3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Mini-Goals (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals-201/)
-   -   NSV - It Fits 14 Years After Purchase (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals/290511-nsv-fits-14-years-after-purchase.html)

Amy Remixed 12-10-2013 04:15 PM

NSV - It Fits 14 Years After Purchase

In 1999, I ordered a dress from abbielynn.com. It was my first clothing purchase online. Abbie Lynn Kearse was a MTV reporter who started her own line of stylish clothes for plus size women. I was so excited. This was the benefit of the internet... more options!!! It was a super cute peasant dress called "The Drew", after Drew Barrymore. I spent a lot of money. It was over $100. I figured that was OK because I was supporting a small business.

Imagine my disappointment when it arrived and I could barely squeeze into it. I looked like a 10 pound sausage in a 5 pound bag. It looked painful. I kept it and told myself, "One day I'll fit into it."

Every few years I try it on and laugh. SO TIGHT! Then I get sad because I have not made progress since 1999. I refused to get rid of it. Seriously... One day I'll fit into it!

14 years later... I fit into it! Comfortably! Too bad it's a summer dress and it's now winter. By the time summer comes around it will be way too big. ;)

joefla70 12-10-2013 04:31 PM

As exited as you are now... you'll be just as excited, if not more, when you give it to goodwill because its too big on you!

I had a related experience. I had suits in my closet that I had not worn in about 20 years. But I held on to them. About a year ago I was able to fit into them. While I was wearing one I reached into a pocket and found a receipt from a hotel I had stayed in back in 1993! Another one of my suits had a different receipt that was from that same time. It wasn't that long after that I had to stop wearing those suits because they were too big on me.

delmarva 12-10-2013 04:33 PM

I just had this experience too. I was so thrilled! I was able to wear all my beautiful black wool coats, some with lovely trim. They fit beautifully. I was just ecstatic! These were coats I had back in the day when I was a rising star at my workplace (let's just say that my star has settled since then!) So, they were gorgeous. I am so glad I kept them. It's been 22 years!!!!!

newleaf123 12-11-2013 01:08 PM

That is awesome!! I am so happy for you!

lotsakids 12-11-2013 03:53 PM

so cool!! You will enjoy not fitting into it the other way!

SparklyBunny 12-12-2013 01:33 AM

I also got really happy reading this :-)

I don't have any particular clothes I want to fit into, except for one pair of jeans I've never fit into and I still hold onto them :-) I have toyed with the idea of deliberately buying a smaller size dress. It would be my reward/carrot :-) I just got a coupon to this online store and I'm actually considering buying a slinky black dress in medium (38)... I just don't know if it would be terribly silly, because even if I would fit into it, it might not be a great fit for my body type and I wouldn't be able to return it anymore if and when I do fit in it. We'll see :-)

Mad Donnelly 12-12-2013 02:47 AM

Yeah, I have stuff like that, too. I just went "shopping" in my closet and found a few things with tags still on I had put out of mind. I can't yet fit in them, but they will be my next size down (or 2 depending on how they fit). So for inspiration, they are hanging prominently now instead of at the back of the closet. Yes, it's been a waste but not anymore since they will be helping through the transition till I HAVE to buy new clothes.

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar057...2/142/191/.png

scarletmeshell 12-13-2013 11:11 AM

That is wonderful! Congrats!

Secret Swan 12-14-2013 01:31 PM

Congratulations! I've been worried about shopping online because I am not sure of my current/near future size, but you've given me the confidence to just err on the small side and make it happen!

gembabe 12-15-2013 06:02 AM

That is so great!

gonnadoitthistime 12-15-2013 01:06 PM

I am so glad I stumbled onto this thread! Clothes are my go to for checking actual progress, and it was a few items that actually got me motivated, but mine are all thrift shop/resale shop cheapies. Boy does it feel good to put something on that a few short weeks earlier was too tight to zip, then a few more weeks later, is actually loose.
This process has also caused me to appreciate my body again, makes me feel ok to really look in the mirror rather than squint at my reflection and be horrified! Here's to wardrobe motivation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

melodymist 12-15-2013 01:34 PM

Whooo hooo! Congrats! :) Keep it up!

Jenn79 12-20-2013 05:23 PM

Add leggings and a cardigan, even if you only wear it a couple of times, you will enjoy it!

AliMarie91011 12-22-2013 05:10 PM

Wow, that's awesome! Way to go!

Mozzy 12-23-2013 07:26 PM

Awesomeness!