Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 07-02-2006, 11:45 AM   #1  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

Default 30.5 down, 19.5 to go. A major scale victory and some musings

I see the numbers, I feel the difference in my clothes... but it still doesn't feel real. I've lost more than 30 pounds, I have less than 20 to go, and yet I have to pinch myself when I look in the mirror because... I really don't look the same. It's only been 23 weeks since I seriously began changing my lifestyle, and I feel like there's no end in sight. I'm in this for the rest of my life... and I'm not scared, at all. It's just so hard to believe that after years of failed diets, I've actually been able transition myself into a healthier lifestyle.

I look different, feel different... I've had guys stare at me who before would've never even given me a second look. Almost every day, some stranger tells me how beautiful I am.

Where were these people when I actually needed them? When my self-esteem was at an all-time low, where were they? They were avoiding my glance. They were taking a different route around the path in order to not pass near me.

I wasn't that big, and yet I was treated so much differently. I don't understand it. It's crazy, and yet so many people do it.

It's interesting.

Sorry for the rambling. Just sort of thinking "out loud"
LadyFirelyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 11:49 AM   #2  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Congratulations on the fantastic weight loss. WTG.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:55 PM   #3  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

Thank you very much, lilybelle
LadyFirelyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:30 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/154/140

Congrats on your loss so far! We seem to be on track with what our goals are, so you're inspiring to me!

I know the feeling of wondering where the people were when we needed it most, but the thing I've noticed lately is that as we lose weight we seem to gain confidence. I don't think it was so much our weight that made people look the other way, but the vibes that we put out. Even when we're smiling, people can still 'feel' that we're not happy? I dunno, that's how I feel about myself...may be different with you.

Sort of like a friend I have that's morbidly obese, and she has been since before I knew her...she's the life of the party, makes everyone laugh all the time, smiles alot, until you look at her when she thinks no one is watching...you can see that she's REALLY unhappy. It's sad really. Very sad.

Anyway, I better stop or this could get very, very long...lol...I've seen your posts about clothing size lately, and you're doing great! I started a new job, so I've been reading here more than posting, and I wanted to take a minute to tell you congrats and shop, shop, shop! LOL.

Kim
OneKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:39 AM   #5  

Congrats!
I think people are noticing you more because you're probably glowing now~more self confidence~you feel better about how you look & people respond to it~the more confidence you get,the more response you will get~get used to it!!!
Best wishes on your continued success!!!
2CMEAGAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:10 AM   #6  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Lydia, you are very welcome.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:35 PM   #7  

Height: 5'6"

WTG, I agree that the way we are treated is a mix of how the world views us and how we take that in and then react to the world around us. There is definately a real discrimination in this world about all kinds of different people, so we are not imagining that people tend to treat us differently at times, but there are times when our insecurities and our own unhappiness tends to push people away. I tend to avoid eye contact with people because I am shy and uncomfortable, but I know that when I weighed less before I was much more confident, willing to put myself out there and be in new situations because I felt better about myself and how people would react to me. We definately gain confidence as we lose weight, not only in the way we look but in our own ability to be in control of our life, and that does come across. Keep up the great work and the confidence and great outlook!!
MelodyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:23 AM   #8  
sli
On A Mission

S/C/G: 209/135/130

WTG, Congratultions!!!
sli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:32 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

WTG -- I know what you mean about being in this for life!!!

And I agree with a number of the other posters... sometimes people treat us differently when we're fat because we ACT differently!

You can keep pinching yourself, but it's real!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote