients. Set aside for 15-20 minutes. Heat a pan and melt some butter. Once heated, pour some batter into the pan and rotate the pan to get the batter nice and smooth… you don’t want it to be too thick. Return the pan to heat for a couple of minutes until the top is hard. Flip the crepe over and let the other side brown.

They are ~65 calories each if you make 6 from the recipe.

I like to fill them with a little lowfat cheese or parmesan, sauteed mushrooms, caramelized onions, and sliced tomatoes. But I have also been using them in a kind of irreverent fusion breakfast burrito - wrapped around a scrambled egg with pinto beans and a smear of tomato paste or salsa.

Oh, and they are crepes, so they're slightly tricky to cook right. I usually get it right around the 5th one or so. But even the unsightly, ripped ones taste good!
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote