3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Mini-Goals (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals-201/)
-   -   Just ran 3.5 miles in 35 minutes! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals/282947-just-ran-3-5-miles-35-minutes.html)

IanG 06-04-2013 10:43 AM

Just ran 3.5 miles in 35 minutes!

Absolutely amazing. So over the weekend, I was running 2.5 - 2.6 miles a day outside. Yesterday I had a rest day.

Today, I hit the treadmill at the gym. Anyway, I hit 2.5 miles and just felt like I could keep going. 2.8 miles I thought. Nope, felt like I could keep going when I made that. So I hit 3.1 miles (5k) and couldn't quite believe what was going on. I was looking around and smiling and people! People were getting on the treadmills next to me while I was running and leaving before I was done! At 3.5 miles I decided to stop. The longest run I have ever done!

Now, I am sure that some of this is because treadmill running is probably easier than running outside due to inclines etc. but it still feels absolutely great!

Now I just need to edge my outside distances up.

zoesmom 06-04-2013 10:49 AM

:cheer:

AMAZING!!!!!

nitrus29 06-04-2013 10:50 AM

woah awesome!! :carrot: I have just started running on the treadmill and the number of times I need to tell myself to keep going and not stop !! :dizzy: Would love to reach where you have !! Way to Go !!!!

Silverfire 06-04-2013 11:07 AM

Holy crap!!!! That is so awesome Ian! You totally rocked that run :D Keep it up.

elvislover324 06-04-2013 11:20 AM

Wow, Ian!! Congrats on the great run!!! Keep up the great work!

:running::running::running::running::running:

Meenaa 06-04-2013 11:26 AM

Awesome!!

SuperCecilia 06-04-2013 11:26 AM

Rock on! That is wicked fast! :)

NeeneeKhaleesi 06-04-2013 11:53 AM

Woot! That sounds liberating! Awesome.

IanG 06-04-2013 12:40 PM

Thanks everyone. I do not know how it happened.

Practice helps but until now I was only upping my distances by 0.1 of a mile or so every now and again. And then I would be exhausted at the end.

I just felt like I could keep going this time. It was mad.

I guess the rest day may have been a factor.

And I think the weight loss too. Starting running at a heavier weight and then having the weight come off might be giving me a boost.

TripSwitch 06-04-2013 01:19 PM

Congrats! That's awesome!

So you know what this means... It's time to enter a local 5k... and start collecting "race" t-shirts... lol...

I can't wait for your first "race" report... I'm sure it won't be long.... :)

elvislover324 06-04-2013 04:03 PM

Just thought I'd let you know, Ian. I ran today. Because of this thread. Because of your inspiration and reading that you were smiling at people when you were near the end. I wanted that euphoric feeling too. And I got it. :) It was supposed to be my day off running. And I have been in a running funk since I finished the c25k training. I posted last night that I lost my groove and didn't know how to get it back. This post did it.

Thank you. We never know who we might inspire when we post something here. I wouldn't have done it today without feeling the enthusiasm of this post!

:running::running::running::running::running:

merilung 06-04-2013 04:09 PM

That's AWESOME, Ian! Did you follow a specific running program, or did you just wing it?

IanG 06-04-2013 04:19 PM

Thanks Elvis. It makes me feel special to hear that. And well done with the run!

Merilung: I did not follow a specific program. I used to do (and still do) a fair amount of walking (1 mile to work, 1 mile back again) and when my weight got down to the 220s-ish Diana on 3FC suggested I should give it a go. I thought she was crazy at first. But I did try the treadmill in the gym when no-one was looking and was initially surprised how easy it was on my knees. I ran half a mile on that first attempt at about 4mph.

Once I did that, I started to up the distance. First to a mile. Then to 1.2 etc. I got the speed up to about 6mph which is where I have stayed.

Once I got to 2 miles I did my first outside run. And took it from there. Just a little bit longer every now and again.

But today I went the extra distance because I wasn't getting too tired or hot for some reason which is normally my limiting factor with respect to distance.

lilsquirrel 06-04-2013 09:11 PM

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...1D11qapps3.gif

Well done Ian!!! :D You really are inspiring to me. I'm working my way through C25K and I know how hard that is. :)

newleaf123 06-04-2013 09:25 PM

Ian, you have been so successful on this journey -- congratulations on this milestone!!