3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Mini-Goals (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals-201/)
-   -   A major NSV for me! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals/88756-major-nsv-me.html)

HealthierMe 07-08-2006 02:33 PM

A major NSV for me!

I have been faithfully dieting and exercising since January but have not lost much weight. Still I feel better, have so much more energy and got two thumbs up at my physical last month. The thing is I've always thought that I didn't let my weight hold me back from doing things, but that wasn't completely true.

My DH loves to kayak, and last summer for his birthday we got a tandem kayak. He's used it frequently, as time and the local weather will allow, and often takes our 5 yr old son with him, but I hadn't gone with them yet. It was never a "convenient" time.

Last weekend, he said "Why don't you get your bathing suit and shorts on"
and when I asked why, he said we where going out in the kayak. Well, I had this small sense of panic. all these thoughts ran through my head - will the boat support us both, will I look foolish, will other people watching think what is that chubby woman doing?

Well, I decided "Why NOT, what's the worst that can happen?", this is something I wanted to do, and deep down needed to do. So I went and I held my own, I let him manuver it, but I did my share of the paddling. I learned that I really enjoyed it, loved it actually, and it helped me to see some real payback from all my time logged with cardio classes and WATP tapes.

We've gone out a few times since, and I even went out the other day with just my son, while my husband stayed on the shore, so I could get use to manuvering. It would have been SOOOO easy to give into the old thought patterns, but I really would have missed out. Now this is something active that the three of us can enjoy.

I think that the community here really prompted me to give this a try and discard those old thinking patterns and for that I am very grateful. Thanks for letting me share:hug:

lilybelle 07-08-2006 02:43 PM

Congratulations that sounds like so much fun. Enjoy it and I know your son and DH are glad to have you out there too. Don't let weight issues hold you back, life is too short.

2CMEAGAIN 07-09-2006 08:13 AM

That's awesome Chris!!!:carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

sli 07-10-2006 09:53 AM

GOOD FOR YOU!!!
Congrats!!!

MelodyL 07-10-2006 04:37 PM

That is great! Like lillybelle said, I'm sure that it makes your son and husband so happy to have you out there with them and it sounds like you are having a great time doing it!!

Misti in Seattle 07-10-2006 08:16 PM

That's wonderful, Chris! I am proud of you for giving it a try, and happy for the big NSV!!

HealthierMe 07-11-2006 08:15 PM

Thanks!

Thanks everyone, it's one of those things that is about so much more than the event itself. It seems it can be as hard to change the mental stuff as it is to lose the weight.