Banana Wheat Bread

• I made this today and it was quite good. It actually rose higher and looked nicer than my old banana bread recipe.

2 cups Whole Wheat flour
    1/4 cup oat bran
    1 tsp. salt
    1 1/2 cups mashed bananas
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 cup NSA applesauce
    1/2 cup Splenda
    1 tsp baking soda
    2 eggs
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts)

Preheat oven to 350.
    Combine oil, eggs, vanilla, bananas and applesauce.
    Whisk together Whole Wheat flour, oat bran, baking soda, salt and Splenda in a separate bowl.
    Add banana mixture to dry ingredients. Stir in nuts. Pour into greased loaf pan. Bake for about 1 hour or until toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean.

Makes 12 servings - About 200 cal & 4 Gms of fiber each.
  • Hello , Can anyone give me an idea how much baking soda to use in this recipe? I'm thinking a teaspoon. Thanks. Linda
  • yummm... I LOVE banana bread! I will try this recipe.
    Michigangirl - sorry, I don't know how much baking soda - does it have to have it at all?
  • I'd add a teaspoon of baking soda.
  • Oops, I edited the recipe to add the baking soda.
  • This is a really good banana bread. I tweaked it a little, of course Used 3/4 c applesauce and 1/4 c agave and 1/4 c erythritol, no splenda. I didn't have any oat bran in the house so used flax meal instead. It worked great.
  • I tweaked the original recipe from an online one. (Allrecipes.com) The original recipe used wheat germ which I didn't have and honey which I substituted with the Splenda.
  • Thanks for the information. I'm baking this today.
  • I made this last night - delicious!

I used white whole wheat flour, 1/4 c. agave syrup (no other sweeteners), pecans for the nuts and canola oil instead of olive oil. I made the applesauce from our over-producing apple tree. It took 4 over-ripe bananas.

Mine took forever to cook - 1.5 hours (and the oven was at 350° F, according to two thermometers). It got too brown on top, so I covered it with foil after 30 minutes, and even after all that cooking, it was still not completely cooked in the middle. But I have to say that it set up just fine after it cooled. It's moist and dense like a fruitcake.

It's hearty and not very sweet - not the kind of thing that I would eat & eat, so that's good news! YUM