Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 05-29-2006, 10:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 179/

Height: 5feet 2 inches

Default Walking

I made a goal for this week to go out for a walk each day. I started yesterday, Sunday and went out again today.
I walked 2230 steps roughly 1/2 a mile today.
I have osteo arthritis in my hip lower back and knees so I don't think I did too bad. I am pleased with what I have done, it proves I can do it.
Wulfcwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 217.8 / 172 / 140

hey there! that's a fantastic goal and a great start!!!

I actually decided to do that yesterday too - although i also added a bit of jogging on mine. I'm not a jogger by any means at all - and on the trail near my apartment, they have mile markers...i am ONLY able to BARELY jog for 2 minutes at a 1/4 mile each time - then i have to stop and walk for 5 minutes (which is another 1/4 mile) in order to catch my breath.

but I decided yesterday that I have one more week and 2 days until Vacation (going to Belize) and I will do this once a day - 20 or 30 minutes out of my day...and hopefully keep up with it once i get back.

but anyways - I just wanteed to say, congratulations!! that's a fantastic start! :-D
Ultimategurrl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:01 PM   #3  

Good job! It's great setting goals & reaching them!
2CMEAGAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:30 PM   #4  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Congratulations on your exercise. I know this is a big step. It feels great to learn that you can do something that you thought you couldn't do. Great job.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:42 PM   #5  

Good for you! Half a mile is a respectable distance for anyone, even without osteoarthritis. It's enough to get your circulation and respiration going, not strain yourself.

I used to be a major walker, but not for the last several years. A couple of weeks ago, I started walking again and could barely drag myself (at the slowest of plods) even a third of the reduced distance I'd managed just last fall. I've been walking every day but one since then, and I finally regained the distance I had last fall, and in a little less time! Just in the last two days, I've started feeling some energy to walk -- sometimes I'm actually walking, and not just dragging myself.

Like you, I intend to keep it up. I also vary my walk length, sometimes walking half the distance I can do. The area where I'm walking is slightly hilly, so that adds to the effort for me. I finally gave myself permission to walk a more level stretch on some days. And after those easier days, I find I want the challenge of the hilly parts!
Siena1383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 179/

Height: 5feet 2 inches

Great job Siena and Ultimategurrl. It is such a good feeling to do something like this isn't it.
I love walking and we have some lovely walks around here as well. There is one that takes you along the canal. We have a Red Way system that is for pedestrians and cyclists you can get to parks and houseing estates wthout worrying about traffic. I use it a lot and will hopefully be able to get to the park that is not too far away.
Well time to call it a day CSI has just started so bye for now.
Wulfcwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 250/184.4/146

Height: 5'2"

Congratulations on starting walking!
I also have osteoarthritis in my hips, knees and lower back. I tried jogging for short periods of time and almost crippled myself. It took me two weeks befor I could just walk normally without hurting. I started back and this time only did 15 minutes at a time. I'm now doing 1 hour and 10 minutes or 4 1/2 miles. I find it seems to grow on you, the more you do it, the more you want to do it. When I went out of town this past weekend, I even walked for 1 hour. I just got myself up a little early and set out walking. I was able to see some different neighborhoods and felt good the rest of the day.
Good luck to you and keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
exquisitern is offline   Reply With Quote